PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento area gunsmith recommendation?

johnny_boy02
09-05-2012, 6:52 PM
Sorry, I am sure this has been covered before but I need a Gunsmith in the Sacramento area to fix a 1911.

By "Sacramento area" I am open to Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, etc.

Sadly I can not find anyone local to me with a decent reputation.

Anti-Hero
09-05-2012, 7:44 PM
Gary Thiry (assuming he's still alive) is an old-school, classically trained gunsmith.

https://plus.google.com/115566757593560200994/about?gl=us&hl=en

madstyle1
09-05-2012, 8:21 PM
Just guns off of auburn blvd and watt has a gunsmith.

pyromensch
09-05-2012, 8:23 PM
Gary Thiry (assuming he's still alive) is an old-school, classically trained gunsmith.

https://plus.google.com/115566757593560200994/about?gl=us&hl=en

i think both of you are talking about the same person. last i heard gary, was hooked up with "just guns". (may be wrong).
if anyone recommends "charlie young" PM me, before you go there, i will give you one sad story.

bruss01
09-05-2012, 8:26 PM
I find that the word "gunsmith" means different things to different people.

There are folks out there who can swap out old parts for new on a few of the most popular make & model of guns and call themselves a "gunsmith". Sorry, not even close in my book.

There are guys out there who can start with a block of metal and a barrel and build a gun with their own tools. Now that's more like it. That's a real gunsmith.

There are a lot more of the former than the latter running around. Most gun store "gunsmiths" are of the former variety.

I have taken one gun for service to Maroviov. It's a little out there distance wise from me but he didn't even blink when I asked him to put 3 dot sights on my Yugo M57 pistol. He did it on time and on budget too. That's probably a little closer to what most of us mean when we speak of a "gunsmith".

johnny_boy02
09-05-2012, 8:36 PM
Is Maroviov the place in Woodland?

Woodland is a bit faster for me than Sacramento so that is an option.

InGrAM
09-05-2012, 8:37 PM

Their "gunsmith" couldn't even dovetail a front sight slot in my RIA.

Not exactly a real "gunsmith", IMO.

bloodhawke83
09-05-2012, 8:37 PM
Nice, i gotta look up that guy in woodland next time i go there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MiddleKingdom
09-05-2012, 9:07 PM
If you're willing to brave a trip to Stockton Ken Genecco is great with an exceptional reputation.

pyromensch
09-05-2012, 9:41 PM
I find that the word "gunsmith" means different things to different people.

There are folks out there who can swap out old parts for new on a few of the most popular make & model of guns and call themselves a "gunsmith". Sorry, not even close in my book.

There are guys out there who can start with a block of metal and a barrel and build a gun with their own tools. Now that's more like it. That's a real gunsmith.

There are a lot more of the former than the latter running around. Most gun store "gunsmiths" are of the former variety.

I have taken one gun for service to Maroviov. It's a little out there distance wise from me but he didn't even blink when I asked him to put 3 dot sights on my Yugo M57 pistol. He did it on time and on budget too. That's probably a little closer to what most of us mean when we speak of a "gunsmith".
i follow this logic, if i didn't , i can be a gunsmith. however the OP, didn't mention the kind of "gunsmithing", that he/she would need.

ROCKETW19
09-06-2012, 12:43 AM
http://jrhgunmaker.com/

this guy take a block of metal and turn it into a hand cannon. pretty far drive though.

Krill
09-06-2012, 12:58 AM
J & G gunsmithing is in granite bay. It does not outwardly look like a gun shop also. used them once, Prices were decent for me.

bruss01
09-06-2012, 7:08 AM
J & G gunsmithing is in granite bay. It does not outwardly look like a gun shop also. used them once, Prices were decent for me.

I had an unpleasant experience with them. I needed some custom work on an old milsurp and the only thing they were capable of doing was swapping out the barrel - which I expressly forbid. They weren't open to any other options, such as relining or rechambering. I'm sure they can do trigger jobs on Win 70's or Rem 700's but I suspect that if you want more than parts-swapping on garden variety guns, then you'll end up finding your needs met elsewhere.

Oh, forgot to mention they kept my gun six months to come back and tell me this... and when I finally heard back it was because I chased THEM down, not because they called me.

Oh, and on a subsequent trip there I just needed a simple screw, and had the gun along with me to show the what/where/why. They gave me a screw and I was on my merry way. Got home, sat down with the screwdriver... damn screw doesn't fit the hole. WTF?!!! I may not be a mechanical genius but if someone brings you the exact hole you should be able to supply a screw that fits or say you don't have one. Just unacceptable.

At Maroviov he took one look and handed me the correct screw. Total time, 5 seconds. Well, plus the drive all the way out to Woodland. But that was the day I was dropping off the Yugo M57 so I was already making the trip anyway.

daveinwoodland
09-06-2012, 7:15 AM

He actually has quite a good reputation and I have also dealt with him a few times over the years and had very good work and service. He is a bit quiet/introverted kind of guy but sure knows his craft.

Tack425
09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Anyone know of a quality gunsmith in the San Jose area? I need some work on my 1911.

Thanks in advance

johnny_boy02
11-06-2012, 4:37 PM
I ended up going to Maroviov.

Just to update this:

When I dropped the gun off I was told 2 weeks till it would be done. I picked the gun up 6 weeks later. No communication in between.

When I got there He said he checked the gun out, fired a box of ammo and did a trigger job. Charged me $100. I never requested a trigger job?.....

I get home, go to the range and the gun is still broke.

So I now have a gun that is still broke and a $100 trigger job I didnt ask for.

I just got off the phone with RIA and they are hopefully going to take care of me.

9mmepiphany
11-06-2012, 6:17 PM
You still haven't told us what is broken on your 1911

jeffrice6
11-06-2012, 7:59 PM
PM 1911whore here on CG's. Great guy that does outstanding work! Plus reasonable pricing and fast turnaround times...... Located in Rocklin

unamused
11-06-2012, 9:43 PM

I got my ghost ring sights installed through him .

johnny_boy02
11-06-2012, 11:53 PM
You still haven't told us what is broken on your 1911

I still don't know what is broken.... It randomly fires 2 rounds at a time or if it is feeling froggy it will unload what remains in the mag.

9mmepiphany
11-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I still don't know what is broken.... It randomly fires 2 rounds at a time or if it is feeling froggy it will unload what remains in the mag.
It sounds like a sear/hammer or disconnector issue and is usually corrected by performing a trigger job...adjusting the sear/hammer engagement...especially if he wasn't able to replicate the problem

Just curious, after you press off a shot, do you hold the trigger to the rear as it recoils? You could be getting trigger bounce

johnny_boy02
11-07-2012, 9:01 AM
I am not what you mean by "hold the trigger to the rear" do you mean keeping it pressed down? If so then no, I release and get ready for the next shot. This has never been an issue with any of my other guns.

What really blows is the trigger feels great now. Had the problem been fixed I would be ok with it. But now RIA is going to pull all the parts out I just paid to have worked on and replace them.

ROCKETW19
11-07-2012, 9:21 AM
I am not what you mean by "hold the trigger to the rear" do you mean keeping it pressed down? If so then no, I release and get ready for the next shot. This has never been an issue with any of my other guns.

What really blows is the trigger feels great now. Had the problem been fixed I would be ok with it. But now RIA is going to pull all the parts out I just paid to have worked on and replace them.

did you ask gunsmith to re-check it?
maybe he thought it was fixed and couldnt get it to go auto?
all else fails tell him it happened again and RAI is fixing will he do the trigger over when it gets back, maybe a discount?

sorry for your troubles I am just throwing ideas out to help ease the pain.

9mmepiphany
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I am not what you mean by "hold the trigger to the rear" do you mean keeping it pressed down?
Yes, I'm referring to the follow-though after the trigger press to insure you aren't releasing the trigger too early.

This has never been an issue with any of my other guns.
Are these other 1911s?

The linkage of the 1911 is a bit different than many other platforms. While techniques developed for the 1911 are often applied to other guns, the reverse hasn't always provided positive results.

Have you had other shooters try the pistol?
Have they had similar results?

johnny_boy02
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
did you ask gunsmith to re-check it?
maybe he thought it was fixed and couldnt get it to go auto?
all else fails tell him it happened again and RAI is fixing will he do the trigger over when it gets back, maybe a discount?

sorry for your troubles I am just throwing ideas out to help ease the pain.

All good ideas.

The main problem is the gunsmith 40 miles away. So I am already into the gun for what I paid, $100 to "fix it", and one round trip of fuel. The whole point of getting the gun fixed is because I am not working and I sold off 95% of my firearms. Im not ok with selling the gun broke so I wanted to do the right thing and get it fixed.

Im just trying to cut my losses.

johnny_boy02
11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes, I'm referring to the follow-though after the trigger press to insure you aren't releasing the trigger too early.

Are these other 1911s?

The linkage of the 1911 is a bit different than many other platforms. While techniques developed for the 1911 are often applied to other guns, the reverse hasn't always provided positive results.

Have you had other shooters try the pistol?
Have they had similar results?

Yes other 1911's and Glocks.

I dont really have any friends near me that shoot. Or know anyone that can try it.

I am hoping RIA can fix the problem 100% and I can sell the gun.