PDA

View Full Version : tristar viper g2?

chicoredneck
09-05-2012, 3:29 PM
What is the word on these?

My wife was gifted an nice 60's 870 wingmaster that was barely used and had the stock shortened. She nor I liked the shotgun. It is had too much recoil for her to shoot comfortably. I have a benelli sbe I use for everything so the 870 was just sitting in the safe.

My wife likes my benelli (it has a limbsaver), but liked the 1100 20ga she was shooting this weekend even better (softer recoil). So here is the conundrum. She likes the soft recoil of a gas gun, wants to shoot 3" shells and prefers a 12ga (she has shot 12ga berettas and handles them just fine), but we are limiting our budget to 500 or under. We sold the 870 to help fund the purchase.

We handled some used 1187's, but I have not been overly impressed with 1187s for a variety of reasons and they run slightly over our budget.

We looked at some turkish guns and the stoeger2000 is out becuase it uses the inertia system (more recoil), so we settled on the tristar viper g2. My only hang up is I know nothing of the company or their quality. They do come with a 5 year warranty. The gas system is very similar to a berreta and an SKB I used to own.

Anybody have experience with these guns?

chicoredneck
09-06-2012, 4:10 AM
:gene:

crackerman
09-06-2012, 8:43 AM
Its a turkish made shotgun that has been rebranded as other shotguns over time. Like you said, basically a clone of a Beretta.

Since its not your primay gun, and since it doesn't sound like the last one you will buy her get it.

As long as its not the primary gun on a trip to Argentina or she is not planning to be the next Kim Rhode it should work great.Slowly save up for another SBE or M2 etc for her as budget allows but get the wife out shooting now. Sounds like you have a goal for a present for the Birthday/Anniversery/Christmas in 2 or 3 years.

Javi
09-06-2012, 8:47 AM
Have you checked out CZ's collection? They're a bigger company than Tristar so I trust them more with warranty/parts n' such.

chicoredneck
09-06-2012, 9:24 AM
Its a turkish made shotgun that has been rebranded as other shotguns over time. Like you said, basically a clone of a Beretta.

Since its not your primay gun, and since it doesn't sound like the last one you will buy her get it.

As long as its not the primary gun on a trip to Argentina or she is not planning to be the next Kim Rhode it should work great.Slowly save up for another SBE or M2 etc for her as budget allows but get the wife out shooting now. Sounds like you have a goal for a present for the Birthday/Anniversery/Christmas in 2 or 3 years.

Yes, if she shows more interest in shotgunning, an upgrade is in her furture. I just don't want to spend big bucks on something that will not be enjoyed or used.

chicoredneck
09-06-2012, 9:27 AM
Have you checked out CZ's collection? They're a bigger company than Tristar so I trust them more with warranty/parts n' such.

I was not aware CZ made auto loaders. What model do you reccomend?

Company size is not too much of a concern for me. I'm a small company and I like my product!:D

Javi
09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
I was not aware CZ made auto loaders. What model do you reccomend?

Company size is not too much of a concern for me. I'm a small company and I like my product!:D

Haha no doubt. I think I made a thread about a Tristar autoloader and I did get my mind changed because I would hate if the company went under or something where I don't have available parts & I'm stuck with a large paperweight. CZ has the 712, 720 & 912 semi-autos gas guns. The 912 is just a slightly fancier version of the 712, I was going to get that one. They're all at very attractive prices as are their over-unders.

lapsbpbep
09-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a tristar pump shot gun 12 gauge looks like a mosburg 500 clone have had a few thing wrong fireing return spring that had to be shortened. And evertime u rack the gun eanted to dump 2 rounds in they fix it no problem i got it for 163.$ out the door i use it as a beater gun hope rhat helps i know its not the auto but at least the take care of issues u have with there guns

elSquid
09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
My wife likes my benelli (it has a limbsaver), but liked the 1100 20ga she was shooting this weekend even better (softer recoil). So here is the conundrum. She likes the soft recoil of a gas gun, wants to shoot 3" shells and prefers a 12ga (she has shot 12ga berettas and handles them just fine), but we are limiting our budget to 500 or under. We sold the 870 to help fund the purchase.

Would it make sense to hold off on the purchase long enough to save up the extra coin to get a...

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-citizen-synthetic/?F_All=Y

?

-- Michael

chicoredneck
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Haha no doubt. I think I made a thread about a Tristar autoloader and I did get my mind changed because I would hate if the company went under or something where I don't have available parts & I'm stuck with a large paperweight. CZ has the 712, 720 & 912 semi-autos gas guns. The 912 is just a slightly fancier version of the 712, I was going to get that one. They're all at very attractive prices as are their over-unders.

That 912 is an attractive gun and uses a similar gas system as the new berettas. If we were in the market for a nice walnut auto-loader, I would seriusly consider it. I want to get her a synthetic, though. We beat the living H#$ out of our shotguns. Not that my wife will (she is still new to shotgunning), but if this becomes her go to gun that pretty wood and finish will not last long.

chicoredneck
09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Would it make sense to hold off on the purchase long enough to save up the extra coin to get a...

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-citizen-synthetic/?F_All=Y

?

-- Michael

It's not a matter of holding off. We could afford to go over our budget, but I just don't want to drop too much coin just yet. I'm not sure if this is something my wife is going to seriously do, or just a passing interest. She likes to hunt and actually is a very knowledgable and experienced rifleman, she is just not much of a wing shooter at the moment. Shotguns are new to her.

My though is to buy a less expensive autoloader now for her to use. If she shows further interest the 3901 was actually on my list of upgrades. We would then use her old shotgun as a loaner and back-up. If she decides she isn't into wing shooting after all, I still have an inexpensive loaner/back up.

Javi
09-06-2012, 9:12 PM
That 912 is an attractive gun and uses a similar gas system as the new berettas. If we were in the market for a nice walnut auto-loader, I would seriusly consider it. I want to get her a synthetic, though. We beat the living H#$ out of our shotguns. Not that my wife will (she is still new to shotgunning), but if this becomes her go to gun that pretty wood and finish will not last long.

I hear ya. Does look pretty nice although I've seen nicer ;) The 712 is duller, if that helps and it functions the same for the most part.Honestly for a retail price of $528.00 on the 912, I wouldn't worry about it very much haha. I was going to recommend the new Franchi Affinity but it retails for $849(3901 is cheaper).

GrapesOfWrath
10-24-2012, 9:34 AM
I picked up a Viper G2 in 20 gauge for my son a short while ago. Have put 400-500 shells through easily. Zero problems. Very robust gun.

Manufactured by Armsan, which is not a small firm. Parts are interchangeable with many guns under other brands - easy search.

He shot a 52/100 first time out with it at a fancy sporting clay course in Western PA that featured Berreta's and Krieghoffs.

Super happy with a $450 gun for him to grow with. Came with a full size stock that I put on it and lent to some guys fro a cast and blast. They loved the gun.

I'm thinking about a camo 12 gauge for a beater duck gun instead of throwing down $1500 for an A400 - though I want the Berreta