PDA

View Full Version : Socal LAX shooting range, Safe?

ScottyBear
06-25-2007, 1:48 PM
Anyone swear by this range for practice? Being in Inglewood, I am noticing it not in the safest area. Anyone have any experience there or could recommend a better/safer range on the Los Angeles West Side?

This is the homepage:
http://www.laxrange.com/

Sydwaiz
06-25-2007, 2:20 PM
It's actually quiet around there. If there is no parking in front or on the street in front, you'll have to park around the back and walk through the carwash. It borders Westchester which is a quiet neighborhood and only a block from where I grew up. I would actually venture to say it's still in Westchester but not too many people are familiar with that compared to Inglewatts. :p

oaklander
06-25-2007, 2:43 PM
You could always bring a gun!

:D

ScottyBear
06-25-2007, 5:17 PM
Lol, but I was actually more worried about the shooters inside, whether or not they were gangsters or didn't know how to shoot.

You could always bring a gun!

:D

markymark
06-25-2007, 6:51 PM
I've been there once. It wasn't unsafe inside but I didn't like how they inspect your gun prior to going in. I also don't like the attitude of the owner guy.

Oh yeah, and parking sucks too.

1911su16b870
06-25-2007, 8:58 PM
I go to LAX (firing range that is :)) when I want to shoot 223 or 308 because they allow you to do that with their frangible ammo. Its really the only place close in the beach cities/south bay of LA. I've never, ever had a problem there. Parking can be a bit of a challenge and they charge by the hour, so get down to biz when your in the stalls.

five.five-six
06-25-2007, 9:15 PM
there can be some real GangStars running around inside. I worked down the street for years and would spend my lunch there.. around noon you can even park out front.. and the gangstas are still sleeping

frangables suck

GlockComa
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I've been LAX a couple times and just like Markymark said I didn't like how they inspect your gun and also the range prices. When I went they tried pushing their membership on me and stuff which I didnt like.

If its handgun plinking I want to do I just go down to Sharpshooters.
And outdoor ranges for rifle plinking.

aplinker
06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Anyone swear by this range for practice? Being in Inglewood, I am noticing it not in the safest area. Anyone have any experience there or could recommend a better/safer range on the Los Angeles West Side?

This is the homepage:
http://www.laxrange.com/

I go all the time. I've never had an issue with the people in the range or shady people outside. I've never seen anything I would feel unsafe about. There are a couple of employees who have an attitude, but most of them are fine. The option to shoot rifles with frangibles is nice, too.

They also have decent prices on ammunition, if you buy by the case.

One other thing I make sure to tell people is that, if you choose to rent something, you can rent everything. One fee and you can trade out which gun you shoot as many times as you like. The highest fee (the most expensive is a TRP at $20) is the only one you pay. This is nice for whenever I'm trying to decide my next purchase -- their selection variety is quite good.

Greg-Dawg
06-27-2007, 7:45 PM
I had a bad experience leaving the firing line. Right when I'm walking out the door, some gangster looking dude that knows nothing of #1 Gun Safety Rule http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp points his Glock straight at me. I had to dodge him, until he realized what he was doing.

I'd go again, but need to be aware of shiesters.

1911su16b870
06-27-2007, 8:25 PM
...If its handgun plinking I want to do I just go down to Sharpshooters...

+1 Sharpshooters is really nice.

markymark
06-27-2007, 8:42 PM
I like Sharpshooter as well. Never had a bad experience there.

FreshTapCoke
06-27-2007, 9:12 PM
I personally prefer to go to Sharpshooters over LAX Firing Range. There are a lot less 'mysterious holes' in the immediate ceiling and forward benches.

I've never had any issues when I used to shoot there but I know of at least one instance of a man being held up a gunpoint outside of the range. He managed to chase them away though.

The only time I've had my head swept at the range was at the Firing Line in Reseda which I refuse to patronize after the owner and an employee threatened to send their police friends after me if I continued to talk about off-list-lowers.

glockman19
06-27-2007, 9:53 PM
for long guns I like Angeles it's worth the drive for longer shots. For handguns I go to The Firing Line Northridge or Burbank.

pipskicks
06-28-2007, 1:21 PM
Will not go to LAX. Too ghetto, Sharpshooters is one I never checked out, I like Firing Line.

jj37
06-28-2007, 3:18 PM
i go there every once in a while. parking is pretty crappy like everyone says, and i've been muzzleswept by the wannabe gangsters which is not too cool. the good thing about lax is that they let you swap rental guns as many times as you want.

GoBig
07-13-2007, 8:02 PM
I go at least once a week and haven't had any problems. They checked my ammo and guns once, but not anymore. I haven't seen any gangsters, but I only go during the day.