PDA

View Full Version : Voulntary Registration question

surplus-addict
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
We've been helping a few neighbors clean their house, and they've founds some pistols they bought back in the 70's and 80's and just forgot about, and now want to register, but some of them aren't on the roster.

Does a firearm have to still be on the roster to be voluntarily registered?

Carbuncle
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
No.

m1match
09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
If they bought the pistols in the 70s and 80s, there is no legal requirement that they be registered, they are still the legal owners. The only difference that I'm aware of if you legally own a registered vs unregistered handgun is that if you get arrested on a wobbler concealed weapons charge, with a registered handgun the DA can choose to prosecute as a misdemeanor but if it's unregistered it's a felony.

surplus-addict
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
They just want them registered, and I told them that it's not necessary, but they were adamant.

Lead Waster
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Registering is a good idea, especially if they get stolen.

kentactic
09-05-2012, 1:25 PM
Id never willingly give up my rights... Im sure the govt will gladly take down their name, address and pistols owned if theyd like. They might regret it later though.

sealocan
09-05-2012, 2:23 PM
I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but does anyone know what year registration (voluntary or otherwise)for handguns law started in California. according to this thread the 80's were okay so I'm guessing early 90's the law was passed, but I'm hoping someone can tell me the exact year and maybe they can tell me more about the history or even have a link to the law. thank you very much

surplus-addict
09-05-2012, 2:30 PM
I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but does anyone know what year registration (voluntary or otherwise)for handguns law started in California. according to this thread the 80's were okay so I'm guessing early 90's the law was passed, but I'm hoping someone can tell me the exact year and maybe they can tell me more about the history or even have a link to the law. thank you very much

1991, January 1st.

Librarian
09-05-2012, 2:44 PM
And see the wiki, link in my .sig -- timeline of CA gun laws thread

CSACANNONEER
09-05-2012, 2:51 PM
Registering is a good idea, especially if they get stolen.

Tell that to those who lived through the Nazi occupation of Germany. If you've never talked with someone who was there, you really need to. Personally, if my gun got stolen, I'd rather not get it back than be required to register it. Then again, I've listened to many of those with numbers tatooed on their forarms.

Bug Splat
09-05-2012, 4:14 PM
Tell that to those who lived through the Nazi occupation of Germany. If you've never talked with someone who was there, you really need to. Personally, if my gun got stolen, I'd rather not get it back than be required to register it. Then again, I've listened to many of those with numbers tatooed on their forarms.

DING DING DING DING!!!! Winner winner chicken dinner ^^^^^

The less people know about you the better. If they want to play sheep and give their info out then God be with them and I wish the the best of luck. I have relatives from Europe in WW2 and they could not fathom someone voluntarily giving up their weapons.

Librarian
09-06-2012, 2:37 PM
Dupe of thread in 2A - no need to re-post in different forums.