PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 BD 9mm First Impressions/Concerns

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 9:40 AM
Hey Everyone,

I brought home my brand new CZ 75 BD yesterday. I purchased it based on reputation and that I liked the way it felt and that it was a metal frame pistol. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend, but first I want to talk about my impressions of it and a few concerns I have.

Pros:
1. Great Balance and Weight. Easy to steady and point straight.
2. Trigger. I know some complain about the stock trigger, but mine is very crisp and easy to tell the breaking point.
3. Hammer is very easy to manually cock. Unlike my Sig Sp 2022.

Cons:
1. Finding the right grip. I purchased a hogue rubber grip with finger grooves because I heard that the stock plastic ones are cheap. I am noticing that the trigger guard is now rubbing my trigger hand middle finger. Not necessarily a knock on the gun itself, but I need help resolving it,
2. Slide is narrow and difficult to rack. The height of the slide is narrow and does not allow a lot of room to grab it. Also, mine seems very tight and hard to pull. Never had a problem with other handguns.
3. Sights. The sights are supposed to be high visibility green, but they seem small to me, and do not pick up well in a dim room.
4. Magazines. Not only are they expensive, but the ones that came with mine seem to rattle quite a bit. Even after knocking it on every side. The rounds will not settle.

I know this sounds slanted very negative, but I'm just trying to keep my original enthusiasm for the gun. Maybe my range time will remedy this.

Any helpful comments are appreciated. I am not bashing CZ. So please no haters ranting.

elsolo
09-05-2012, 9:54 AM
-Mags are cheap, Mecgar is the OEM and they are about $25
-The slide will be easier to manipulate is you change out the recoil spring to a 12#, you may want to try a different grasp on the slide using your whole left hand not just a thumb and index finger "slingshot" pinch.
-The factory sights are marginal, like 99% of service pistols

Quickdraw Mcgraw
09-05-2012, 9:59 AM
Suggestions...shoot it an see what everyone is talkin about...also rack it with four fingers an your palm, pull back hard and bump yourself in the chest when you do it...that's how you roll with these guys...Make your self comfortable racking the slide with snap caps befor your messing around with live ammo and a tight slide...coming from a guy who has been to Front Sight with my Cz and also been shot thru both legs by somone elses CZ. =(

zfields
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey Everyone,

I brought home my brand new CZ 75 BD yesterday. I purchased it based on reputation and that I liked the way it felt and that it was a metal frame pistol. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend, but first I want to talk about my impressions of it and a few concerns I have.

Pros:
2. Trigger. I know some complain about the stock trigger, but mine is very crisp and easy to tell the breaking point.

Cons:
1. Finding the right grip. I purchased a hogue rubber grip with finger grooves because I heard that the stock plastic ones are cheap. I am noticing that the trigger guard is now rubbing my trigger hand middle finger. Not necessarily a knock on the gun itself, but I need help resolving it,
I didn't mind the houges, but you are nocking a gun due to an aftermarket part. Get some RUBBER CZ grips. Much nicer IMO
2. Slide is narrow and difficult to rack. The height of the slide is narrow and does not allow a lot of room to grab it. Also, mine seems very tight and hard to pull. Never had a problem with other handguns.
Break in the gun a bit. Honestly I think the CZ's are easier to rack then the XD I had before, bout the same as a berreta. If it isnt a competition gun, a little grip tape goes a long way.
3. Sights. The sights are supposed to be high visibility green, but they seem small to me, and do not pick up well in a dim room.
Are they the trudot sights, or the standard?
4. Magazines. Not only are they expensive, but the ones that came with mine seem to rattle quite a bit. Even after knocking it on every side. The rounds will not settle.
Thats what happens when you buy 10 round mags. The rattle does't effect function at all.

I know this sounds slanted very negative, but I'm just trying to keep my original enthusiasm for the gun. Maybe my range time will remedy this.

Any helpful comments are appreciated. I am not bashing CZ. So please no haters ranting.

In bold.

Don't knock a gun until you shoot it.

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 10:13 AM
@zfields

I just saw the black rubber stock grips on czcustom. I think I'll return my hogue grip for that one.

I'm not sure about the sights. They are tiny pale green 3 dot sights.

I'm sure I will enjoy shooting the gun, but I'm not the only one knocking the lack of real estate to grip on the slide.

Euphoria526
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
^^^^^
What fields said.
Did you put the grips on before you shot with the stock grips? I have the hard plastic ones on my SA and I have no problems with them at all,CZ rubber ones on my p01, I'll prob order the rubber fort SA as well.
You just have to go shoot the gun to find the right feeling grip with it, and break it in, it'll be much easier to rack after that!!!
Just out of curiosity, do you grab the rear of the slide or more twords the front?
I've noticed it's harder to rack more near the front of gun.

email
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I have a CZ85 BD Police (SDN Mexico...Federale weapon).

Do your sights glow in the dark? Mine are not tritium, but have some sort of glow in the dark feature. (not particularly useful)

hkdad
09-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Mags expensive??? Oh well... $25 for a magazine is super cheap!!! :confused:

Just the basepad for a 2011 mag cost already $30-$35.

zfields
09-05-2012, 10:35 AM
@zfields

I just saw the black rubber stock grips on czcustom. I think I'll return my hogue grip for that one.

I'm not sure about the sights. They are tiny pale green 3 dot sights.

I'm sure I will enjoy shooting the gun, but I'm not the only one knocking the lack of real estate to grip on the slide.

On the side of the sight, does it say "tru dot", if not its just a plain sight, no good for dim/low light.

I hear you on the slide size, you get used to it.

StefanJanowski
09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
When you wanna ditch your lemon, let me know im near Napa.

Euphoria526
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Musicmatt-
Check out while machine.com for mags and mag kits.
.44mag has pretty good ones as well. Cheaperthandirt.com has mags as well.
There out there just gotta find them.

Czsp-01-9mm
09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
The factory 10 rd mags rattle when fully loaded if you load 9 they don't rattle, but they still function with 10 you stop noticing after awhile, as for racking the cz comes with a stiff recoil spring so like zfield said swap it out or fire the gun and start breaking it in

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
What website are you finding Mecgar 10 round 9mm mags for $25? I haven't found them yet.
I will usually rack the slide whatever way is easiest. Seems like slingshot is the only way to go on the CZ.
I'm not home now so I'll check on the sights later.
@Stefan
- If the CZ turns out to not be my thing, maybe we'll talk.

Czsp-01-9mm
09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Exilemachine.com has mecgar 16 rd mags for 25 shipped just gotta block them to 10 rds

Dutch Henry
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Everything you'll ever want to know about CZ pistols: http://www.czfirearms.us/

Euphoria526
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Stupid auto correct.
Yeah exilemachine.com and .44mag.com
They are ca friendly.

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Went home real quick and removed the hogue grips. The stock fit my hand much better. No more rubbing. I'll still probably get the stock rubber grips from czcustom.

Sights do not sat tru light. So it looks like I'll need to invest in some sights.

Any thoughts on just dabbing some glow paint in them until I can afford some Meprolights or Tritium?

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Went home real quick and removed the hogue grips. The stock fit my hand much better. No more rubbing. I'll still probably get the stock rubber grips from czcustom.

Sights do not say tru light. So it looks like I'll need to invest in some sights.

Any thoughts on just dabbing some glow paint in them until I can afford some Meprolights or Tritium?

zfields
09-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Sights do not say tru light. So it looks like I'll need to invest in some sights.

I wouldnt waste the money on it. I personally really like the tru-dots I have (OEM), and they usually are a touch cheaper then other brands.

The CZ rubber grips are surprisingly nice. I had the Houges on my 75 SA and liked them, but once I got my sp01 with the CZs, there really is no reason to go back.

Euphoria526
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with zfields again.
I have both on different guns and the rubber ones are oh so sexy

Lead Waster
09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Mags expensive??? Oh well... $25 for a magazine is super cheap!!! :confused:

Just the basepad for a 2011 mag cost already $30-$35.

10 rounds CZ mags are about $45 !!

However, the MecGar 16 round mags are $23 or so bucks, BUT you have to block them to 10 rounds with some metal bar stock if you want to have them in CA.

Lead Waster
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I agree with zfields again.
I have both on different guns and the rubber ones are oh so sexy

I haven't tried the CZ rubber grips. My 75 SA wears the Hogue finger groove grips. It's like part of my hand!

My SA is my "comfy gun" as it is so awesome in my hands.

My SP-01 has the thin aluminum grips and it's my USPSA gun. Last match I
switched to my blocked Mecgar mags and had some mag insertion issues (not with the CZ 10 rounders). I had to force the mag all the way up, then rack out the rounds, take the gun to the safe area then loosen the grips. Weird, when I tried it at home, I had this issue and loosened the grips a bit and tied the Mecgar, it worked fine and worked fine for one COF. Then when I was "making ready" the mag just stuck. Luckily, I knew how to fix it, but it was not a nice feeling to be holding a gun with a loaded mag stuck in it.

My solution to that will be to find where the grips bind and take some sandpaper to it.

As for the narrow slide area, yeah, you get used to it. Doesn't bother me in the least. I think I just adapted my slide racking technique to fit!

pc_load_letter
09-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Regarding grips, you might want VZgrips. They offer a couple varieties of their grips for the 75. Some are very to moderately aggressive.

Regarding sights, I added HiViz green dot sights to my CZ 75 and they are GREAT! Very bright and easy to pick up even in sunny daylight. Fairly inexpensive. Much easier to see than the stock sights.

Regarding tight slide. Use a good quality grease like Slide glide or Weapon Shield grease.

And as others have said, a wolf #12 spring will help.

Practice working the slide at home with some snap caps and you will get the feel for it. I can rack it as easily as my blocky sig.

zfields
09-05-2012, 1:04 PM
I personally wouldn't mess with the recoil spring unless you are reloading light, or are consistently using lighter loaded ammunition.

dmmikhail
09-05-2012, 1:22 PM
Hey Everyone,

Pros:

Cons:

1. I would suggest ditching the hogue grips unless you find that the standard grip circumference is too small for your hands. I've found the stock plastic to work well, but if you must change it out, try the factory rubber grips or the cocobolo checkered grips from cz custom shop. how you hold the gun should be very similar to a hi power or 1911 grip.

2. this really is the one downside to this handgun, best way I've found to rack the slide (if right handed) is using your palm on the left side, 4 fingers on the right. do NOT change the recoil spring to a lighter rated spring unless you shoot reduced power loads. since the gun is brand new, you could lock the slide back for 6-12 hours to help accelerate the wear in period.

3. I actually don't know which sights your gun came with, if they are night sights they will supremely suck in daylight. if fiber optics, you could have the tubes changed. otherwise, try looking into replacement sights, theres a wide variety available for cz's to fit every need.

4. Mecgar makes the magazines for cz and are considered one of the best mag manufacturers. They are also one of the most reasonably priced mags in the industry. usually web stores have them for around $20-25. New magazines have very stiff springs, load them half way and leave for a day, then unload and reload 3/4 leave for a day, then unload and reload fully and leave for a day. After that they should be flawless.

CZ9
09-05-2012, 1:41 PM
I find the regular black plastic grips to be fine, I hear great things about the sp01 rubber factory grips. I will probably get a set of those soon.

The "retarded midget slide" (as some call it) takes a little getting use to. The more you fondle your new cz the easier it'll get. Personally, I sling shot it with my thumb and index finger and it works for me. I feel that if I grasp the slide with my palm and 4 fingers (like I do with other pistols) my hand also grabs the frame. Either way you do it, a little practice and it will be second nature.

And as for the mag rattle, once the 10 are loaded into the mag well, the rattle stops. I was concerned when I first picked up the mags, but they have ran great. Non issue for me personally.

willerfortheworld
09-05-2012, 1:55 PM
When I rack my Cz p01 I pitch the slide with two fingers and move the frame with the other hand. You will get to know your gun so well that this will be cake. I only leave 9 rounds in my mags anyways, its kinda weird how there is a slite raddle when 10 is loaded? Most factory sights are shaty and the stock grips are amazing imo. I don't know what to tell you about your fingers getting pinched? After you shoot it its amazing how different you will feel about you choice.. you got your self a keeper so just have fun with her...

₩FT₩

JeremyS
09-05-2012, 3:51 PM
MusicMatt -- First. Shoot the dang gun before changing stuff and deciding what you may or may not need or what may or may not be a pro or con. SHOOT THE THING STOCK.

I purchased a hogue rubber grip with finger grooves because I heard that the stock plastic ones are cheap.Okay this is crazy. The stock plastic ones are cheap in that you can buy them for like $10. What does that mean? Nothing. They work fine. They offer good grip and they are slim, which is a big plus for a lot of people. I find the factory rubber ones to be VERY comfortable but too thick for me to reach the slide lock with my thumb without moving my hand a bit out of my shooting grip. Slimmer grips (VZ Grips, Hogue G-10 Grips, or factory plastic ones) solve this for me and I prefer being able to reach that without altering my grip.

do NOT change the recoil spring to a lighter rated spring unless you shoot reduced power loads.I completely disagree and I'll tell you why. The gun is designed to shoot NATO ammo and CZ's test ammo of choice is Sellier and Bellot, which is EXTREMELY hot-loaded ammo (+p+ with about 510 ftlbs in a 9mm, which is as much as you'll find anywhere). Due to this, the recoil spring is very stiff. The hammer spring (mainspring) is also very stiff due to hard NATO primers. You are TOTALLY fine reducing the power of your recoil spring. I went down to a 14 lb recoil spring which is more than enough for all standard pressure ammo and is also sufficient for most +P loads with no slide battering at all whatsoever. It is more than enough spring for any off-the-shelf standard pressure load like WWB, Blazer, AE, Wolf/BrownBear, reloads, blah blah whatever. I also went with a 15 lb mainspring and it's strong enough to reliably ignite even known-to-be-hard primers like the steel-cased Russian ammo primers.

Note that racking the slide is MUCH easier with these spring weights. Yes, the mainspring makes a difference if the hammer is down, since racking the slide cocks the hammer in this case.

I highly, highly recommend these spring weights if you intend to do mostly target shooting, competition, etc, and sometimes have the gun for defensive purposes. If the main purpose of the gun is for defense and you're running only +P or +P+ through it, I'd stick with the factory springs since this is exactly what they are designed so very strong for. ...excessively strong for normal use!...

MecGar does not make 10-round mags. The only ones are the factory ones. You can get them for $32 here: http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/CZ-USA-CZ-7585-Mag-9mm-10-Round-11102_p_7101.html

YES, the factory 10-round mags rattle when you have 10 rounds in them. They don't do it with less rounds. They function 100% perfectly regardless. No idea why this is. Keep in mind, this gun was never designed to hold only 10 rounds and this was a workaround by CZ to comply with states that require the reduced capacity like CA and MA. They function fine but I'm sure CZ just doesn't care as much about something like a small rattle that they would have made sure to engineer out in the standard mags. Blame CA, not CZ :p

Yeah, the sights on the standard 75's are nothing to write home about. Luckily, there are tons of really awesome aftermarket options if you decide to go that route. CZ Custom carries a bunch.

Give the dang gun a shot (literally) before you change anything and before you make up your mind on it. Try the factory grips. Get used to the slide. It becomes second nature. The only people who really complain about it have seen it in photos and make assumptions. Use it regularly and it's a total non-issue. If it was so difficult to rack, it wouldn't be one of the all time winningest guns in competition.

MusicMatt
09-05-2012, 6:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

@JeremyS - Please read the whole thread before posting. I have already removed the hogue grip and put the stock grips back on. I will probably buy the stock rubber grips from czcustom later.

Also, you do not necessarily have to shoot a gun to know what fits well in your hand. I just prefer the feel of rubber over hard plastic. That's just it. My gun. My preference.

Not going to mess with the recoil spring right now. I would like to get some practice with racking the slide first. A month from now, it will probably be second nature.

The sights are really dim. I even struggle in decent light or contrasting light from room to room. So until I can get some night sights, I might brighten them up a bit with sight paint.

dawn777
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
where did you get your cz75bd?

i am going to get one.

thanks

JeremyS
09-05-2012, 11:36 PM
@JeremyS - Please read the whole thread before posting. I have already removed the hogue grip and put the stock grips back on. I will probably buy the stock rubber grips from czcustom later.

Not going to mess with the recoil spring right now.Oh I read the thread. My comment was based on the fact that you purchased the Hogue grips before giving the factory ones a chance. That you now have Hogue grips acting as paper weights only further supports my comments :p. I've done the same thing, don't worry. The fact that you are now going to "probably buy other grips later" instead of right away, not mess with the recoil spring until you've used the gun for a while, etc, is exactly what I would have suggested and is what I meant to imply with my post. You'll know what you want/need if you shoot the gun for a while, and you'll be a lot less likely to do something that you don't end up liking.

Heck, even your pro/con opinions on the gun may change once it's actually fired. They don't sell 'em as decorations :p

sfhondapilot
09-06-2012, 6:27 AM
where did you get your cz75bd?

i am going to get one.

thanks

I found mine at Tabor's down by the SFO airport.

MusicMatt
09-06-2012, 9:08 AM
I got mine from Triple A Sporting Goods in Vallejo. When I went back to pick it up, I think they only had the CZ 75 compact and a SP-01. But their selection is awesome so if they don't already have another they will soon. Give them a call.

I'll update the thread when I get back from the range.

dmmikhail
09-06-2012, 2:24 PM
MusicMatt --
I completely disagree and I'll tell you why. The gun is designed to shoot NATO ammo and CZ's test ammo of choice is Sellier and Bellot, which is EXTREMELY hot-loaded ammo (+p+ with about 510 ftlbs in a 9mm, which is as much as you'll find anywhere). Due to this, the recoil spring is very stiff. The hammer spring (mainspring) is also very stiff due to hard NATO primers. You are TOTALLY fine reducing the power of your recoil spring. I went down to a 14 lb recoil spring which is more than enough for all standard pressure ammo and is also sufficient for most +P loads with no slide battering at all whatsoever. It is more than enough spring for any off-the-shelf standard pressure load like WWB, Blazer, AE, Wolf/BrownBear, reloads, blah blah whatever. I also went with a 15 lb mainspring and it's strong enough to reliably ignite even known-to-be-hard primers like the steel-cased Russian ammo primers.

Note that racking the slide is MUCH easier with these spring weights. Yes, the mainspring makes a difference if the hammer is down, since racking the slide cocks the hammer in this case.

I highly, highly recommend these spring weights if you intend to do mostly target shooting, competition, etc, and sometimes have the gun for defensive purposes. If the main purpose of the gun is for defense and you're running only +P or +P+ through it, I'd stick with the factory springs since this is exactly what they are designed so very strong for. ...excessively strong for normal use!...

I kind of agree with you, but im still not completely convinced. it mainly has to do with what you said about cz using +p+ ammo, as I dont think any manufacturer would rate their guns for such hot ammo. The other issue I have is that if the stock springs were designed for such hot ammo, it wouldn't cycle reliably with standard ammo as there wouldnt be sufficient force to completely compress the spring and allow the spent case to eject before the spring overcomes and starts to push the slide back forward. The last thing is you mentioned reducing your recoil spring to a 14 lb, what I'm confused about is that the factory standard spring is 14 lb.

Euphoria526
09-06-2012, 2:58 PM
I kind of agree with you, but im still not completely convinced. it mainly has to do with what you said about cz using +p+ ammo, as I dont think any manufacturer would rate their guns for such hot ammo. The other issue I have is that if the stock springs were designed for such hot ammo, it wouldn't cycle reliably with standard ammo as there wouldnt be sufficient force to completely compress the spring and allow the spent case to eject before the spring overcomes and starts to push the slide back forward. The last thing is you mentioned reducing your recoil spring to a 14 lb, what I'm confused about is that the factory standard spring is 14 lb.

CZ's are NATO round rates which means stick can accept the +p+ loads as is.
Owning a p01 and a 75b SA I can say that my Guns have absolutely zero problems with regular fmj rounds. Accurate as poop.
Not sure about the recoil spring.aybe he meant he was going to change it?

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

JeremyS
09-06-2012, 3:52 PM
I kind of agree with you, but im still not completely convinced. it mainly has to do with what you said about cz using +p+ ammo, as I dont think any manufacturer would rate their guns for such hot ammo. The other issue I have is that if the stock springs were designed for such hot ammo, it wouldn't cycle reliably with standard ammo as there wouldnt be sufficient force to completely compress the spring and allow the spent case to eject before the spring overcomes and starts to push the slide back forward. The last thing is you mentioned reducing your recoil spring to a 14 lb, what I'm confused about is that the factory standard spring is 14 lb.I didn't mean to say that CZ tests with +P+ ammo, although I see I pretty much did. What I meant was that the Sellier & Bellot ammo that CZ uses at the factory for all test firing (S&B is Czech) is loaded to power levels equivalent of +P or maybe +P+. It does NOT say anything about higher pressures on the packaging. However, power levels in ftlbs exceed that of, for instance, Federal HydraShok +P+ by 10 ftlbs and matches the energy of Doubletap's +P "trail defense" load. These are powerful rounds. Likewise, the NATO ammo that these guns are designed to use -- and use exclusively for many many thousands or tens of thousands of rounds -- are squarely in +P territory at 36,500 psi (maximum allowed SAAMI pressure for standard 9mm is 35,001 psi). Additionally, the NATO rounds are known for hard primers and the hammer spring is extra strong to ensure reliable ignition.

Factory standard recoil spring is not 14 lbs... at least not in my SP-01. Maybe in some 75 variants??? At any rate, most people say it is 18 lbs although it is really almost impossible to say for sure. It's not a stat CZ publishes. You can see here that CZ Custom refers to the 14 lb spring as "reduced power" http://czcustom.com/CZ-Recoil-Spring-14Lb.aspx. In fact, you can see they also call the 15 lb spring "reduced power" http://czcustom.com/CZ-Recoil-Spring-15Lb.aspx ...and some people DO have issues with ejection of light-loaded rounds with the factory recoil spring. I never had a failure but did find 115 grn reloads landing right next to me on the bench, which means they were barely making it out.

It is an obvious difference that you can feel easily by hand when racking the slide w/ a 14 lb spring vs. the OEM spring. I have switched back and forth a couple of times and it is very easy to tell which is which. 14 lbs is definitely lighter. I chose this weight as I wanted to be able to shoot occasional +P rounds without worrying about my frame, and I believe I achieved that with this weight. However, I shoot 99.9% standard pressure bulk ammo in this gun. If I shot it regularly with +P I'd probably stick with the OEM spring. If I shot only lighter target loads I'd go 12 lbs like many people do, but I shoot some reloads and random cheap stuff so I want a margin of safety.

The feeling in an all-steel gun when slide smacks frame is hard to miss, though. You can also watch how far your brass is going. Shoot factory springs with factory S&B ammo and note where they land. If your load of choice is going much farther with the lighter spring, it might be too light. :p

Anyway they're AWESOME guns and you absolutely DO NOT need to change a dang thing for them to shoot with the utmost reliability. That said, the benefit for me of going with lighter springs was huge. Lighter DA pull thanks to the mainspring, easier racking of slide when hammer is down thanks to mainspring, and generally much easier manipulation/racking of slide thanks to lighter recoil spring. Much more usable gun that doesn't need as much manhandling and aggression to operate haha

dmmikhail
09-06-2012, 4:15 PM
I didn't mean to say that CZ tests with +P+ ammo, although I see I pretty much did. What I meant was that the Sellier & Bellot ammo that CZ uses at the factory for all test firing (S&B is Czech) is loaded to power levels equivalent of +P or maybe +P+. It does NOT say anything about higher pressures on the packaging. However, power levels in ftlbs exceed that of, for instance, Federal HydraShok +P+ by 10 ftlbs and matches the energy of Doubletap's +P "trail defense" load. These are powerful rounds. Likewise, the NATO ammo that these guns are designed to use -- and use exclusively for many many thousands or tens of thousands of rounds -- are squarely in +P territory at 36,500 psi (maximum allowed SAAMI pressure for standard 9mm is 35,001 psi). Additionally, the NATO rounds are known for hard primers and the hammer spring is extra strong to ensure reliable ignition.

Factory standard recoil spring is not 14 lbs... at least not in my SP-01. Maybe in some 75 variants??? At any rate, most people say it is 18 lbs although it is really almost impossible to say for sure. It's not a stat CZ publishes. You can see here that CZ Custom refers to the 14 lb spring as "reduced power" http://czcustom.com/CZ-Recoil-Spring-14Lb.aspx. In fact, you can see they also call the 15 lb spring "reduced power" http://czcustom.com/CZ-Recoil-Spring-15Lb.aspx ...and some people DO have issues with ejection of light-loaded rounds with the factory recoil spring. I never had a failure but did find 115 grn reloads landing right next to me on the bench, which means they were barely making it out.

It is an obvious difference that you can feel easily by hand when racking the slide w/ a 14 lb spring vs. the OEM spring. I have switched back and forth a couple of times and it is very easy to tell which is which. 14 lbs is definitely lighter. I chose this weight as I wanted to be able to shoot occasional +P rounds without worrying about my frame, and I believe I achieved that with this weight. However, I shoot 99.9% standard pressure bulk ammo in this gun. If I shot it regularly with +P I'd probably stick with the OEM spring. If I shot only lighter target loads I'd go 12 lbs like many people do, but I shoot some reloads and random cheap stuff so I want a margin of safety.

The feeling in an all-steel gun when slide smacks frame is hard to miss, though. You can also watch how far your brass is going. Shoot factory springs with factory S&B ammo and note where they land. If your load of choice is going much farther with the lighter spring, it might be too light. :p

Anyway they're AWESOME guns and you absolutely DO NOT need to change a dang thing for them to shoot with the utmost reliability. That said, the benefit for me of going with lighter springs was huge. Lighter DA pull thanks to the mainspring, easier racking of slide when hammer is down thanks to mainspring, and generally much easier manipulation/racking of slide thanks to lighter recoil spring. Much more usable gun that doesn't need as much manhandling and aggression to operate haha

ahh ok, the difference in model might be the reason. my 75B came standard with a 14lb spring and I got my stats from wolff springs. they listed 14lb as standard and my spare 14lb springs feel exactly the same.

I do agree with the steel on steel smack and that was the reason I recommended against reduced power springs. I've shot friends guns with reduced power springs, while it doesnt make a difference in polymer framed guns which can absorb the increased recoil, in a steel frame it speeds up wear and increases the risk of cracking.

Come to think of it, a reduced power recoil spring can be acceptable if you also use a recoil buffer to offset the increased force.

On your bottom line, I'm also gonna agree. These are some of the best finest guns out there!

elsolo
09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I personally wouldn't mess with the recoil spring unless you are reloading light, or are consistently using lighter loaded ammunition.

What are you worried might break or go wrong?
My first CZ has over 100,000 rds through it, still shoots like a champ, runs an 11# recoil spring with full power reloads.
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae148/elsolo427/IMG_20120319_225242-1-1.jpg

zfields
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
My first CZ has over 100,000 rds through it, still shoots like a champ, runs an 11# recoil spring with full power reloads.

That's nice, I still would rather not bash the frame anymore then needed. I run mine right at minimum power factor, and the stock spring hasn't had an issue at all.

elsolo
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
There is no frame bashing to worry about.

The only part that is of any concern is the slide stop. Inspecting the broken ones, it appears they let go from the slide returning into battery; so running an extra heavy recoil spring beats up a CZ more than a soft spring, IMHO.

JeremyS
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
^^^ heard that about the slide stop multiple times. Most people carry a spare. While you could view it either way, it's a nice design to put the load/shock/wear on an easily replaceable part.

zfields
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
^^^ heard that about the slide stop multiple times. Most people carry a spare. While you could view it either way, it's a nice design to put the load/shock/wear on an easily replaceable part.

Hell, IIRC the czechmate comes with something like 6 slide stops.

mblat
09-07-2012, 10:16 PM

Hey... on that subject.... on what schedule you were changing springs? Recoil, ejector etc?

elsolo
09-08-2012, 9:28 AM
Hey... on that subject.... on what schedule you were changing springs? Recoil, ejector etc?

When something quits working right.
When I tore it down for hardchrome several years ago, I replaced all the little action springs since it was apart.

I gets new mag springs and recoil spring once every 15,000