PDA

View Full Version : UMAREX COLT M16 .22

Mr.Nylon66
09-04-2012, 9:21 PM
Is this a good gun for home defense? And S.H.T.F? I bought it cause .22 is way cheeper then .223. Someone feel me in. Thanks

Colt M-16 .22

NorCal916
09-04-2012, 9:33 PM
Better than nothing else for home defense.. Looks like the real thing too, which could help..

durandal
09-05-2012, 12:25 AM
I would not want to use this weapon for a self defense or survival role. Granted it would be better than nothing. IF you can get the gun dialed in, it could be pressed into use as a pest control or small game rifle, In a shtf scenario. As a combat weapon i'd be worried about its durability, aside from the standard concerns about reliability and its obvious firepower deficiency.

I fired a few hundred rounds of different brands of .22 ammo, and found my rifle's failure point was around 500 rounds. Federal bulk were a little too long and produced a feeding problem with the magazine that required manual manipulation of the spring. winchester super x lead produced lot of leading and a round firing out of battery. Remington Golden Bullets worked quite well, except for the thick smoke, CCI Mini Mags seemed OK from limited testing.

Mine didnt have magazines that dropped freely, so i polished the surfaces of the mag body that make contact with the receiver

But as for the real problems with the gun, powder residue combined with lubrication will scrape the surfaces where the bolt and receiver make contact, instead of getting polished, the receiver gets rough. I like to keep my guns clean so i detail stripped the gun often to clean it, and found that the design was a bad fit for me, so i sold it.

Worries from taking down the receiver, aside from it being a pain in the butt, there is a potential for loss of accuracy or reliability, andyou may lose some (spring loaded) small parts.

I dont have one any longer, but If i did, i wouldnt take down the gun to clean it. When field stripping the rimfire 'Colts', driving out the rear takedown pin without loosening the flash hider damages the rifle. If it is necessary to strip the gun, i'd make a note of the timing of the flash hider.

Reassembling requires tightening the flash hider which torques the very thin sleeve barrel. I would want to avoid over tightening.

The thin barrel simply fits into place in the receiver, which is made of two pieces of metal which are screwed together. It is not secured in place and can flop around or bend if you put a little pressure on it. Also the screws are easy to strip or break. So i'd leave the receiver alone...

sonicenergy
09-05-2012, 3:12 AM
I saw a lot of people use a short gun for home defense. I am planning to buy a GSG 522 for home defense too. Like what Norcal916 said, better than nothing. I believe that if you keep shooting the invader enough round till he is down, any gun can protect you. depends if you have enough rounds on your hand. if you only have 1 round .45ACP, i would rather to choose 10 rounds of 22lr.

Kelster1574
09-05-2012, 6:58 AM
I know there has been numerous posts on using a .22lr as a home defense round on here. I personally own a Umarex Colt.....fun to shoot, but I would be very nervous to use it for home defense. As far as the GSG....I wanted one, but don't own one......to many negative posts in here about reliability issues.......I would do some research here on Calguns, it might just change your mind. Just my .02 Good Luck

samz4mc
09-05-2012, 7:59 AM
A .22 is not really a home defense gun but there's a 92-year old man from KY who would argue otherwise. If you really must, I would go with a SIG522 (personal experience). It's easy to field strip and clean, fun to shoot, and has a folding/collapsible stock.

sonicenergy
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I know there has been numerous posts on using a .22lr as a home defense round on here. I personally own a Umarex Colt.....fun to shoot, but I would be very nervous to use it for home defense. As far as the GSG....I wanted one, but don't own one......to many negative posts in here about reliability issues.......I would do some research here on Calguns, it might just change your mind. Just my .02 Good Luck

I am planning to buy either a Umares MP5 or a GSG 522, which one do you think is better?

CasperSYTFU
09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Umarex hands down. Just jailed one as a fun toy that's cheap to shoot. GSG felt like a child's toy in comparison.

Speedpower
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I saw a lot of people use a short gun for home defense. I am planning to buy a GSG 522 for home defense too. Like what Norcal916 said, better than nothing. I believe that if you keep shooting the invader enough round till he is down, any gun can protect you. depends if you have enough rounds on your hand. if you only have 1 round .45ACP, i would rather to choose 10 rounds of 22lr.

Interesting!

RuskieShooter
09-05-2012, 1:09 PM
Neither.

For a SHTF .22lr I would go with either a 10-22 or, if you want a AR style .22lr, either an M&P 15-22 (closest to an AR that is not an AR and what I own) or an AR lower and an dedicated upper.

For home defense do a search and there are a TON of posts about using a .22lr for home defense. Bottom line is its inadequate but better than nothing.

-Ruskie

RuskieShooter
09-05-2012, 1:18 PM
I believe that if you keep shooting the invader enough round till he is down, any gun can protect you. depends if you have enough rounds on your hand. if you only have 1 round .45ACP, i would rather to choose 10 rounds of 22lr.

This thinking can be dangerous. If it takes more then 2-3 rounds to put an attacker down he can either press the attack with a knife (HD typically occurs within 20') or seek cover and return fire if armed. In a defense situation you want to neutralize the threat as quickly as possible.

If you only have 1 round .45ACP or 10 rounds of 22lr, I chose 1 round of 9-pellet 00buck... :D

-Ruskie

Kelster1574
09-05-2012, 2:03 PM
I am planning to buy either a Umares MP5 or a GSG 522, which one do you think is better?

I do not have experience with either one.

goldengate
09-05-2012, 2:19 PM
.22lr rifle would be good for plinking and training at the range, but I would not trust it for home defense. There was a video on gunshot wound that was posted on Calguns and it showed someone taking 2 9mm to the body. That person was still running around. Now, if he is armed, you bet he'll return fire even after getting hit with a few .22lr. I know, everyone is preaching shot placements. But really tho, under all the stress and less than ideal environment with a moving target. This ain't shooting paper targets at the range with good lighting.

I recommend getting a larger caliber firearm for HD. Big 5 has a Maverick 88 shotgun that can be had for around $190 (with the coupon) before tax and DROS.

pennys dad
09-05-2012, 2:34 PM
I am reading an article that is comparing expansion, penetration, and FPS. They are using several different calibers and bullets in several calibers.
The 22lr CCI Velocitor penetrated the FBI required 12 inches and expanded to 1.6 its size. I was amazed. It stacked up against the other calibers in expansion, penetration, and FPS.
Now, would I use it for self defense, No. The other criteria laid down by the FBI is expansion, penetration, and FPS through, heavy clothing, drywall, glass and something else. 22lr ammo will not pass this part of the test.
I would for home defense, if choosing a rifle, use 223 ammo loaded to fragment. There is a good article on this subject as well.

durandal
09-05-2012, 8:42 PM
Tactical .22s arent suitable for that.

I also forgot about 'adjusting' the recoil spring for different ammo types. If you have the wrong setting the gun wont function. Shoots nice, has the weight of a real gun, but the design is worrisome.

Stardude82
09-05-2012, 11:18 PM
For the price of tacticool 22, you could get a Marllin 795 and one of a number of shotguns, handguns or rifles.

Mr.Nylon66
09-09-2012, 9:59 PM
Yea thats true. Im a good shot with the .22 so it will be good. Its actuarially a 2nd gun for home defense. Mossberg 500 is the primary. I have a Nylon 66 .22 but its autoload so I have a Colt m16 .22 on lalway right now. .22 is affordable. Thanks for feedback.

Mr.Nylon66
09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the post and responses everyone. You guess have me second thinking on this colt 22. Many say it is good for survival mode, incase hell breaks due to the availability and price of 22 ammo.

durandal
09-09-2012, 11:42 PM
It is not something i would trust my life to. I wouldn't count on it for small game or pest control.

shadow65
09-10-2012, 4:41 AM
I wouldn't. Better served with a Glock

patrickstarfish
09-11-2012, 1:56 AM
Negative. My firend's colt has issues with ammo, which never shot reliably.

Also, with my HK version, I broke the extractor during the break in/first range session.

ludeaddict
09-14-2012, 12:06 AM
I have one and I have put about 2000 rounds through it. Its has had about 7 or 8 FTFs due to the rounds being loose. I take it apart for cleaning every 500 rounds but I always keep it well lubed. I only use cci bulk ammo in it and it eats it every time. Mine is very reliable, and fun to shoot, but for home defense I have center fire rifles and handguns.

jdmstuff
09-18-2012, 9:41 PM
I have one and I have put about 2000 rounds through it. Its has had about 7 or 8 FTFs due to the rounds being loose. I take it apart for cleaning every 500 rounds but I always keep it well lubed. I only use cci bulk ammo in it and it eats it every time. Mine is very reliable, and fun to shoot, but for home defense I have center fire rifles and handguns.

I gave up on mine after putting through about 50 rounds. Got tired of the feeding issues and FTF's.

durandal
09-18-2012, 9:51 PM
It was halfway reliable with low quality ammo, to my surprise.

disappointing feeding issues with the magazines and federal champion bulk. Projectile was too long.

Accuracy was OK but point of impact was not near point of aim. Made everyone who shot it disappointed.

having to adjust the recoil spring is a giant pain and sometimes you just cant find the right setting.

The idea of .22lr replicas of real guns is a good one, from a marketing perspective.. They are fun toys.. Better experience fondling a umarex .22 than playing with airsoft.

The novelty factor drives up the price to stupid levels.. To me the value is less than 1/3 or 1/4 of their current price.. You can buy a umarex .22 AR for ~6-700 at big5.. Or you can buy a SKS for half that from the marketplace here on CG.

defcon
09-19-2012, 8:48 AM
It was halfway reliable with low quality ammo, to my surprise.

disappointing feeding issues with the magazines and federal champion bulk. Projectile was too long.

Accuracy was OK but point of impact was not near point of aim. Made everyone who shot it disappointed.

having to adjust the recoil spring is a giant pain and sometimes you just cant find the right setting.

The idea of .22lr replicas of real guns is a good one, from a marketing perspective.. They are fun toys.. Better experience fondling a umarex .22 than playing with airsoft.

The novelty factor drives up the price to stupid levels.. To me the value is less than 1/3 or 1/4 of their current price.. You can buy a umarex .22 AR for ~6-700 at big5.. Or you can buy a SKS for half that from the marketplace here on CG.

gutted airsoft bodies + dropping a .22 action/barrel = cheap fun toys.

donw
09-19-2012, 3:26 PM
I am reading an article that is comparing expansion, penetration, and FPS. They are using several different calibers and bullets in several calibers.
The 22lr CCI Velocitor penetrated the FBI required 12 inches and expanded to 1.6 its size. I was amazed. It stacked up against the other calibers in expansion, penetration, and FPS.
Now, would I use it for self defense, No. The other criteria laid down by the FBI is expansion, penetration, and FPS through, heavy clothing, drywall, glass and something else. 22lr ammo will not pass this part of the test.
I would for home defense, if choosing a rifle, use 223 ammo loaded to fragment. There is a good article on this subject as well.

the current NRA magazine, The American Rifleman, has an EXTENSIVE article on handgun ammo and penetration performance tests.

the 22 lr velicitor penetrated 14" at 800+ FPS from a 2.4" tube...that surpassed the FBI depth of penetration test...if that bullet is going thru the heart and lungs, or brain...what will be the result?

bottom line: put the bullet in a critical location...

i knew many men who survived gunshot wounds from WWII, Korea and VN. one i worked with had taken an 11mm MG bullet thru the neck as a B-17 waist gunner over germany...he survived because the bullet did NOT hit a vital location...another had been shot 5 times as a french foreign leigonairre in indochina...he survived...NON-lethal hits...i met an old man, many years ago, that had been bayoneted...in WWI...in a non-lethal area...i could go on...

my point? HIT your target in a CRITICAL spot...