PDA

View Full Version : Pump or Over/Under?

Bull's_eye
09-04-2012, 9:00 PM
I don't own a shotgun (have 4 rifles and a handgun). I want to buy one.

I originally had my mind made up on the mossberg 500 combo from big 5 for $300 with both barrels. Seems to be a good deal. I've shot the 500, as well as another pump that I don't remember the brand of.

The other obvious contender is the Remington 870. A couple friends that have had both, as well as an acquaintance that's sold guns for 30 years who's opinion I value have recommended the 870 over the 500. As far as I can tell between the two guns it boils down to personal preference, and both would probably serve me fine (the mossberg would be a little cheaper with the 2 barrel deal).

Lately however, I've been intrigued with over/under shotguns. I haven't had a chance to shoot one (I've shot a 20ga single shot) but I am drawn to them for some reason. What are the best entry/mid level over/under models I should be looking at? Is there a 870/500 equivalent? I'd like to keep the price down, lets say up to $450ish. If I get a lot more gun for another 50-100 dollars though, I'd do it.

My use for the gun will be hunting and trap/skeet/clays. I don't know the difference between trap and skeep, but I've shot at clays that we launched ourselves out in the NF and it was awesome. I want to explore trap/skeet in the near future. I'm getting my hunting license this year and a friend/coworker has promised to take me out for some dove, ducks, geese. HD is not a primary concern, although the attraction of the mossberg combo was that I could slap the shorter barrel on when at home. Right now my 1911 sits on the nightstand, and I figure I can always get an 870 or 500 with the short barrel for a few hundred bucks down the road if I feel the need for a dedicated HD shotgun.

Thoughts?

gatesbox
09-04-2012, 9:09 PM
If you really want to go the sporting direction than OU is a great choice, and they have a certain class to them.... My only argument for a 500 or 870 would be HD. But it sounds like you are willing to purchase another SG for HD purposes.

Thefeeder
09-04-2012, 9:19 PM
Here is some info on the topic

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

Clee
09-04-2012, 9:20 PM
At that price point stick to the pump. An decent entry O/U would start somewhere in the grand range or thereabouts. There are cheaper O/U guns but they are cheap for a reason and not worth your money.

trew10
09-04-2012, 9:24 PM
I just purchased the same combo with both barrels from big 5 and I can't complain. I used my 28" for clay shooting and 18" for sluggs. I have two hundred shots and no hick ups with my mossberg. I am also wanting to get into hunting wanted to try dove but from what I've heard it's kinda hard to find a spot here I southern California. Either way you will make the right choice and have a blast shot guns are funn you feel them the next day I had a massive bruse after shooting 75 slugs. Good luck.

XVIga_Rob
09-04-2012, 9:30 PM
Buy the 870. It will do it all. You will not regret it.

Down the road, buy an 18.5" barrell for HD. Later, if you decide you want an O/U, then buy a quality O/U (don't go cheap).

stevec223
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
^^^^^what he said^^^^^

Mana4real
09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Check out CDNN. I got a Lanber 2087 for $550. It was $20 to ship and $60 for DROS and transfer. The Lanber has been a decent over under and I've put almost 2000 rounds thru it since I got it. I think I bought it in February. No problems at all. I did a review on it in this section. There are nicer guns out there, but bang for the buck, I'm extremely happy. I'm actually looking for a new short barrel for my 870 so I can convert it to HD and bring it out to the skeet field.

Mana4real
09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=574636&highlight=Lamber+2087

Here's my review

Bull's_eye
09-08-2012, 5:33 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I just DROSed a used 870 with the 28" barrel and wood stock from someone else on CG.

Will definitely be considering an over/under down the road.

XVIga_Rob
09-08-2012, 9:02 PM
Congrats!!

We're going to need pic's!!

Bull's_eye
09-08-2012, 9:13 PM
Didn't take any at the store, gotta wait 10 damn days.

mjsweims
09-08-2012, 9:48 PM
At that price point stick to the pump. An decent entry O/U would start somewhere in the grand range or thereabouts. There are cheaper O/U guns but they are cheap for a reason and not worth your money.

+1
There are plenty of good (not great) pumps in that range. Buy something that is inexpensive but good rather than something that looks good but is cheaply made.

TemeC
09-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Mossberg makes a pretty decent O/U, Silver Reserve. Most places list it for around 600. I bought mine used for 450. So far after 2 years of Dove hunts and clays it has held up well and doesnt feel cheap at all. I would say the fit and finish is pretty good for an entry level O/U. The biggest difernce I noticed is how differently the O/U swings than my pump when out shooting. Good luck with your new gun!