PDA

View Full Version : Wife-friendly HD handgun - revolver?

mt51
09-04-2012, 7:41 PM
Hi all,

I currently keep a Glock 19 in my nightstand for HD, even though I live in a safe neighborhood, I believe in being armed and prepared.

Recently, I introduced my wife to shooting and got her comfortable with it at the range. However, as comfortable as she is with shooting at the range (ok with recoil, good with aim), she does not have enough strength to rack the slide. Because of that, she is not fully comfortable with the full operation of the weapon.

I am considering getting a HD weapon for her use. Does anyone recommend a revolver for such a situation? Not looking at Shotguns or rifles.

Roland Deschain
09-04-2012, 7:46 PM
Ruger GP-141 (or whatever the stainless model # is).

Hogue grip + decent weight = lower felt recoil even with .357 (and can always load .38 special)
4" barrel = Decent accuracy/velocity at HD ranges
Price is not bad

Edit: I love my GP-141 an was very pleased to make it my first HD purchase. That said it lives in the safe now and I carry my Glock 17 when at home. What can I say, 10 shots is more than 6 ;)

Czsp-01-9mm
09-04-2012, 7:47 PM
I would get a ruger gp100, that way she has the option of hot 38 +p loads and work up to 357 mag loads, and don't go for a snub nose I would say 3-4 in barrel to help cut down some recoil

trew10
09-04-2012, 7:49 PM
S&W .38 small j frame for smaller hands almost no recoil.

DrewTheBrave
09-04-2012, 7:52 PM
Since you're not looking at a shotgun (which would be my first recommendation), I agree with the others: A trusty Ruger or Smith & Wesson 4" revolver is great at dissipating some recoil, while still being small enough to handle & point well.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-04-2012, 7:52 PM
Ruger SP101 .357/38special. small for her hand, not too heavy, and able to shoot .357

hermosabeach
09-04-2012, 7:55 PM
I had the same issue with a girlfriend.

I turned her over to a friend who worked at the range and they went through all
Of there inventory to see what she was comfortable manipulating

The compacts and sub compacts are stiffer as you compress the recoil spring in a shorter space and they are more prone to malfunctions due to Limp wristing

She ended up with an H&K pistol

It was not my choice, but also not my gun.

She was happy to shoot it as she was confident she could load it and use is with confidence

It is tough to shoot a gun well when you are afraid of it

Have here manipulate a bunch to see what she likes.
Find one to shoot- friend or rental -to verify she is comfortable with the decision before you make the purchase

oddjob
09-04-2012, 8:00 PM
I would recommend a S&W "K" frame, 4" .357 or .38. If she likes to shoot with you I'd go with adjustable sights. They seem to be easier for newer shooters than the fixed sights. I like the "K" frames because the trigger pull is easier and there are numerous grips available for it.

What may be cheaper is to teach your wife a different technique to racking the slide.

bplvr
09-04-2012, 8:04 PM
The wifey has a S&W 638 .38Spl. "J frame" and she loves it .We did put longer Hogue rubber grips on it.
Swop out the springs and it will be a lot 'smoother'.
It is a SA/DA piece ,easy to practice with. About $365.00 +
Since I paid for it, I would appreciate it if she would let me shoot the dam thing.
No Way. Her Gun !

EBR Works
09-04-2012, 8:06 PM
How did you teach her to rack the slide? Slingshot or overhand? Many of the women that have purchased semi pistols from us have a much easier time with the overhand method.

http://www.tactical-pink.com/8.html

mt51
09-04-2012, 8:19 PM
EBR Works, both methods didn't work out for her. Also, she was not able to reach the slide release to lock the slide back even though I have the extended slide release for my G19. Several attempts by her (with unloaded gun) at repositioning her hands to get a better grip to rack the slide and also reach for the lever makes me believe that it will be tough for her to do so in a safe and consistent manner.

How did you teach her to rack the slide? Slingshot or overhand? Many of the women that have purchased semi pistols from us have a much easier time with the overhand method.

http://www.tactical-pink.com/8.html

darmog
09-04-2012, 8:27 PM
Sig P238 Lady. :)

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P238-Lady-Hero-Detail.jpg

mt51
09-04-2012, 8:32 PM
Just based on reading links - Really liking the J frame and LCR DA only hammerless options for now... based on size and simplicity. Will def try to have her shoot one.

Also looking at GP100 (coz I wouldn't mind having access to one). :)

gti_20ae
09-04-2012, 8:33 PM
Hi all,

I currently keep a Glock 19 in my nightstand for HD, even though I live in a safe neighborhood, I believe in being armed and prepared.

Recently, I introduced my wife to shooting and got her comfortable with it at the range. However, as comfortable as she is with shooting at the range (ok with recoil, good with aim), she does not have enough strength to rack the slide. Because of that, she is not fully comfortable with the full operation of the weapon.

I am considering getting a HD weapon for her use. Does anyone recommend a revolver for such a situation? Not looking at Shotguns or rifles.

Definitely a revolver, my 5'-3" 100 lbs wife can use it, even my 65 years old mother can use it. My wife love revolvers, half of the Smiths below are hers.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/gti_20ae/sep4a0001.jpg

EBR Works
09-04-2012, 8:35 PM
My wife settled on a 9mm Walther PPQ since she finds the slide easier to rack than most. She does use the overhand method now and can rack most every handgun we carry. She has very small hands and below average strength.

mousegun
09-04-2012, 8:46 PM
For what it's worth, there's an issue here that hasn't been mentioned. An autoloader is inherently more difficult to determine operational condition than a revolver. That is the reason law enforcement requires more formal training than was the case when revolvers ruled the Sam Browns. We males fancy ourselves "savvy" when it comes to weapons, and in many cases it's a reasonable attitude. Not so with the "first gun" user. I would never recommend an autoloader for a first defense firearm without intensive professional training, regardless of gender. The problem isn't one of shooting it properly when the need arises, but one of controlling it in such a way as to avoid a negligent discharge.

Stick with a revolver.

gti_20ae
09-04-2012, 8:50 PM
Also with a revolver, there is no FTF or FTE, even if the ammo have a bad primer, just pull the trigger again, it goes to the next one.

dadjx2
09-04-2012, 9:02 PM
I suggest that she ultimately decides. My wife chose a S&W 432PD and added a CT laser grip. It has a smooth DA trigger, however, ammo is $$$ -- what da ya goina do?

SoCal Bob
09-04-2012, 9:04 PM
My wife has fired my semi autos but never really liked them. She started off with a S&W J frame for her HD gun but didn't like the recoil. She tried out my S&W model 10 with a heavy barrel and claimed it. The model 10 grips fit her hands better and the heavier gun reduced the felt recoil. We have since gotten her a S&W model 64 with the pencil barrel.

XVIga_Rob
09-04-2012, 9:24 PM
Ruger SP101 .357/38special. small for her hand, not too heavy, and able to shoot .357

Great revolver that most women will feel comfortable with.

MyOdessa
09-04-2012, 9:30 PM

This.

bsg
09-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I would recommend a S&W "K" frame, 4" .357 or .38.

+1. my suggestion, as well.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-05-2012, 1:18 AM
I would also vouch for a prelock "K" frame along with a SP101. With that being said, I'd say a three inch barrel would probably suit her if she was small framed. A four inch barrel might be a tad too heavy for her and might be awkward for longer practice sessions. I only say that because you said she had trouble racking a Glock 19 slide.

scarville
09-05-2012, 5:45 AM
My wife's hands are big enough for just about every handgun ever made. In fact her fingers are long enough that getting smacked by various controls and parts is a problem for her. Advancing years and arthritis have made it difficult for her to operate any autoloader without considerable discomfort. While a guy might tough all that out to shoot the latest cool gun and impress his buddies, in my experience women are much more practical about guns. They don't necessarily see them as a fashion statement but merely as a tool.

Even if your wife could rack the slide, it sounds like her hands are too small for the gun anyways. If so, then a revolver with its wider range of options in grip size and style may be be the better choice for her. If she does decide on a wheelgun, budget for a decent action job if you do not know how to "fix" it yourself.

Renting guns for her to try out is often recommended but may be of mixed value. Most range guns -- revolvers and autoloaders -- I've tried were poorly maintained with gummy actions. Maybe you can ask a local revolver guy who takes care of his guns to let her try out some of his.

I cannot recommend a particular make, model or size without a better idea of the person it will be used by.

MIAMIbaseballer
09-05-2012, 5:47 AM
SP101

phdo
09-05-2012, 6:31 AM
+1 on any Smith & Wesson K frames. I had the same dilemma with my girlfriend. I let her shoot my Model 66 with a 2.5" barrel with .357 loads and she absolutely loved it. Considering she's only 5'5" and 110lbs, it was manageable for her. But then again, she's not recoil sensitive. You can always load .38 for lighter recoil.

Renaissance Redneck
09-05-2012, 6:45 AM
Mrs. Redneck has a Ruger Security Six (.357 Mag) that she absolutely loves, but wanted something lighter. I bought her a Charter Arms Undercover Lite (.38 SPL), and that is becoming her "go to" gun; she really digs it.

Here it is:

http://i45.tinypic.com/27zx3pu.jpg

OldShooter32
09-05-2012, 8:06 AM
I would recommend a S&W "K" frame, 4" .357 or .38. If she likes to shoot with you I'd go with adjustable sights. They seem to be easier for newer shooters than the fixed sights. I like the "K" frames because the trigger pull is easier and there are numerous grips available for it.

What may be cheaper is to teach your wife a different technique to racking the slide.

Must be a Lodi thing; my wife hijacked my 4" 66 and two speed loaders and is quite happy with them. There's an 870 in the closet, but she goes for the 66 first.

mt51
09-05-2012, 9:12 PM
SP101 has just topped the list. Will be checking it out along with the LCR.

movie zombie
09-06-2012, 7:25 AM
she needs to go to a range and shoot as many different guns as possible.
holding a revolver in the shop is not the same.
the sp101 was too big for my hand as a beginner.
i went with the model 60. it is a great gun!
i now also shoot a k-frame model 66!

i believe that as a more experienced shooter, if i changed the grips out the sp101 would have been fine but for my hand i still prefer the smith model 60. [this based on shooting a friend's sp101].

again, do not buy until she has rented and fired the gun SHE wants. too many make the mistake of buying a gun and then their wife/SO doesn't like it so doesn't practice with it at the range. a gun that is not utilized for practice isn't going to be effective for HD.

btw, there are methods of racking a slide better utilized by women that do not rely upon hand strength/size and pure power. it may be with time and practice of such a technique that she will be able to utilize a SA.

glockman19
09-06-2012, 7:31 AM
Hi all,

I started off my wife in a similar way...She shot the Glock 19 OK...but still had issues...so...O bought her a Bersa Thunder .380.

She is able to rack the slide and the .380...a 9mm short, has manageble recoil.

It was also under $300 and is Black/Gold dual tone.

Carson
09-06-2012, 7:34 AM
My girlfriend...who is fairly small and doesn't have huge hands...ended up gravitating toward larger revolvers when I took her to the gun shop for this purpose. We ended up with a GP100 and have been happy with that choice.

gorenut
09-06-2012, 8:21 AM
If she doesn't have enough hand strength the rack the slide.. then a full size revolver might be too heavy for her.

My girlfriend's favorite gun right now is a CZ 75 in SA. She can rack the slide just fine and everything.. but she finds all the revolvers I've owned to be too heavy to shoot more than a few cylinders. A snubby might have too much of a recoil (unless you shoot very light 38s) and in general is much more difficult to be consistently proficient with it.

I think you're better off going around and finding a semi where she can easily rack the slide. Maybe a Walther P99?

As a side note and don't take this in offense or anything.. but are you teaching your wife to "slingshot" the slide with two fingers or the entire hand over the slide with thumbs towards her to rack the slide. I just know my girlfriend's natural instinct was to do the "slingshot" method and when I corrected her to have all fingers and thumbs over the slide to rack it.. it became much easier for her.

Red Devil
09-06-2012, 8:36 AM

+1... but w/ the new 4.2" Bbl and adjustable sights.

nosuchagency
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM

not in my experience of owning/shooting j-framed .38 spl revolvers...

Timbob55
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM

What J frame are you shooting? I bought my wife one a couple years back and it isn't much fun to shoot with +p loads. But my wife handles that little thing just fine.

BTW, I also shoot .480 Ruger, so I'm not overly sensitive to recoil. :D

jkody
09-06-2012, 2:23 PM
My wife prefers my 4 inch S & W model 66 over my 686 2.5 inch or the 442.

ZombieTactics
09-06-2012, 2:57 PM
A (perhaps contrary) opinion:

There is absolutely nothing about handguns which predisposes any particular type or model to be "better for women" than for men. If you really care about your wife, and have any respect for the woman you might be raising children with, disabuse yourself of that notion right away.

Women don't need to be coddled, cajoled, or sweet talked through the process of selecting a handgun. They aren't idiots or small children. They generally have about 20% greater manual dexterity than men, and won't have any problems with controls, slides or buttons.

Whatever you like or don't like, there is a very good chance that she'll like something different, for reasons having nothing to do with her gender.

Whatever advice or guidance you give to your wife should be exactly the same general advice you'd give to a brother or your best (male) friend.

luchador768
09-06-2012, 3:09 PM
I got my wife a S&W model 13 years ago, she loves it. It's a bit of a pain to find one here in California, but they are great guns.

-hanko
09-06-2012, 4:00 PM
I had the same issue with a girlfriend.

I turned her over to a friend who worked at the range and they went through all Of there inventory to see what she was comfortable manipulating

She ended up with an H&K pistol

It was not my choice, but also not my gun.

Have here manipulate a bunch to see what she likes.
Find one to shoot- friend or rental -to verify she is comfortable with the decision before you make the purchase

women are much more practical about guns[/B]. They don't necessarily see them as a fashion statement but merely as a tool.

I cannot recommend a particular make, model or size without a better idea of the person it will be used by.
Nor could anyone else.

There is absolutely nothing about handguns which predisposes any particular type or model to be "better for women" than for men. If you really care about your wife, and have any respect for the woman you might be raising children with, disabuse yourself of that notion right away.

Women don't need to be coddled, cajoled, or sweet talked through the process of selecting a handgun. They aren't idiots or small children. They generally have about 20% greater manual dexterity than men, and won't have any problems with controls, slides or buttons.

Whatever you like or don't like, there is a very good chance that she'll like something different, for reasons having nothing to do with her gender.

Whatever advice or guidance you give to your wife should be exactly the same general advice you'd give to a brother or your best (male) friend.

Two simple steps...

First, gently assist wife in finding a qualified handgun instructor...

Second, butt out; for all the reasons posted above.

Recommending the ideal gun for someone you know nothing about?? How does that work?:confused:

-hanko

Cyc Wid It
09-06-2012, 5:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Zombietactics has posted videos of his very young daughter racking the slide with ease on a variety of semi- automatics. That aside, let her pick her gun.

ZombieTactics
09-06-2012, 6:29 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Zombietactics has posted videos of his very young daughter racking the slide with ease on a variety of semi- automatics. That aside, let her pick her gun.

Consider also that my wife - who has Multiple Sclerosis and almost no arm strength - does so just as well. It's not about strength.

mt51
09-06-2012, 8:23 PM
This is def on the possible list.

My girlfriend...who is fairly small and doesn't have huge hands...ended up gravitating toward larger revolvers when I took her to the gun shop for this purpose. We ended up with a GP100 and have been happy with that choice.

mt51
09-06-2012, 8:28 PM
oh.