PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911

madstyle1
09-04-2012, 6:40 PM
Is the holster and mag holder that comes with the gun worth keeping? Or should I get an after market one? Wanted to see what everyone thinks..

Brandon04GT
09-04-2012, 6:42 PM
no not really....you can use it to play around with but I think you'd be better off with an aftermarket holster for any real holsterage.

DVSmith
09-04-2012, 6:43 PM
What are you planning on using it for? If you a carrying around the house it is just fine. It isn't the best for field work and definitely not useful for concealed carry.

Generally, you pick a holster based on the application.

Shapes And Colors
09-04-2012, 6:44 PM
no not really....you can use it to play around with but I think you'd be better off with an aftermarket holster for any real holsterage.

I like the term holsterage. Mind if I use that? :D

OP, definitely get another holster, there are some excellent quality ones out there that will far exceed that one. The included one is good for just hanging around the house or something.

Brandon04GT
09-04-2012, 6:54 PM
^^ Sure.....but the supplied SA holster is not adequate for any serious holsteration.

CK_32
09-04-2012, 7:25 PM
They come with holsters THATS NOT FAIR!!! :(

I want a POS holster with my gun lol

AeroEngi
09-04-2012, 7:41 PM
They come with holsters THATS NOT FAIR!!! :(

I want a POS holster with my gun lol

They come with a cheapo mag pouch too lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Brandon04GT
09-04-2012, 8:10 PM
The holster was extra useless for me since I am left handed :(

madstyle1
09-04-2012, 8:10 PM
ok just wanted to see what everyone thinks.. Ill be using it for conceal if i get approved. my appointment is in January.

Ruger SR9 or Springfield 1911 for conceal carry?

is this a no brainer or what? lol

CK_32
09-04-2012, 8:23 PM
They come with a cheapo mag pouch too lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok now your just rubbin it in!

MA2
09-04-2012, 8:35 PM
Ruger SR9 or Springfield 1911 for conceal carry

Is weight a big factor :p

Yea, the included plastic holster is junk.

madstyle1
09-04-2012, 8:38 PM
anyone can direct me to a good place online to get a better holster and mag pouch?

Press Check
09-04-2012, 9:09 PM
anyone can direct me to a good place online to get a better holster and mag pouch?

What's the budget?

cjc16
09-04-2012, 9:10 PM
the holster and mag carrier IMO is a bit of an embarrassment to an otherwise nice pistol. I just purchased a new Mil-spec and the holster / mag carrier will never leave the plastic case.
I only use Blade-tech Kydex.

madstyle1
09-04-2012, 9:14 PM
no budget ... i need a good one that would be good for a nice piece of gun..

Trapper
09-04-2012, 9:26 PM

I'd look for a local dealer and try several holsters before buying one or ask your CCW instructors what they use.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-04-2012, 9:56 PM
The holster and mag pouch for mine are still in the case where the first owner left them. Like Brandon, the holster is extra useless for me, being a lefty.

zdragon
09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Is the holster and mag holder that comes with the gun worth keeping? Or should I get an after market one? Wanted to see what everyone thinks..

they are basically junk...Springfield shoulda provided an extra magazine instead.

kayaker55
09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
First saw my holster at a shooting class. Saw it. Went home and ordered the "Champion." Great product. Great customer service.

http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/

jessegpresley
09-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Buy my Milt Sparks Versa Max II. There is no better IWB holster.

JeremyS
09-18-2012, 9:33 AM
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/

^^^ I'm a big fan. The Kydex parts are swappable. I have one leather backing that is nice and molded to me now, and I have 4 kydex pieces. One for my CZ75, one for the Beretta Nano that lives on it most of the time, one for H&K P7, one for 1911. They also make nice mag holsters now. VERY comfortable, very high quality, very modular, very very concealable, very well-priced. Holsteriffic holsterage.

SO.... get one kydex for your 1911 and get one for your SR-9 and carry either/or. Done deal.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone said, except I think the mag holster is fine. Maybe not optimized for CCW use because it's outside the waistband and isn't designed to be as thin as physically possible, but it's still fairly thin and it works just fine. The gun holster is not so hot, but works fine for days at the range. At least it's adjustable for tension. The belt slot is kind of thick though so if you want it to actually stay in place and not allow the gun to flop outwards a little bit, you'll need to wear a real holster belt of some sort (stiff, thick).

I'm selling my basically brand new EMP, which is a great carry piece. The forged aluminum frame is super freaking light and it shoots softly, accurately, and reliably with a good trigger. It comes with the holster and mag holster for you to never use :p

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wMpkpzWTnfQ/UEzc0cFNj6I/AAAAAAAACyI/o3LD-0GRcmg/s640/P1000348.JPG