PDA

View Full Version : This Is Strange. UPDATE Post 14

Cuda440
09-04-2012, 5:37 PM
I just noticed these "inconsistencies" on some of my ammo, and I'm not sure what to think- What say you?

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/460ammo0001.jpg

You can see, the Partnumber, SKU, and even the lot number are all the same- why is the velocity so different? Which velocity do I trust? Is this a government conspiracy? :TFH:

BrassCase
09-04-2012, 5:47 PM
Call Hornady customer service with that data.

Eric_Oh
09-04-2012, 5:53 PM
Wow nice catch. I'm pretty sure one was mislabeled but how odd that you got two from the same lot labeled differently.

gti_20ae
09-04-2012, 6:01 PM
Wow, that's a pretty big difference.

Shapes And Colors
09-04-2012, 6:42 PM
There doing it threw are ammo! Oh no!!

They're, through, our. Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

OP I've never seen two boxes from the same lot with a difference like that. Good catch. It'd be interesting to chrono those and see which is correct.

ruggyh
09-04-2012, 6:46 PM
Typo on the right box,
run them over a chrono and get back to us
I have ran over 100 factory loads over the chrono and they have a spread of about 120 fps
at 50 yards not enough to determine any difference in the groups for me

JTROKS
09-04-2012, 9:31 PM
Same lot different labels.

oDxlzFbYfHY

Wildeman_13
09-05-2012, 9:10 AM
My guess is maybe they did a label print change halfway through the lot without thinking about it. For example, the right box was the first part of that Lot run, then someone updated the printer label code and the rest of that Lot run got the updated code, thus the box on the left with more info. Or the reverse could be true where they decided less info was better. I'd call them and see if they are aware of it at least.

Bartin
09-05-2012, 9:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QAz4G.png

mine show 2200fps

liberty47
09-05-2012, 1:12 PM
They're, through, our. Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

OP I've never seen two boxes from the same lot with a difference like that. Good catch. It'd be interesting to chrono those and see which is correct.

That definitely made me LOL

CK_32
09-05-2012, 3:42 PM
Who cares. Your. If your chrono FA always about +/- 300 fps from advertised anyways..

Just to shoot the stuff. Only thing that matters is calibers right and price.

JeremyS
09-05-2012, 3:53 PM
Maybe one's through a longer barrel than the other. With that load, the barrel lengths could vary quite a bit.

Cuda440
09-06-2012, 2:41 PM
So, mainly just out of curiosity I decided to email Hornady about it. It doesn't hurt to ask, even though the answer doesnt really matter and I planned to shoot it anyway.

Here's the email I sent to them:

Hi,

I was looking at some Hornady ammunition that I purchased, and I noticed that even though the product numbers and even the lot number was the same, the velocity ratings on the boxes do not match each other. The product is #9152, 200gr sst 460 S&w magnum. The lot number is 3050589. I took a picture of the boxes and uploaded it to photobucket, you can view the picture here: http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/460ammo0001.jpg

I just curious about which box is correct, and somewhat interested in why there is a variation in the exact same lot.

Thanks for your response,
G*******

And here's the response I just received:

We have reviewed the tests for this ammunition and our determination at this point the velocity of 2200 FPS is correct.* Apparently when the operator ran a second run of labels to print the end of the run of ammo they must have had non-vented pressure barrel velocities in mind and listed an incorrect velocity.*
I have issued you an email tag that will come from Webmaster so you can return this at our expense for testing and evaluation, this ammunition is 7 years old and we would like to positively determine what occurred.Please package both boxes of ammo securely in a sturdy cardboard box and use the shipping label and take it to a UPS facility and ship it to us.*
We will contact you when we have tested the ammo and explain for certain what occurred and make replacements to you.* In the event you have any questions please reply to this email and I will be happy to assist you.* Thank You for taking the time and effort to bring this to our attention.
Best Regards

So I guess I'll play along and ship it to them. They say it will be replaced, maybe I'll get something free out of it, who knows. I'll update the thread again when (if) I hear back from Hornady.

opie4386
09-06-2012, 2:53 PM
Tell them to toss in a hat/shirt/stickers etc.!

Good luck. They probably want the boxes to save there butts in case it kabooms.

Rorge Retson
09-06-2012, 7:53 PM
Tell them to toss in a hat/shirt/stickers etc.!
Yes! And coffee cups and pens and Hornady Post-Its Too!! :D