PDA

View Full Version : Springfield TRP; awesome customer service

dadennis
09-04-2012, 5:25 PM
Long time reader; first time post. Wanted to share my TRP experience. NIB, stainless. Disassembled, inspected, oiled, function test. No issues. Fired 50 factory rounds (all I had). No issues. The TRP was a joy to fire. Disassembled, cleaned, oiled, function test. No issues. Placed in safe for 3 days. Took it out; I could not pull slide back beyond hammer. Disassemble / Reassemble. Same. Disassemble. Mated slide to frame only. Same. Plenty of oil. Added some more. No change. No burs or scratches. Ambi safety not engaged nor in the way. No physical impediment that I could detect. Ejector firmly seated. Not my first 1911, either. Called Springfield. Spoke with Patti, who was just wonderful to deal with. She sent instructions and shipping label. That was about 3 weeks ago. Just got call. They had to re-fit the slide to the frame and they're shipping right away. Yeah, there's some frustration when things don't work out quite right. And I'm obviously aware of how much I paid for the TRP. But, I also understand they're tightly made and these things can happen. Esp. with precision instruments. But more so, I'm super pleased with Springfield's response. Wrote them and told them too. When I get her back, I plan to put at least 200 rounds through at the next session. Thoughts? I'll be calling Springfield and asking them the same question. Thanks for reading. This forum rocks.

DVSmith
09-04-2012, 5:32 PM
Put a thousand rounds through it and it will be nicely settled in. Have fun, it is a great firearm.

Press Check
09-04-2012, 6:00 PM
Another awesome testament to Springfield's customer service.

daybreak
09-04-2012, 6:46 PM
nice

jessegpresley
09-04-2012, 6:49 PM
People should put 300-500 rounds through their gun before taking them apart. Wilson Combat recommends this because people put their gun back together wrong, then call and complain their gun is defective.

dadennis
09-04-2012, 7:01 PM
I understand the concept of breaking in a firearm. If Springfield had recommended 300- 500 rounds of initial firing, I suspect I would have done so. I saw no such recommendation. I certainly did not reassemble the TRP incorrectly. It function tested perfectly the times I described. And yes, I even avoid the so-called "idiot scratch" along the frame. I specifically asked the Springfield rep what happened, and he told me he really couldn't explain it any better than to say the slide and frame had to be re-fitted. I have never experienced this with any of my other firearms. As is, I remain very pleased with Springfield's response.

Kimber, Springfield, HK, Sig Sauer, Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ, Beretta, Browning, Bersa, Ruger

Drok512
09-04-2012, 9:17 PM
well glad to hear about SA taking care of it... Im on the market for a TRP..

jdogg2000
09-04-2012, 9:57 PM
well glad to hear about SA taking care of it... Im on the market for a TRP..

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Springfield's CS. Get a TRP, you won't regret it. Mine is still pretty new, but unlike my Milspec which needed some break in, this one hasn't had any issues at all from the very first round.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CMezKFUfk54/UEBBNToMNEI/AAAAAAAABV8/_aQcbNTg01c/s800/DSC00067.jpg

Sac-AR15
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
My father in law bought a SS TRP and had issues with quality. The engraving on the slide started pit good and started fading after midpoint. No gunsmith # engraving on slide and frame. He called and they emailed shipping label and said they will take care of it. I've also been very happy with SA customer service. Glad my SS came out fine. Maybe his was finished on monday.

Press Check
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
People should put 300-500 rounds through their gun before taking them apart. Wilson Combat recommends this because people put their gun back together wrong, then call and complain their gun is defective.

Maybe I'm just used to field stripping and complete detail stripping, but I'm not entirely sure how a 1911 could go back together wrong. :confused:

Assembly is very straight-forward.

georound1
09-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I had that problem with my TRP. Worked for several mags, then stopped feeding correctly. Difficult to rack! Practically locked solid. Really had to pull with everything I had. Took it home and found a big burr where the slide stop mates into the slide. The burr was putting a nice gouge in the rails. Took a stone to it to clean it up. I wasn't happy about it, but didn't want to mail it back to Springfield Armory. I still don't know why it happened, maybe my grip pushing up the slide stop lever.

Just to be clear, I don't believe it was as much a defect as my grip. There was no way that burr was there from new...To the original posters comments, I imagine 'refitting the slide' could entail removing a burr similar to mine.

Farrier-1
09-05-2012, 6:44 AM
Yet another "I thankful that Springfield had good customer service because my 1911 didn't' work out of the box or quit working after I start shooting it" thread.

This honestly is the tenth or so thread I've read this month about a 1911 Springfield having to be sent back for warranty work, mine included. Maybe SA has trimmed some fat off the assembly line somewhere inorder to reduce costs?......

MIAMIbaseballer
09-05-2012, 6:52 AM
There's issues with every gun company... It's sure nice to know they stand behind their product unlike most. My good buddy in Delray beach had a great experience with them as well! Nothing but a top notch company from what I can see. Wish they made a 10mm :D

skyscraper
09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Yet another "I thankful that Springfield had good customer service because my 1911 didn't' work out of the box or quit working after I start shooting it" thread.

This honestly is the tenth or so thread I've read this month about a 1911 Springfield having to be sent back for warranty work, mine included. Maybe SA has trimmed some fat off the assembly line somewhere inorder to reduce costs?......

Always the same people crying and complaining. Op is happy, that's all that matters

Farrier-1
09-05-2012, 3:57 PM
Always the same people crying and complaining. Op is happy, that's all that matters

No crying here pal. Simply making an observation and asking questions as to why there is suddenly a (small) group of various SA 1911's that have had issues either out of the box or after a few rounds.

I was very pleased with SA's customers service; They handle my dilemma very well and i'm waiting to get mine back.