PDA

View Full Version : 1911 safety issue

wang949
09-04-2012, 4:48 PM
Hi all. So I carry a Ruger SR1911 cocked and locked in a serpa holster on my strongside hip when I go hunting. Last season was my first time carrying it, and I ran into an issue when wearing a jacket when the weather got colder. Crashing through bushes climbing over rough terrain, the jacket was rubbing up against the thumb safety and managed to disengage it several times. Does anyone else have experience with this problem? I guess wearing the pistol under the jacket would mitigate the safety making contact with the jacket, but it would also be harder to access the pistol when it counts most. Any ideas, other than get a glock?... which I'm considering for weight reasons. :43:

NewbieDave
09-04-2012, 5:00 PM
Your thumb safety plunger spring may be weak... check that first. Your safety should take a good amount of force to drop down.. and not just your jacket.

You can also get a Safariland ALS holster which protects the safety until the weapon is unholstered.

Brandon04GT
09-04-2012, 5:00 PM
Well the first option that comes to mind is you can replace the thumb safety with a smaller profile one...perhaps something closer to the GI style one and/or put in a stronger plunger spring?

jonzer77
09-04-2012, 5:55 PM
The Safety looks pretty minimal to begin with just looking at pics of it online.

Try a new plunger tube spring like Brandon suggested.....Wolff makes some of the best springs you can buy and its only $3 plus shipping.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#818

For $18 you could buy every spring for the gun and have them as a backup since you will want to replace the recoil spring every 5k rounds or so anyways.

SilverTauron
09-04-2012, 6:30 PM
With external safety weapons,sometimes things just happen in a way where the safety either engages or disengages by action of something else touching the weapon. Ive concealed & carried a Beretta M9 , a PT92 which has a Condition 1 action,and a 1911 more recently. With the PT92 once last year I unholstered it to discover the safety disengaged. Odd, since ive been to a house party with the gun and it never came off after a long night of dancing, so I cannot say the safety's too weak.

When I carried a Beretta 92F on occasion id discover the hammer drop safety would be engaged without me conciously activating it, a problem considering that I carried it safety off in DA for instant shootability. Once again the gun wasn't to blame, it just turned out my IWB was set so low that on re-holstering the edge of my belt would trip the safety if I didn't pay attention.

In your shoes, id modify my clothing setup before ordering parts.

redcliff
09-04-2012, 8:47 PM
I recommend that if you are carrying cocked and locked in brushy country in an exposed location that you get a thumb-break holster which blocks the hammer in case the safety is disengaged and also better secures the pistol.

Mikeb
09-04-2012, 9:14 PM
you could go off half cocked...

Bug Splat
09-04-2012, 9:46 PM
This is why I will never carry a 1911 ever again. I use to carry my then new 1911 and the safety was "stiff" but at some point during my day and after playing with my new baby I look down and see the safety off. My heart stopped and I could not breath for a second. As a test I carried for a while without a round in the chamber and the same thing happened 2 more times. Hammer never dropped but the safety was flipped off without me knowing it. At this point I never trusted safeties again and never will. 1911 is a fine gun but I do not feel comfortable carrying it. My holster was not an open top either. It was thick leather and had thumb break strap that covered the safety and hammer.

swifty
09-04-2012, 9:56 PM
Everybody has a box of holsters! Welcome to the club!:43:

Bug Splat
09-04-2012, 9:59 PM
Everybody has a box of holsters! Welcome to the club!:43:

Isn't that the truth! I have just about half a cow in one of drawers. Lot of money spent just TESTING holsters :(

InGrAM
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
A leg holster, a holster with a strap in between the hammer and slide, wear a longer jacket, wear a different jacket, plunger spring is weak, install a lower profile safety like a 1911a1 style.

With a proper holster your problem won't happen again.

Remember though that the 1911 has 2 safeties. So, even if your thumb safety was disengaged you still have the grip safety to fall back on.

Glocks don't have safeties and you only see inexperienced people *****ing about them.

Arkangel
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Try a Blackhawk Duty SERPA holster or a Safariland 6365 I carry my 1911 in both and have never had the safety inadvertently disengage.

These may seem like overkill, but they do their job of keeping your firearm where it belongs.

jonzer77
09-04-2012, 11:30 PM
This is why I will never carry a 1911 ever again. I use to carry my then new 1911 and the safety was "stiff" but at some point during my day and after playing with my new baby I look down and see the safety off. My heart stopped and I could not breath for a second. As a test I carried for a while without a round in the chamber and the same thing happened 2 more times. Hammer never dropped but the safety was flipped off without me knowing it. At this point I never trusted safeties again and never will. 1911 is a fine gun but I do not feel comfortable carrying it. My holster was not an open top either. It was thick leather and had thumb break strap that covered the safety and hammer.

Good thing there is a grip safety as well.

littlejake
09-05-2012, 8:13 AM
...ive been to a house party with the gun and it never came off after a long night of dancing...

Is that on YouTube?
:party:

Ducman
09-05-2012, 8:17 AM
whats the difference between a 1911 on condition 1 with safety down and a glock with a round in the chamber? :rolleyes:

zfields
09-05-2012, 8:22 AM
whats the difference between a 1911 on condition 1 with safety down and a glock with a round in the chamber? :rolleyes:

About 3 pounds of trigger pull.

Uncle Jimbo
09-05-2012, 8:24 AM
never had this problem with 1911 , is it ruger or you...

Budd
09-05-2012, 2:26 PM
As it has been mentioned - you also have a grip safety and a (trigger)finger safety. The gun shouldn't fire just because the thumb safety is off - you also need to grip the firearm AND put your finger on the trigger.

jonzer77
09-05-2012, 2:30 PM
About 3 pounds of trigger pull and a grip safety on the 1911.

Fixed it for you :)

Irv
09-05-2012, 7:58 PM
I think you just need a good custom holster with the safety indent.

ASTMedic
09-05-2012, 9:44 PM
I've never had a problem with my safety coming off. I carry all day everyday. Doing everything from crawling under the car to change the oil to wrestling with the dogs. I use a kydex holster I made and don't have the safety covered either.