PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight for Home Defense Handgun

MusicMatt
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey,

My wife mentioned that she might want a mounted flashlight for her Sig Sp2022.

I was wondering if you think they are necessary or just a niche. You can see a person's form clearly at night in our bedroom.

Right now she has a small flashlight next to her Sig.

If so, what do you recommend? I like the strobe function, but paying $100's of dollars for a flashlight seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks

AeroEngi
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Streamlight TLR-1s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

theneko
09-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Definateley get a TLR-1, you should be able to find it for < $100. (or the "s" model with strobe)

You can always use an external flashlight, even if you also have one mounted on the gun. But if you need ytou other hand to open a door, etc. having one on the gun is key.

You can practice using the edge of the light to look around if you are worried about pointing the gun at everything you want to see.

AE102
09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Streamlight TLR-1s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1. or if strobe effect is not needed, get the regular TLR-1

unusedusername
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Lights on HD firearms are pretty much a must in my opinion. All it takes is a power outage, or a really dark night (or both!) and suddenly you can't see.

Basically 2 brands are know to not break when fired on a gun, Streamlight and Surefire.

Streamlight is probably what you want in this case. TLR-1 runs about $100 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr1-weapon-mounted-flashlight.html). Don't skimp on the batteries either for these, as the cheaper batteries are not recoil-rated and can do bad things (info.publicintelligence.net/FBI-LithiumBatteries.pdf) (link goes to PDF, sorry could not find HTML version of this).

There are cheaper ones flashlights, but they generally don't work very well. The recoil makes them fall apart.

P5Ret
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I go back and forth on this, mostly because I learned how to use a light and a handgun at the same time before rails were the in thing. I have one, mine is an old Insight (I think they had the only game in town back when I got it) it became the Streamlight tlr1 I think. I don't like the pressure pad activated lights on a hand gun. I don't want that light coming on until I want it on. My go to hand held light is an old style Surefire Z2 with a lanyard. Pretty easy to drop the light open a door or reload, and have the light ready to go again pretty quick.

Flowmini98
09-04-2012, 2:14 PM
I picked up a Streamlight tlr for my XD. Midway has them on sale under $100 without the strobe

xDIEGOx
09-04-2012, 2:34 PM
My tlr-1 c4 should be here Thursday. :)

patrickstarfish
09-04-2012, 2:39 PM
Tlr-3, a better size for semi-compact size guns. Bright enough for indoors.

CasperSYTFU
09-04-2012, 2:42 PM
TLR1s

SDawson
09-04-2012, 2:43 PM
I have wondered about attaching a light to my HD weapon. I remember a comment a LEO made and that was the bad guy will aim at the light. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

CasperSYTFU
09-04-2012, 2:45 PM
I have wondered about attaching a light to my HD weapon. I remember a comment a LEO made and that was the bad guy will aim at the light. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

How will you know if your pointing your HD weapon at the bad guy or your spouse/child/friend who also got up to check out what that "bump in the night" was?

You have the element of surprise anyway.

Tiberius
09-04-2012, 3:13 PM
Just make sure to test out whatever you get. Weirdly, some polymer guns in .40 that otherwise run fine develop issues with lights. As far as I know, it's only polymer guns in .40 that have shown this; it seems to have something to do with the frame flexing. I've seen posts about some Glocks and, I think, at least one 2022 with this issue.

scglock
09-04-2012, 3:42 PM
TLR-1/1S or TLR-3

EricStanley
09-04-2012, 3:51 PM
I have a TLR-4 on my SP2022 and I'm very happy with it. Very easy to operate, the light is ridiculously bright. I don't care much about the laser, but it's nice to have.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/ericstanley/IMG_2383.jpg

Drok512
09-04-2012, 4:12 PM
i got a $39 light on my sp2022.. its a protec elite 190 lumens. Works perfect.. extremely bright... they are all over the net, ebay amazon etc..

found mine in walmart..

OpenYourEyes
09-04-2012, 4:28 PM
Don't mean to thread jack.... but, what do you guys recommed as far as a handheld light to compliment your HD gun if it doesn't have rails? I'd prefer a AA or AAA, but has to be 100 lumens +

My S&W Shield will be my HD gun once it arrives, and it does not have a rail.

willerfortheworld
09-04-2012, 4:36 PM
Anyone know what gun mounted light/laser would be good for my Czech p01 rail around 100$ That won't fall apart? I have to look at that trl-4 is that a laser under the light I see??

INFAMOUS762X39
09-04-2012, 4:50 PM
I am currently looking at a Streamlight TLR-1 for HD.

Surefire is ideal, only if I am going to hell and back. Or I plan to take a nice swim with my Glock.

L84CABO
09-04-2012, 5:08 PM
She needs a light. Whether it's handheld or mounted to the gun is really a matter of personal choice. No right or wrong answer, only preference. Pros and cons to both.

Good luck.

madstyle1
09-04-2012, 5:20 PM
I picked up a streamlight TLR-1 for my ruger SR9 and it works really well and super bright. The LED can blind a person....

Old4eyes
09-04-2012, 5:27 PM
I suggest looking at the video "Night Master: Low Light shooting and flashlight techniques" by Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn. You can find it at Midway USA.

They cover lights both mounted and hand carried, and they give a pro/con for the various methods. One thought that is common whether or not the light is mounted on the gun, you momentarily light up the target, get the identification as to whether or not to shoot, then get the light off and MOVE. You depend on night sites to get onto the silhouette which you have previously identified as a target rather than bystander. If the bad guy returns fire, he's firing at where you were, which is why you moved, hopefully to a shooting position that has cover.

They cover the following techniques for holding a light: Harries, Chapman, Ayoob (a modified Chapman), FBI and Rogers. The tell you to try them all and use what works for you although it is clearly evident they favor the Rogers which requires a small flashlight with rear button, and the clearly have issues with the FBI method.

And what do the say is the ultimate - a light mounted on the weapon.

It is clear that the video is old (transcribed from tape to DVD) by the light shown mounted onto the weapon, but the information is presented in a thoughtful manner and is quite educational.

I have weapon mounted lights (TLR-1) and have handheld light (Surefire - I bought into the Rogers technique). Do some research and experiment. Go to the range and practice live fire with the method(s) you choose.

Squidward
09-04-2012, 5:27 PM
I have a Surefire 9P that I've owned since 1990. I've only replaced the batteries and one bulb in that time. I've repainted it a couple of times also. It was my work light for 19 years and now it's my EDC light and it has been bulletproof. So a Surefire for the handgun is a good call IMO.

tal3nt
09-04-2012, 5:32 PM
GLOCK: INSIGHT M3 LED Tactical Illuminator

Shenaniguns
09-04-2012, 6:06 PM
Gml and handheld ftw!

far from tactical
09-04-2012, 6:43 PM
Streamlight tlr 1s

Dhena81
09-04-2012, 6:53 PM
I have a handheld with a lanyard and a weapon mounted light both surefire. You need a light if you have a home defense gun because you need to identify first. Having a handheld is easier to go around obstructions with and having a light on a lanyard gives you retention if you want to use a two handed shooting technique after identification.

tbc
09-04-2012, 6:57 PM

You may need it and wish that you have it on your SD firearms. You don't have to use it but it's there to give you option. A great example (for me) is the condition from the Batman theater incident...I would use the light...

I hope this helps...

gundad
09-04-2012, 8:12 PM
I dont have a suggestion other than it could be you that accidentally surprises her in the middle of the night. Would you want her to have an easily accesible light at that moment?

hermosabeach
09-04-2012, 8:59 PM
http://www.jgsales.com/streamlight-m3-tactical-light-for-glock-or-military-standard-1913-picatinny-rail.-p-51338.html

Police trade in - lightly used models of streamlight for around $50

pyromensch
09-04-2012, 9:04 PM
light is necessary, (on demand), and better, if it is leaving your other hand free. any of the above. i have 2 tlr-1's, and a tlr-2. would like to get the "s" model.

oddjob
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I like a light with the rear button. I have a Surefire and a Blackhawk Gladius light. I use the Harries method and Todd Jarrett's method. I've shot in low light matches and if the light source is in back of the sights its faster to see the target & sights. This is obviously a one handed shooting style. You'd be surprised what works and what doesn't work for YOU (or your wife). I've used the Harries, Chapman, Ayoob & etc and depending on your body type one will work for you. I prefer a separate light source not mounted on my handgun. I don't use the strobe function. I will caution you that some weaker wrist people do end up limp wristing the gun causing malfunctions. Learn to clear a gun and reload with a flashlight too.

If you get a chance to shoot a IDPA/USPSA type night course with a separate light do it. You'll be surprised. Took me about eight stages of fire before I figured out what worked best for me. Shooting with your light is different and slow.

If you do decide to put a light on your gun shoot at least 100 rounds through it to make sure the handgun functions properly (especially polymer guns). I've seen about a half dozen Glock 22's and 23's (Gen 3's) malfunction with lights mounted. The guns were fine without the lights.

Good Luck!

ODub
09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I have an M&P 9 with a Surefire X300 mounted on it for home defense. It stays on the nightstand with a Fenix TK15 handheld next to it. The weapon-mounted light is a requirement for me, but it may be an option for others. I splurged on the Surefire because I wanted it to be the last light I ever buy for the gun (Until the next gun, i guess :D).

OP, is her small flashlight bright enough to blind and disorient an intruder? Have her flash you with it in a dark room to find out. If it doesn't, look into some tactical-style lights that are 100+ lumens with a strike bezel. Better to have it and not need it. I love my Fenix(s) for their value and performance. I have 6 and counting.

Do you have kids or pets? Then a weapon-mounted light is a requirement so that you can assist them and keep your vision going. Come to think of it, the fact that you're married makes the weapon-mounted light a requirement because you may need to assist your wife if she's hurt.

Really, when you consider the difficulty of reloading in the dark during a home defense situation, a weapon-mounted light is the way to go. Get the Surefire and save the budgeting for your hobbies. This is your life.

calbear550
09-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Don't mean to thread jack.... but, what do you guys recommed as far as a handheld light to compliment your HD gun if it doesn't have rails? I'd prefer a AA or AAA, but has to be 100 lumens +

My S&W Shield will be my HD gun once it arrives, and it does not have a rail.

check out the fenix pd32. great value in my opinion.

Virus55
09-05-2012, 4:45 PM
streamlight TLR-1s

tacksman
09-05-2012, 4:47 PM
+1:)
+1. or if strobe effect is not needed, get the regular TLR-1