PDA

View Full Version : New shotgun need help. Weatherby or Beretta

raymond200m
09-04-2012, 8:08 AM
I am going to purchase a shotgun this saturday and need help deciding what to buy. i wan a 12g semi auto around $500 to $700
My first pick was the weatherby SA-08 but when i found out that it was made in Turkey i don't want it anymore. second is the Beretta A300.
you guys think the A300 is a good pick? and is there anything that is decent out there for the price i want to spend.

kglover
09-04-2012, 1:35 PM
I wouldn't discount the Weatherby SA-08 just because it was made in Turkey. My friend owns an SA-08 and it is an excellent gun. It has excellent fit and finish and has shot every round we have ever put through it, especially the cheap Wal-Mart stuff. I would definitely take a look at it and handle it before you discount it.

NytWolf
09-04-2012, 1:48 PM
Between the two, I would pick the Beretta. The Beretta would have a softer recoiling system due to its gas-operated system. The Weatherby is just a more expensive version of the Turkish-made shotguns. I have a Charles Daly, which is basically the same thing, and it recoils at least twice as hard as my Beretta Teknys Gold. But then again, with my Beretta, I could buy four of the Charles Daly.

RayPDA
09-04-2012, 8:22 PM
As a fan and owner of the older (original) A300 series, I'd say go with the Outlander - has been out in the UK for a little while now - have not had a chance to fondle one since the local shop doesn't have any in...some design features from the 391 and 400, with some lower price point additions and omissions...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=272558

On the other hand, a shooting buddy of mine has always found his SA-08 to be a dandy little gun, and always has it in the car as a loaner or for getting new folks into shooting...and he spends most of his time with a K-80 Pro Sporter...

Newshooter
09-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Beretta! I love mine and it has never failed to cycle loads from 900 fps managed recoil loads to heavy 3" mags. I have shot close to 10,000 rounds through it and it still goes strong.

raymond200m
09-05-2012, 9:23 AM
I went to turners yesterday and they don't have the A300, they don't even know when they will get it if i place the order, they told me two weeks two months or might be a year. i am going to call around to see if anyone has it, if not might as well buy a benelli super nova. as for the weatherby they didn't have that ether, and i just cant get over it that its made in Turkey.

runway1
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=kglover;9263106]I wouldn't discount the Weatherby SA-08 just because it was made in Turkey.....QUOTE]

Personally, I would. Especially compared to an Italian made gun. Just by chance, I've seen two Huglus (sp?) both break lugs on the skeet range - months apart. One nearly brand new. Never saw anything like it.

Sorry, but to compare today's Italian shotguns to Turkish models is exactly like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo.

Get the Beretta. It's a no-brainer. Check out the champion shooters. US nationl team has 10 Kreighoffs, 10 Berettas, and 4 Perazzis. Now sure, that 300 isn't Beretta's champion gun, but it comes from the same gene pool.

Newshooter
09-05-2012, 4:15 PM
According to Beretta's website, the A300 is MADE IN THE USA.

It has a great Italian heritage behind it AND built in the US. Sounds like a winner to me!!

raymond200m
09-06-2012, 9:06 AM
a buddy just told me that the A300 was pushed back to binning of 2013. they are not available as of now in the US.

crackerman
09-06-2012, 9:36 AM
I went to turners yesterday and they don't have the A300, they don't even know when they will get it if i place the order, they told me two weeks two months or might be a year. i am going to call around to see if anyone has it, if not might as well buy a benelli super nova. as for the weatherby they didn't have that ether, and i just cant get over it that its made in Turkey.

I had an a300 on order from April. Finally got tired of waiting and was going to get a Benelli M2 but lucked out just walking into turners one day and saw the 3901 I have today. (Which was the gun I wanted anyway).

Call around and see if any local stores have some new old stock sitting on a shelf. You may get lucky like I did, but Beretta all the way.

I have shot a SA-08 and while they work I think its better to get the Beretta.

Its like a Kia vs a Mercedes, or more apt a Kia Gensis vs a Mercedes A class. Both work, but the Mercedes is really just a bit nicer, more reliable, and has better aftermarket support.