PDA

View Full Version : oil can supressor?

whatpain
09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
not a very realistic thing to use in real life. not sure how you would even aim using this thing. stupid idea? great idea? thoughts?

haiqFcIXTqs&

Merc1138
09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Why would you think that you can't aim with this? You just need a sight that sits high enough. Notice the red dot they're using on the 10/22 SBR that sits high enough over the filter.

Aspec5vz
09-04-2012, 1:17 AM
Dupe but still kinda cool!

BigRich
09-04-2012, 3:20 AM
An LEO buddy who attends clandestine weapons classes at Lassen says the instructor (also LEO) threaded a Glock 17 barrel to fit an oil filter and it was reasonably effective for about 30 rounds. No accuracy since the bullet was wiping through all kinds of stuff on the way out. They also fabricated and tested lightning links for an AR-15 and a Browning High Power. This is done so the officers can recognize these devices when they encounter them. They also examined all kinds of Zip, cane and pen guns for the same purpose.

JTROKS
09-04-2012, 8:31 AM
An LEO buddy who attends clandestine weapons classes at Lassen says the instructor (also LEO) threaded a Glock 17 barrel to fit an oil filter and it was reasonably effective for about 30 rounds. No accuracy since the bullet was wiping through all kinds of stuff on the way out. They also fabricated and tested lightning links for an AR-15 and a Browning High Power. This is done so the officers can recognize these devices when they encounter them. They also examined all kinds of Zip, cane and pen guns for the same purpose.

Thank goodness they have some LEO folks keeping up with that kind of stuff.

When you see knuckleheads like this
WdY9dco6SDo

makes me wish information on full auto and suppressors aren't so easy to access.

Librarian
09-04-2012, 8:36 AM
not a very realistic thing to use in real life. not sure how you would even aim using this thing. stupid idea? great idea? thoughts?

Besides the illegal silencer issue, you mean ...

elsolo
09-04-2012, 8:41 AM

They are selling legally transferable oil filter adapters with the required NFA paperwork. Not legal everywhere, nor illegal everywhere.

mossy
09-04-2012, 8:42 AM

$75 (+ 200 for the tax stamp). not a bad price if you are in a free state.

in free states you can own suppressors

Jeepers
09-04-2012, 8:57 AM
still trying to figure out if this "can" adapter is different to a "solvent trap" one is legal everywhere , one req a stamp ...

hmmmmmm guess its all in the "intent" ?....

damngato
09-04-2012, 10:15 AM
interesting, definitely a neat idea

elsolo
09-04-2012, 10:19 AM
still trying to figure out if this "can" adapter is different to a "solvent trap" one is legal everywhere , one req a stamp ...

hmmmmmm guess its all in the "intent" ?....

One is legal, the other is "manufacturing a device" if you use it as a silencer.

Potatoes are legal, but I don't think it's legal to stuff one on the muzzle to work like a suppressor like they do in the movies.

Librarian
09-04-2012, 2:33 PM
They are selling legally transferable oil filter adapters with the required NFA paperwork. Not legal everywhere, nor illegal everywhere.

Posted in a CA forum; silencers are illegal in CA. See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Silencers

SoCal Gunner
09-04-2012, 3:01 PM
Read about that years ago in a Tom Clancy novel.

CK_32
09-04-2012, 3:07 PM

I'm surprised it took that many relies for someone to actually say this.. Lol

Still not better than Marky marks water bottle with a rag in it :D

Anchors
10-22-2012, 9:54 PM
I just found this. Was going to repost, but I'll just bump.
I don't know why I want one since you can't even aim haha.

I guess us Californians are so desperate that we dream of moving out and getting an oil filter for our guns haha.

Czsp-01-9mm
10-22-2012, 11:06 PM
$75 (+ 200 for the tax stamp). not a bad price if you are in a free state.

in free states you can own suppressors

Yeah but the gray area is bad, 75+200 tax stamp, the adapter and the oil filter have matching serial numbers, so after you read up on the ATF laws you find you can't just change filters yourself, you would have to send in the adaptor and filter and pay another 200 dollar tax stamp just to get a new oil filter.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html#ffl-silencer-repair

1911Operator
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
good luck getting that on the threaded barrel you DONT have

nanoc
10-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah but the gray area is bad, 75+200 tax stamp, the adapter and the oil filter have matching serial numbers, so after you read up on the ATF laws you find you can't just change filters yourself, you would have to send in the adaptor and filter and pay another 200 dollar tax stamp just to get a new oil filter.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html#ffl-silencer-repair

Not exactly only the adapter has a serial number on it. Only that adapter in the eyes of ATF was considered the suppressor or that's what the company was trying to do.

AK47American
10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I am sure that any criminal who saw this video just became aware of a way to shoot someone and have no one else hear them. great job.

ClarenceBoddicker
10-22-2012, 11:39 PM
ATF has long ruled since 1986 (when the Federal definition of a silencer was changed to outlaw silencer kits) that common unmodified items like oil filters, screens, metal grommets, plastic or rubber wipes, brass wool, etc are unregulated if you have a registered housing (can, tube) or adapter that uses them. The housing/adapter is the silencer under the law. For those who wish to learn about suppressed 10/22s, research what class 3 manufacturer John Norrell has done. His full auto & suppressed 10/22s were state of the art back in the day. Remember the ammo has to be subsonic to work best. Bolt noise can be very loud also.

CA may & probably will look at things differently if it suits their goals. IIRC you can legally own a silencer in CA, if you can get a DW permit from CA DOJ. Silencers are not something to play around with. The penalties are very serious. ATF has successfully prosecuted people for making suppressors from stuff like cardboard toilet paper tubes stuffed with wadded up TP & taped to a gun. The conviction was upheld on appeal.

Czsp-01-9mm
10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Not exactly only the adapter has a serial number on it. Only that adapter in the eyes of ATF was considered the suppressor or that's what the company was trying to do.

Straight from the manufactures website:

The adapter part is manufactured by Cadiz Gun Works, Jewett, OH and carries a registered serial number The oil filter will share the serial number of the adapter.

willerfortheworld
10-23-2012, 1:22 AM
What's next fog lamps for tac lights?

NoHeavyHitter
10-23-2012, 1:31 AM
I have one of these illegal silencers on my automobile! I'm even running it "wet"...

God, I sure hope the cops never look under the hood of my car. But then I'd think they'd go and arrest Manny, Moe, and Jack for selling illegal firearms accessories before coming after me - at least I hope so.