PDA

View Full Version : Spray painted Glock

itzjere
09-03-2012, 10:09 PM
So I was a bit bored this long weekend and somehow ended up looking at OD/FDE frame Glocks. I thought it would be a fun project to spray paint my Glock 19 after researching the cost of Duracoating/Cerakoting. I decided to first trying this on my airsoft Glock 19. Here's the fruit from about 2 hours.

Stripped internals out of Glock (Very similar to a real Glock)
Wet sanded frame with 200 grit sand paper
Degreased oil from frame with Mineral Spirits
3 light coats of primer
3 light coats of satin OD green (Rustoleum Camouflage)
Let it dry and re-assemble

Finish is smooth. I have read people having issues with the paint pealing and nicking easily. I am familiar to the painting process for autobody, so I applied the same steps and concepts here. Bottom line - It's all in the prep. Good prep will leave to a good finish.

Now the question is, should I do the same to my real Glock 19?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7927948282_acdd15a59a_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8306/7927948166_5ec486f966_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/7927948410_66c568ee1e_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7927948550_2a67f98d69_b.jpg

anymoose
09-03-2012, 10:15 PM
if you like the look of worn paint on a gun, do it. your grip will get worn down.

i painted my AR (and my truck) with krylon fusion which apparently is what the military is using on their guns. its been holding up really well on the truck and i did no paint prep. its also holding up well on the AR, but high use areas do chip and fade (mag well area, grip, safety selector...)

Jimmy310
09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes, your airsoft looks great! You can do mine too!

ultimatetaba
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow! The finish looks impeccable. Would look great on the real deal, but my main concern would be how the finish holds up after banging it around and such. Looks awesome though.

Js3o2
09-03-2012, 10:21 PM
nice job :D

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Take a little bit of Hoppe's to it and you'll have the answer.

scglock
09-04-2012, 1:16 AM
Wow that looks amazing!

bsg
09-04-2012, 1:18 AM
i wouldn't paint the G19.

Rorge Retson
09-04-2012, 7:24 AM
Use the airsoft for a few months first to see how it wears.

StefanJanowski
09-04-2012, 8:23 AM
It all depends on the spraypaint you used also. What brand of spraypaint did you use?

Montana is one of my favorites to use.

willerfortheworld
09-04-2012, 9:48 AM
Do it! Your airsoft glock turned out great. I like the look of worn paint. It gives a gun military character. You can always 're-paint it too.

aznanimekid
09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
KSC? got the same one :P

damngato
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
It looks really nice but I would be a little concerned about doing it to the real one. Seems like it might wear down from normal use

CK_32
09-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Looks nice I was thinking of doing the same thing. Can't take the leap tho.

itzjere
09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone.

The paint hasn't fully cured (7 days the can says), so I will let it cure, and then play around with it.. I'll also put a few drops of solvent that I typically use during cleaning to see how it holds up.

I agree with most people that it will probably wear off.. I expect it to.. it's 'just paint', as is with most other coatings.. All in all, I will say it looks great in terms of finish when done.. durability is to be determined.. of course, everyone's use and levels of acceptance will vary.

emsalex
09-04-2012, 2:28 PM
It all depends on the spraypaint you used also. What brand of spraypaint did you use?

Montana is one of my favorites to use.

Real Montana or over priced German rip off.? I would go ironlak or belton for low pressure.

robert101
09-04-2012, 2:42 PM
I've never painted a gun as I'm not convinced it holds up to holster, practice and solvent wear. Let us know in 3 months please.

tal3nt
09-04-2012, 6:31 PM
Glocks look best with black frames just my two cents

gunfan74
09-06-2012, 7:17 PM
looks great on the airsoft model, i once painted my truck toolbox using this same paint along with the grey color that goes with it. be sure to post pics after some holster time. i'm about to buy a new glock 19, and as its hard to find OD glocks in Kali, i was thinking about painting mine after i get it.

kentactic
09-06-2012, 7:29 PM
If its for a photo op go for it. if its for shooting dont if you want the look to remain. a thin .001 inch thick paint layer isnt going to last long rubbing against your hand, holster, brush, and fighting solvents and oils etc... no matter how much you prepped the surface.

gunfan74
09-06-2012, 7:41 PM
The good thing about spray paint..... Shake, respray until desired results are achieved.

Shapes And Colors
09-06-2012, 8:07 PM
I like the color a lot. Well done.

Distro
09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Here is a real G22 done with Krylon.

ocDtn2Qo4cE

willerfortheworld
09-07-2012, 2:06 PM
I'm looking to do my cz p-01 in a cerakote. I just don't know if I should stick with the graphite black look or two tone it with a tactical gray or flat dark earth or even that cool burnt bronze?? I just don't know tho

Rorge Retson
09-07-2012, 2:11 PM
I'm looking to do my cz p-01 in a cerakote. I just don't know if I should stick with the graphite black look or two tone it with a tactical gray or flat dark earth or even that cool burnt bronze?? I just don't know tho

I vote gold with a little fire engine red, a la Ironman. ;)

Hopalong
09-07-2012, 2:14 PM
Another top ten reason to own a Glock

"Takes spray paint well"

itzjere
09-23-2012, 6:48 PM
So after some consideration, I decided to have my Glock professionally coated instead of spray paint. I didn't handle the airsoft version very much because I knew it wouldn't withstand much use, esp with cleaning solvents. I also decided to coat it in FDE instead of OD. Very happy with the result. The finish and feel is exactly like an OEM Glock.. so it feels natural. Coated in Polane-T, which is what Duracoat is actually based from.

Enjoy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/8018171028_0811e4e770_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/8018170766_b7d13809f5_b.jpg

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-23-2012, 8:29 PM
It hasn't yet in well over 10 years of cleaning Glocks with it. Gunscrubber doesn't, either. I'm not talking about over 10 years of cleaning Glocks, I'm talking over 10 years of cleaning one specific Glock pistol. If your statement were true, that pistol would have shown it.

Cali-Shooter
09-23-2012, 8:33 PM
If your using hoppes to clean you polymer frames your in for a big nasty surprise down the road... Hoppes will eat away at your polimer...

I call FUD. I use Hoppe's 9 all the time to clean my G22C and G35. The frame is as immaculate as the day I got it.

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 8:35 PM
If your using hoppes to clean you polymer frames your in for a big nasty surprise down the road... Hoppes will eat away at your polimer...

Define "down the road". I've been using it weekly on my 23 for about...oh, 5 years.

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 8:37 PM
Are we talking about solvent, Like hoppes #9?

Yes, #9. Any proof of this claim?

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 8:40 PM
If you are talking about solvent, then yes, it is damaging your frame. Call Glock and ask if they recomend using Hoppes Solvent to clean the fram. Dont take my word for it...

Again, proof? So far we have 3 people who have been doing so for quite a while now with zero issue and no sign of any damage whatsoever.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-23-2012, 8:44 PM
If you are talking about solvent, then yes, it is damaging your frame. Call Glock and ask if they recomend using Hoppes Solvent to clean the frame. Dont take my word for it...

Show the proof or it's FUD. What some random person at Glock says isn't proof. Is it in the owner's manual? Armorer's manual?

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 8:46 PM
Like I said, dont take my word for it, Call Glock...

The same company that told me to only ever use nylon bore brushes, never clean the bronze anti-seize, and never shoot reloads. What you've done here is asserted a claim contrary to several peoples' experience, offered nothing in the way of proof, and told me to call a manufacturer to back up your claim. I asked what kind of time frame you were talking about and you're telling me to call someone else.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-23-2012, 8:53 PM
Hmm, let me quote from Glock's own published factory maintenance instructions (http://us.glock.com/documents/gun_maintenance.pdf):

The frame should be checked for cleanliness. Exposed parts in the frame may be wiped with a clean, soft cloth that has been slightly dampened with a quality firearm cleaning solvent. All solvent should then be wiped from the parts so that they are clean and dry.Now, wouldn't one suppose that if Hoppe's #9 was known by Glock USA to damage a major component of their firearm that they might see fit to mention that in their maintenance instructions?

I call FUD. Prove otherwise or admit you're blowing smoke.

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 8:55 PM
I dont use hoppes on polymer so I cat tell you how long it will take to damage it. If your blowing the solvent out of the gun who knows, maybe a life time. Try soaking your fram in a tub of hoppes for a week and report back with your results.

Thanks...

Again, you have no experience and nothing to back it up, and now you want me to start deep soaking my guns in chemicals for ludicrous amounts of time to prove your point for you.

Clean your mosin with mineral spirits. No biggie, very common. Now soak the stock in mineral spirits for a week. Report back with your results.

dougd1015
09-23-2012, 9:15 PM
I think a slightly worn finish on a real Glock gives it character, but whatever people like is their choice.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-23-2012, 9:29 PM
Credit to Fortified Peasant for coming forward and clarifying the source of his statement as being an instructor, not Glock.

I look forward to the result of the experiment. I recommend a Glock magazine catch as they are inexpensive and most likely made from the same polymer as the frame. If your results interest me enough, I'll sacrifice a spare catch and repeat your experiment.

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 9:41 PM
I can only say that I have been told from a firearms instructor that it will degrade polymer. I have no proof.

I canot afford to dump a frame into hoppes and see how it reacts so I will find a cheap gun related part and soak it in hoppes for a week and report back with the results. I understand that most will not subject their frames to solvent for that amount of time and will blow it out, but this test will be simulating years of cleaning. I will start a new thread when the results are ready.

As far as the instructor being the source, that's all I was asking for. Thank you for clarifying.

As far as the talk about it simulating cleaning, that's just not correct. What you're talking about is dumping hoppes on it and leaving it there, repeating this procedure for years. That's not how you clean a gun, is it? Don't you wipe the solvents off until the gun is clean and dry? There's a difference between an extreme prolonged soak, in which the solvent seeps deep and eats away at the material over an extended time, and a 20 minute cleaning job that's wiped away and washed off. 2 minutes in mineral spirits cleans up fine, 7 days in mineral spirits corrodes the finish away due to the depth of soak. Maybe we just clean our guns differently, and that's the difference. Who knows.

Shapes And Colors
09-23-2012, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the part recomodation, I think I'll try a few different parts in different batches. Now I'm interested in the results. Be heading to the store tomorrow to pick up some #9

The mag catch is a good idea, I would have never thought of that. I'll be curious too. Thanks. :D

Virus55
09-24-2012, 9:26 PM
Looks sweet!!

KrisDSA
01-10-2015, 4:40 PM
Any update. How did the coating hold up

Dingusmalarky
01-10-2015, 4:55 PM
best part about spray paint is that its easy to reapply

BigPimping
01-10-2015, 5:51 PM
Use the airsoft for a few months first to see how it wears.

Amazing skill. But I would use it for a while before painting your real Glock.

Capybara
01-10-2015, 6:55 PM
Glocks are probably one of the ugliest guns out there. Yours look good this way though, I like the two tone effect. They lines are still ugly but you upped the overall look quite a bit with your paint jobs. Nice work.