View Full Version : No BS trigger advice for vintage 10/22

09-03-2012, 6:52 PM
I was fortunate enough to obtain a 1967 fingergroove deluxe in original and unmolested condition for $195. Had one when I was a kid and always wanted another. (This allows me to move my '74 deluxe sporter on to my wife.) Got her cleaned up today and the trigger pull is off the scale. I have read numerous trigger job threads with many great ideas, but now I'm wondering if I should just throw a whole new fire control unit in (Timney, Volq, or ?) rather than trying to part together a trigger job. I'd like to maintain the original appearance, but I also want to shoot Appleseed soon and want a rock solid performer. Any 10/22 guru's wanna weigh in here? Remember....really want to keep the vintage look.....and don't like plastic crap. Thanks. I'll try and throw some pic's up in a day or two...

09-03-2012, 7:08 PM

Send the trigger group to Randy at CPC. He will work his magic on it. Give him a call first and ask all the questions you have. Much cheaper than buying a new trigger group. I am very impressed with what he did on my 10-22T. Well worth the money. Consider sending the entire rifle to him and having him do a full tune up. You will be both pleased and impressed with his work.

This is a cut and paste from his web site. "CPC reworks the factory trigger pull to a lightened excellent single stage trigger, removing slack and creep and adding an overtravel stop."

His trigger work consists of the following:

2.0 - 2.4 lb trigger pull
Trigger and hammer side shims
Trigger overtravel screw
Forward anti-creep/slack screw
Auto-bolt release conversion
Single stage pull reworked to be as crisp as possible
Oversize receiver pins installed to tighten trigger group
Extended magazine release installed

09-03-2012, 7:41 PM
I just answered this for someone else. Having the factory triggers modified will improve the trigger and keep factory look. The Volquartsen complete trigger assembly has a faceted look and the amazing Kidd two-stage has a ramped look. But if you're going to an Appleseed I'd switch to a long lever type mag release which will change the look but makes dropping a mag so much faster.

Thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9230328&postcount=3

Just to illustrate that there is a lot that you can do and keep a factory style look. This one has a factory trigger group that's been modified by Clark Custom.

Kidd Trigger assembly with the Kidd lever style mag release.

Volquartsen trigger assembly.