PDA

View Full Version : New revolver: 1966 Colt Trooper .357

Anchors
09-03-2012, 7:03 PM
1966 Colt Trooper .357 (original model, not MKIII).
With box, papers, test target. Unfired except by factory.

My first Colt. I've wanted a Python for a long time. They used to call this one the "poor man's Python" haha. :D

http://i45.tinypic.com/2bbhon.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/evcava.jpg

Dragon
09-03-2012, 7:05 PM
Wow! very nice find.

bsg
09-03-2012, 7:07 PM
very nice pick up. congratulations.

psango
09-03-2012, 7:12 PM
That is nice! Wish I had one.

Anchors
09-03-2012, 7:13 PM
Thanks fellas :D

Now my only dilemma is whether to shoot it or not.
I mean, it isn't a mint Python, but it is still pretty old and in about 99% condition.

One thing I hate about collecting older guns lol.

Oceanbob
09-03-2012, 7:45 PM
Wow..a work of ART. Congrats..!

bombadillo
09-03-2012, 7:49 PM
I miss mine dearly. I sold it for $450 and regret it everytime I shoot .38sp.

den888
09-03-2012, 8:43 PM
Very nice Colt!

INFAMOUS762X39
09-03-2012, 8:57 PM
Too nice for words!

Nice pick-up, congrats.

Thomas1190
09-03-2012, 8:59 PM
Beautiful!!! I would gladly take that if I couldn't get a Python! Nice score :D

pyromensch
09-03-2012, 9:28 PM
1966 Colt Trooper .357 (original model, not MKIII).
With box, papers, test target. Unfired except by factory.

My first Colt. I've wanted a Python for a long time. They used to call this one the "poor man's Python" haha. :D

http://i45.tinypic.com/2bbhon.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/evcava.jpg

yeah, it has the same lock work, as the python...then they went to the mk3, and changed it all, but not necessarily for the worse.

very nice find.

pyromensch
09-03-2012, 9:29 PM
i'll bet you might be able to find a python barrel, somewhere. if you wanted to cross that line

morrcarr67
09-03-2012, 9:30 PM
Wow! Very nice. I wish I had found that one.

Anchors
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
i'll bet you might be able to find a python barrel, somewhere. if you wanted to cross that line

I don't think I can go there haha.

Wow! Very nice. I wish I had found that one.

Thanks!

Anchors
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
So would you guys shoot it?
Or is that kind of like taking the original G.I. Joe out of the wrapper haha.

Thanks fellas :D

Now my only dilemma is whether to shoot it or not.
I mean, it isn't a mint Python, but it is still pretty old and in about 99% condition.

One thing I hate about collecting older guns lol.

gti_20ae
09-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Don't shoot it, keep it mint, people collect all kinds of Colt, especially at that condition.. I am sure there will be someone willing to pay top dollar for it. You can use that money toward a shooter grade python.

BigRich
09-03-2012, 10:59 PM

The Python rib will not match up with the front end of the top strap. I have one that someone put actual Python hammer and trigger parts in as well as cutting the back of the barrel by a half inch and rethreading to fit again. I am unsure what was going on with this revolver in it's past but it sure is a good shooter now.

Czsp-01-9mm
09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
man i want a revolver, guess my wallet is gonna have to open up, great buy looks great, happy shooting

pyromensch
09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
The Python rib will not match up with the front end of the top strap. I have one that someone put actual Python hammer and trigger parts in as well as cutting the back of the barrel by a half inch and rethreading to fit again. I am unsure what was going on with this revolver in it's past but it sure is a good shooter now.

i see your point.....gotta pic? that would be interesting

Anchors
09-03-2012, 11:39 PM
I heard on THR in the late 60s Vietnam was raging Pythons were hard to come by so some gunsmiths bought these up, hacked the top, Python barrels, matched it all up, tuned them up, and polished them.

They were referred to as "Troopons" and "Poopers". The guy on THR said there was an article about them somewhere.
I want one! (but don't want to turn this one into one).

BigRich
09-04-2012, 4:13 AM
Pyro,
The back end of a Python rib is a square cut that extends from the barrel shoulder cut. The Trooper top strap is rebated somewhat so you would have a rib that ends in midair ahead of the topstrap. I wish I had a picture. I have seen one just screwed together to see and it looks goofy. You would have to build up the front end of the topstrap and remachine it to make it look right. Easier to buy a Python.

kurac
09-04-2012, 10:04 AM
now that is cool, I really like the test target.

dfletcher
09-04-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't think I can go there haha.

Thanks!

I agree - a great OM Trooper stands on its own, they're great guns. This one is excellent. I have the same year Cobra, it's neat having the "Join the NRA" card insert.

I'm not very familiar with the Trooper's "grip chronology" so to speak. Mine are older and have the same grips as the Python except with silver medallions. The checkering panel I see most often is the older half moon pattern up top, following the lower contour of the medallion. Yours are different, the top line of the panel follows the straight pattern used on the Trooper MkIII a few years later. I'd wonder if Colt carried over a bit of the later OM Trooper grip design and used it on the MkIII. The coloring looks similar too to the MkIII also. I realize OM Trooper and Trooper MkIII grips are not interchangeable, it would be interesting to know if in designing their MkIII grips Colt borrowed the look from the later years of the OM Trooper.

I'd note Colt was making the Officers Model Match at the same time (53 to 69) using the mid-60's checkering pattern of the Python, except with a silver medallion. OMM grips are interchangeable with the OM Trooper. By using a slighly different appearance to the OM Trooper I suppose Colt may have done a bit to distinguish the look of one with the other.

RedFord150
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
So would you guys shoot it?

Yes.
I bought a Trooper Mk III that was NIB and unfired. It was my son's 21st B-Day present from me. We took it to the range and fired it within a week of his getting it. No regrets at all.
Keep the loads mild and take care of the gun.
Enjoy!