PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Handle Issues During Reassembly

HouseMaster
09-03-2012, 3:52 AM
Alright so I have recently acquired a Ruger 10/22 compact. I absolutely love the rifle and as far as shooting goes it has been amazing. I've already cleaned it a couple of times and found I have difficulty with the bolt handle. Whenever I put the damn thing back after a cleaning, I have to pull it down a little, stick it in the receiver and into the groove, and then it still feels like I have to fight the thing in order to get in into position so I can put the bolt back in.

Is there some kind of trick that can be used or is this how the stock bolt handles are? It feels like I may brake/bend the bolt handle if I continue doing it the way I am doing it so I am curious if anyone has some insight on this issue. Hope the explanation makes sense, but if there is any questions I'll do my best to answer them as best I can. Thanks!

G-forceJunkie
09-03-2012, 8:11 AM
Thats normal, it can be tricky. I have seen tools to make the reassembly easier: http://www.gunsmithertools.com/gunsmither-1022-bolt-bar/

OverUnderClays
09-04-2012, 11:39 AM
That is a great tool. Saved me frustrating minutes trying to get the bolt handle perfectly lined up with the slot on the bolt.

swifty
09-04-2012, 1:28 PM
- Put the cocking handle assembly in the receiver.
- Pull it back with a finger on the handle itself, hold it to the rear.
- Put another finger in the receiver next to the spring, pull the cocking handle back some more.
- Lay the bolt in the receiver, push down firmly on the bolt.
- Release cocking handle.

HouseMaster
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
- Put the cocking handle assembly in the receiver.
- Pull it back with a finger on the handle itself, hold it to the rear.
- Put another finger in the receiver next to the spring, pull the cocking handle back some more.
- Lay the bolt in the receiver, push down firmly on the bolt.
- Release cocking handle.

Hmmm think I may give this a try first, if not gonna have to get that tool. Thanks for all the help everyone.