PDA

View Full Version : RMR equipped pistol M&P or Glock?

mysak
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
looking to put an RMR on a pistol I'm stuck inbetween a G19 gen4 and a M&P 9c. I own a M&P vtac and love it never owned a Glock.

scglock
09-02-2012, 10:37 PM
What for? I'd probably put it on a glock 19 instead of a compact

NorCal Einstein
09-02-2012, 10:46 PM
l93CpnWwSdU

Interesting, I would have only thought to put this on a 4 inch or greater slide, but never a compact.

I guess if Costa has it, you should too, lol

mysak
09-02-2012, 10:51 PM
The question isn't what for it's why not? lol With a Glock I'd def need to get a grip reduction.

NorCal Einstein
09-02-2012, 11:00 PM
So if you own a M&P and you love it, why do you feel you need to consider a Glock now? Seems to me the obvious choice would be a M&P9 because you're already familiar with the platform and ergos of the line, and there's no need to pay more money for the grip reduction. You'll already be spending enough on the RMR and milling/install work.

Sam
09-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Why not shoot a G19 to decide if you like it?

mysak
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah that's true and i could use my vtac mags in the 9c. My vtac was a sse and the mags that came with it are standard capacity how can i cap them off?
Also what would be my light options for a compact rail mount light?

NorCal Einstein
09-02-2012, 11:46 PM
My standard cap mags were blocked off with a rivet by Valkyrie Arms. There is also a tutorial on blocking off XDM magazines which should give you an idea of how to do it on a M&P mag. I ended up just buying a bunch of 10 rounders and use my blocked off standard cap mags for drills and such.

How much stuff do you want to throw on this compact? RMR and now a rail light...do you need Crimson Trace grips as well?

InGrAM
09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Easy, you already have an M&P. NTM, it has much better ergonomics than the glock, IMO.

mysak
09-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Well the x300 won't fit and it's always nice to have the option of mounting a light. Other than that I was hoping I could find a bi-pod to throw on there.

Tjfearl
09-03-2012, 12:33 AM
the best light option for a M&Pc would be a streamlight TLR-3 or TLR-4.

CK_32
09-03-2012, 12:51 AM
19 is an amazon little pistol

P220
09-03-2012, 1:38 PM
Both are great pistol, I prefer G19.

mysak
09-03-2012, 2:41 PM
or you think I should save the money of buying a new one and just do it to my VTAC?

lonestarstate
09-03-2012, 4:27 PM
M&p if you already own it and love it.

Tjfearl
09-03-2012, 5:13 PM
You can just get one of these and you can try it out. It is super easy to remove the rear sight on an M&P, the front sight is a pain.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_202

G-Solutions
09-03-2012, 5:30 PM
looking to put an RMR on a pistol I'm stuck inbetween a G19 gen4 and a M&P 9c. I own a M&P vtac and love it never owned a Glock.

I own a RMR-upgraded Glock 19. Mine was done by TSD and I can say only positive things about this upgrade.

Here is mine: http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/images/g19-rmr_01.JPG

I fired the M&P when TSD had the first proof-of-concept built. Outstandingly accurate and just as rugged as the Glock 19 in execution of the upgrade work.

What I like about the M&P is the exchangeable backstrap: that is something that will come in handy, especially if you have smaller hands.

Two things I do not care for on the M&P are the stock trigger (no discernible reset point, unless it got fixed since) and the magazine disconnect.

Try both guns, figure out which one fits your hand and your type of usage better (the Glock is easier to conceal) and make your decision from there. The M&P can be upgraded with an Apex trigger which provides both a crisp release and a clean reset point.

Whatever you decide on, I would highly recommend TSD for the upgrade. I am a mechanical engineer by trade and their work is excellent, especially the way they match the curve of the RMR:
http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/images/g19-rmr_05.JPG

ETA - missed your second post: The M&P compact is smaller than the G19, so the concealment aspect is different. In general, I recommend staying away from ported guns for defensive applications. if you fire from a compressed position or from a point in your draw sequence when the muzzle first points forward, the porting will be right underneath your face with rather unpleasant side effects.

mooster
09-04-2012, 7:43 PM
Here's my current carry configuration of the M&P9c. Serrations, slide milling, trigger reset/smoothing and nickle boron were done by ATEI. Suppressor sights added by Bowie Tactical. I did the stippling and grip modification.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/jpmooster/RMR/IMG_4046Small.jpg

While it may seem odd to add over $1k in upgrades to a $450 gun I view it as money well spent. This gun is one element of my "insurance policy" that keeps me and my family safe - others including practicing good situational awareness and training, training and more training.

Several other folks out there have similar gun configurations done by ATEI. I know of one person who is running the 9c + RMR + Crimson Trace combination. I found that configuration too bulky and didn't like having 2 red dots in my field of view.

I'm very happy with the work done by ATEI and have sent several other guns there for work. They have done the guns for the several Magpul folks and are always coming up with nifty new innovations.

mysak
09-04-2012, 7:57 PM
Very nice set up on both the Glock and the M&P. Do you carry your M&P with the light all the time or just "night stand". If you were to do it all over again would you choose the the M&P 9c again or another platform?

mooster
09-05-2012, 4:44 AM
The light stays on the gun at all times. After taking several courses with night shoots, I've learned that a weapon-mounted light is a necessity.

I've worked with several series of guns before making the switch to the M&P series. No regrets on the 9c as it fit the bill for reliability, ergonomics and concealment. The only thing I may have changed would have been skipping the side serrations on the slide. These were done to facilitate press checks under certain circumstances/conditions. The RMR is a pretty handy surface to gain leverage so the side serrations aren't as useful.

Sam
09-05-2012, 7:15 AM
Check this useful thread out:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1763

mysak
09-05-2012, 9:13 AM
thanks for the info

gorenut
09-05-2012, 9:20 AM
Flip a coin or actually go out and try both to see which fits you better. Both are guns you can't go wrong with.

Personally I go with Glock simply because it already fits me... so the parts availability and cheaper prices benefits me. Also, Glock is much easier to completely take apart (though the M&P is pretty easy itself). I really like the M&P, but there just isn't enough for me to switch over and forking over more money.

DaveFJ80
09-05-2012, 8:59 PM
I had an RMR on my G19. Worked great and it was fun & very accurate to shoot. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Glock19/RMR/CA/4771.jpg

And one for fun :)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Glock19/RMR/Suppressor/4756.jpg

mysak
09-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm assuming with all the past tense used you no longer are running that set up, if you don't mind me asking is there a certain reason you removed/sold the pistol. Also judging from the suppressor you live in a different state?

Any input on the setup and personal experience would be appreciated.
Thank you.

theneko
09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Intersting that Costa uses the M&P with the thumb safety...

The Virus
09-06-2012, 1:25 PM
Ok, so who can mill the slide and install an RMR in SoCal?

mysak
09-06-2012, 1:39 PM
I'm assuming Costa uses a M&P with thumb safety to run his thumb on top of it like a 1911.

I don't know where in California you can get it done but I don't mind shipping it if the shop is reputable enough.