PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 12 Question

Montgomeryba
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I have my grandfather's Winchester Model 12 and hunted duck with it in the 80's before my military career. Haven't hunted much since and now want to begin hunting with it some again. My question is that it is a 1940's era shotgun with a poly choke installed (after market) - I have never fired steel shot through it and am curious if steel shot will harm the gun or poly choke. Does anyone know or have experience with this? Its not my full-time hunter but I would like to continue using it from time to time if it can handle steel shoot. Thanks for the help!

.300 Weatherby Mag
09-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I have my grandfather's Winchester Model 12 and hunted duck with it in the 80's before my military career. Haven't hunted much since and now want to begin hunting with it some again. My question is that it is a 1940's era shotgun with a poly choke installed (after market) - I have never fired steel shot through it and am curious if steel shot will harm the gun or poly choke. Does anyone know or have experience with this? Its not my full-time hunter but I would like to continue using it from time to time if it can handle steel shoot. Thanks for the help!

Do not shoot steel in your model 12... The barrels weren't designed for it.. If you want to shoot waterfowl with it, there are other non-toxic alternatives available...

Montgomeryba
09-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks, I thought I had heard something to that effect before - I really appreciate your letting me know. Now I have to go track down a good alternative, any ideas on that? Thanks again.

.300 Weatherby Mag
09-03-2012, 1:28 AM
Thanks, I thought I had heard something to that effect before - I really appreciate your letting me know. Now I have to go track down a good alternative, any ideas on that? Thanks again.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680560/hevi-shot-classic-doubles-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz-4-non-toxic-hevi-shot-box-of-10