PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you carry an expensive gun?

Javi
09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I've been thumbing through an old "American Handgunner" magazine from 2010 and the Wilson Combat-"Ultralight Carry" is their featured gun:

http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Wilson-combat-ultra-light-carry-1911-handgun.jpg

Not too long ago, I would never think of carrying something over $1,000. Maybe a little lower than that(a $900 Sig). Now, I think if I shoot a Sig or a production/semi-prod./custom 1911 really well, it's been dead nuts reliable, and conceals well I would probably add it to the ccw list.

I should probably ask my uncle, who is a Los Angeles sherrif, about the whole evidence locker thing. I've heard it could be held from two months to two years. If I had a firearm like that specific W.C., I wouldn't worry much about holster wear & scratches. I might cry a bit if it would be rusting away in a locker, though :o I'm wondering if anyone here carries an expensive gun or for anyone that doesn't carry; Would you with a W.C., Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc.? Actually, this should apply to a home defense gun as well.

LAKings22
09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
My brother in law has a ccw (fresno) he just picked up a Springfield TRP $2k total, that's going to be his new carry when he adds it. If I had a CCW which is not going to happen anytime soon (I'm in LA) I would have no problem carrying an expensive gun.

skyscraper
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Carry the gun you trust and shoot the best regardless of price. What does an evidence locker matter if it was a righteous shot and you are still alive?

cal3gunner
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM

L84CABO
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I never ever understand this mentality.

If the police confiscate my $3K Wilson Combat CQB after it just saved my life, they can keep the damn thing! The gun served it's purpose and it will have been the best $3K I ever spent. And I'll go right out and order another one.

How much is your life or the life of your family worth?

Carry what you trust and what is most reliable. Stop worrying about the damn money. It's your life man! :rolleyes:

Buddhabelly
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM

If the police confiscate my $3K Wilson Combat CQB after it just saved my life, they can keep the damn thing! The gun served it's purpose and it will have been the best $3K I ever spent. And I'll go right out and order another one.

Carry what you trust and what is most reliable. Stop worrying about the damn money. It's your life man! :rolleyes:

+10000

Q619
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I haven't died before but I can picture it being much worse than losing a gun....that can be replaced. I cc my Brown SF and and SOMEtimes my Wilson CQB when wardrobe allows. Guns are meant to be used and enjoyed.

jlbflyboy172
09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
On the other hand, some will cheap out on gun and holster and trust their life and family to it. I don't understand that mentality at all either.

Like L84CABO said, $2-3K is chump change if you still are alive.

Train well on shooting, personal non-shooting defense and situational awareness and do everything you can to avoid bad situations and the greater likelihood is that your choice weapon will serve you well for all or most of your life and you will never have to deploy it in a self-defense situation. The chances are extremely low. Unfortunately, that information causes some to compromise in a number of areas.

LAKings22
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM

I agree 100%

Javi
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM

I like the way you think :) I did find an old thread in the LTC forum with a Google search but I wanted to see what guys today think. I think in another forum thread, someone mentioned to get a less-expensive gun to carry(Glock, for example) since you may be losing it for a while.

Expect to never get your gun back. You may get it back one day but maybe not. Do not buy expensive guns for the street. Buy yourself a nice sporting gun if you want a nice gun. Keep your street guns basic. The factory Model 10 Smith and the GI 45 have done a lot of work over the years and aren't fancy. "

ArkinDomino
09-02-2012, 10:51 PM
If I could ccw I would carry an m&p9. I would carry a fancy Nighthawk 1911 on cold days when I would wear a coat.

BradleyAbrams
09-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I tried carrying this in my shoulder holster, but it was too heavy..:cool:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/10-1.jpg

--

jessegpresley
09-02-2012, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't carry anything I own more than $1k personally.

jonzer77
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
On the other hand, some will cheap out on gun and holster and trust their life and family to it. I don't understand that mentality at all either.

Like L84CABO said, $2-3K is chump change if you still are alive.

Train well on shooting, personal non-shooting defense and situational awareness and do everything you can to avoid bad situations and the greater likelihood is that your choice weapon will serve you well for all or most of your life and you will never have to deploy it in a self-defense situation. The chances are extremely low. Unfortunately, that information causes some to compromise in a number of areas.

If I was able to get a CCW then I would carry my Colt Combat Commander but there are plenty of plenty of cheap guns like glocks that you could trust your life to. You don't have to spend 2-3k on a carry gun but I do agree with using the gun you are comfortable with and not worrying about it sitting in a evidence locker. If I survive and my gun goes in a locker......well it served its purpose.

gorenut
09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I understand 3k is very little compared to one's life and possible lawyer fees, but if you can do the job with a gun that costs a fraction of an expensive custom, I say why not? Chances are, you'll never use it and there'll be a bigger probability the gun will get damaged rather than you using it in a life or death situation. Now, if the only gun you can operate is a $3000 gun, go right ahead and be safe.

jessegpresley
09-02-2012, 11:31 PM

The false logic you are following is that an expensive gun will protect you better than a $600 Glock or a $300 Model 10 Smith & Wesson.

jm13690
09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
If I had a CCW it would be the most reliable gun I had. Price would not be the issue.

G-Man WC
09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
:thumbsup:The false logic you are following is that an expensive gun will protect you better than a $600 Glock or a $300 Model 10 Smith & Wesson.

The Voice of Reason :thumbsup:

NorCal Einstein
09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
If I had a CCW it would be the most reliable gun I had. Price would not be the issue.

Would totally agree with this. I might go out there and say most of us waste more than 3-4k throughout the course of a year on random stuff like gadgets, other hobbies, fancy meals, etc. If a high dollar pistol was locked up indefinitely, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

psango
09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I carry a PM-9 not not cheap but not expensive. I would not carry something that cannot be replaced.

If you have to use it, and if you get it back it will be a long time and have knocked around the evidence locker for a long time. Most that I have seen are not in very good shape when they are done with them.

JTROKS
09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd rather carry my Glock 23 or 27 in case I get into a situation that I have to use deadly force (God forbids) and I may not see that gun again for it will be used as evidence to prove the justifiable shooting. I'll miss the gun, but it's a tool that served it's purpose. I don't have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, but I'd be glad to keep my Sig TTT or Colt inside the safe.

Rover
09-03-2012, 12:08 AM
There are lots of great fighting guns for $500, so unlike helmets the "how much is your life worth?" argument doesn't hold water. It's a great time to be a gun owner, almost too many reliable guns out there, makes it tough to pick just 1 to carry.

I'd absolutely consider WC, Ed Brown, Turnbull, top of the line Colt etc or a Dan Wesson 357 carry gun, if I were looking for a full size. I spend much, much more than any of them cost on ammo every year, and who knows how much I spend on all the other gun related expenses just to have some fun on a Sunday. The gun is always the cheap part. My defensive ammo is about $1.00/round, and I make a point to put 100 rounds through each of my carry guns every month. That's $3600/year just in hollow points, not to mention all the plinking ammo I burn through training with the 3 amigos.

People wear $50,000 watches out to dinner that attract would be robbers and murderers, why not carry a $4000 gun to protect yourself from one?

jonzer77
09-03-2012, 12:16 AM
There are lots of great fighting guns for $500, so unlike helmets the "how much is your life worth?" argument doesn't hold water. It's a great time to be a gun owner, almost too many reliable guns out there, makes it tough to pick just 1 to carry.

I'd absolutely consider WC, Ed Brown, Turnbull, top of the line Colt etc or a Dan Wesson 357 carry gun, if I were looking for a full size. I spend much, much more than any of them cost on ammo every year, and who knows how much I spend on all the other gun related expenses just to have some fun on a Sunday. The gun is always the cheap part. My defensive ammo is about $1.00/round, and I make a point to put 100 rounds through each of my carry guns every month. That's $3600/year just in hollow points, not to mention all the plinking ammo I burn through training with the 3 amigos.

People wear $50,000 watches out to dinner that attract would be robbers and murderers, why not carry a $4000 gun to protect yourself from one?

Time to start reloading, then you could buy even more guns with the money saved :)

You can make defense ammo that replicates your defensive ammo for practice for about .25/round and then save the expensive stuff for home defense.

10mm
09-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Glock 20 is the most expensive I own. Maybe later a Five-Seven when I could afford it.

wash
09-03-2012, 12:46 AM
If I ever get an LTC, this is going on it:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=166563&stc=1&d=1346113936

skyscraper
09-03-2012, 1:07 AM
The false logic you are following is that an expensive gun will protect you better than a $600 Glock or a $300 Model 10 Smith & Wesson.

Where did his post say that? Im not seeing it.

ChaneRZ
09-03-2012, 1:31 AM
If I were to carry, I'd bring my Colt 1911.

anymoose
09-03-2012, 1:33 AM

false logic isnt the problem, reading comprehension is. your quoted post didnt say that expensive guns are inherently better, it said that you should use the gun you know and trust. if you know and trust your wilson cqb more than your keltec, the expensive gun will be a better gun for your protection.

to answer the OP - i dont have a ccw, but my kimber 1911 is usually closer to me than any other pistol and its my most expensive.

davbog44
09-03-2012, 4:52 AM
There are certain things a man owns that are just personal, and the choice of a sidearm (concealed or otherwise) is to me a very personal one. In some ways it's like finding that perfect pair of boots that just feel right on your feet, our that perfect chair for your den.

I think when you choose a carry gun, at least your edc, you carry what you really trust and feel comfortable with, and if it's all that, it will also be something you shoot well.

For me, it's my HK P2000 SK. Not the cheapest, but not as pricey as an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat 1911. But God forbid you are ever involved in a deadly force incident, whether or not you will ever get your gun back has got to be way down on the list of priorities.

InGrAM
09-03-2012, 6:08 AM
I would rather carry a $1500+ firearm than one that has sentimental value. Which is why I quit carrying my 1967 LW-Commander and will start carrying my new V-Bob.

But my main CC gun is right around $350 brand new so I don't worry too much about it.

Q619
09-03-2012, 6:22 AM
Keep it simple: train like you fight. If you shoot your high dollar gun, CARRY that same gun. Who cares if you lose it after having the need to use it. In times of high stress, muscle memory kicks in. You want to be at your best. You'll have bigger problems than your gun afterwards.

Shenaniguns
09-03-2012, 7:17 AM

You don't get the point, if he is most proficient with the $3k 1911 than that would be the best gun for him to carry. He may not shoot what you suggest as well.

kentactic
09-03-2012, 7:41 AM
I only carry a Ruger single-six .22 because i dont want to be out much money on a lowsy little life changing event.

44fred
09-03-2012, 8:04 AM
Use what works best for you within your realistic budget, period.

Obviously we have varied opinions based on several criteria, cost being one of them. A 3k+ gun may be beyond ones comprehension just as much as a $500.00 Glock is to others on the other side of the income scale. Most don't have the luxury to think about those high numbers and act accordingly.

steelholder
09-03-2012, 8:05 AM
I've been thumbing through an old "American Handgunner" magazine from 2010 and the Wilson Combat-"Ultralight Carry" is their featured gun:

http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Wilson-combat-ultra-light-carry-1911-handgun.jpg

Not too long ago, I would never think of carrying something over $1,000. Maybe a little lower than that(a $900 Sig). Now, I think if I shoot a Sig or a production/semi-prod./custom 1911 really well, it's been dead nuts reliable, and conceals well I would probably add it to the ccw list.

I should probably ask my uncle, who is a Los Angeles sherrif, about the whole evidence locker thing. I've heard it could be held from two months to two years. If I had a firearm like that specific W.C., I wouldn't worry much about holster wear & scratches. I might cry a bit if it would be rusting away in a locker, though :o I'm wondering if anyone here carries an expensive gun or for anyone that doesn't carry; Would you with a W.C., Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc.? Actually, this should apply to a home defense gun as well.
How ironic I've been hunting for that same exact magazine for the past few days, I've been having an itch to read about that Wilson, and there you post it... I would carry it if I could.

glockman19
09-03-2012, 8:14 AM
My everyday carry is a S&W 442/642...I have two just in case one is lost, stolen or confiscated. I also carry a Glock 26 and Kimber Ultra Raptor II...least not to forget teh Bersa Thunder in .380.

I rarely carry the nicer more expensive Ultra Raptor.

SilverTauron
09-03-2012, 8:36 AM
Why not carry an expensive gun?

Its akin to buying an expensive car and never driving it. It defeats the entire point of the exercise. Remember, the odds of a self defense incident happening for most of us is very low, thankfully. The odds of actually having to pull the trigger are lower than that very tiny number. It makes more sense to carry a nice $3000 gun, than to buy it and let it sit in the safe for all time. You may as well park the money in an investment account and get a return in that case.

As far as police custody goes, this is a local factor very dependent on the area of the incident in question. Some law enforcement areas won't take the citizen's gun at all if the situation clearly is that of self defense. Other ,more liberal places like Massachusetts and New York State will take ALL of your weapons should any of them be used in personal defense. For claritys sake, this means the cops won't just take the $500 Glock you shot the perp with but also the $3000 safe queen 1911 and the rest of the contents in your gun safe at home , leaving you completely disarmed for the duration.

The justification for that being your ownership permits for the gun collection are temporarily revoked due to being investigated for a homicide, thus the government has the legal authority to take your entire collection away until the case is resolved and your ownership permits are restored,months or years in the future.If the police are going to seize everything you have anyway during an investigation, may as well carry the good stuff.;)

Note that this can also happen if there's doubt regarding the case details. A LEO posted on a different forum about a self-defense incident he investigated where a homeowner in pajamas shot a home invader with a .380, and even though the citizen claimed 3 shots were fired only two shell casings were recovered. A search warrant was obtained to acquire the rest of the defenders' pistol collection for ballistic testing so as to verify they weren't used in the incident. This can be a problem if the owner has multiple weapons chambered in the same caliber.

Then we have the legal aspect also. Lawyers aren't cheap, and assuming things get ugly in court if you don't lose the $3000 Les Baer to the evidence, you'll be losing it to the pawnbroker to fund your legal defense.

At the end of the day its a great gun, but its still a piece of property. Id rather lose a $3000 gun to a police evidence locker or some greedy cop's personal collection than to have left it in the safe for decades because I was too chicken to actually carry the thing.

DRAB_81
09-03-2012, 8:46 AM
I say carry whatever you're most proficient & confident with, regardless of cost. I have absolutely zero plans of buying anything more expensive than a Glock, but if I owned a pistol that cost me $2k+ (or even $1k for that matter), it would never see the inside of a holster.

Legasat
09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
For me, there would be no need to carry an expensive gun. For around $500 you could get Glock, XD, M&P, and any number of revolvers. These are generally as reliable as can be made. Practice with your choice of the above, and you are good to go.

If all I had was a Wilson Combat, I would surely carry it, or if it was really that much more reliable, that would be a different story.

But as reliable as $500 can buy you these days, I just don't see the need.

Javi
09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
How ironic I've been hunting for that same exact magazine for the past few days, I've been having an itch to read about that Wilson, and there you post it... I would carry it if I could.

:D Here is the digital copy:
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJA10/?page=52

Thanks for the replies, guys.

JTROKS
09-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I say carry whatever you're most proficient & confident with, regardless of cost. I have absolutely zero plans of buying anything more expensive than a Glock, but if I owned a pistol that cost me $2k+ (or even $1k for that matter), it would never see the inside of a holster.

There you go! I agree with you 100%. It all boils down to who's got the biggest toys and big bank roll.;).

feelgood
09-03-2012, 5:37 PM
IMO, price should not be a factor when you carry. It's how reliable, and how familiar you are with your piece. The most important is your shot placement when you draw your pistol..

DRAB_81
09-03-2012, 6:58 PM
I would not carry a family heirloom or somthing i couldent replace, but I see no problem with carrying a 3000$ + hand gun. People drive half a million dollar cars now a days and eat at restaurants that are stupid expensive.

Also nothing wrong with a glock, xd, m&p, ect as a ccw.

Carry the one your most proficient with.

I agree for the most part, but I don't know anyone that drives a $500,000.00 car. However, I do know a guy that takes his wife out to a $250 a plate Kobe Steak dinner once a year. I'm sure this will come off REALLY arrogant, but I'd be willing to bet I can outshoot most $3k pistol owners with my peasant gun (GEN 4 G17), either at a tactical class or USPSA match.

My main point is this: If a guy went through $3K worth of training, instead of spending $3K on a Custom 1911, he'd probably change his mind about what he's carrying. If the same guy can afford both, and still thinks its the best choice, then have at it. I just think a lot of people invest more into hardware than software, which is really a shame.

General
09-03-2012, 7:23 PM
Sometimes I carry $3,000 gun and $700 gun and a $600 gun plus $150 in ammo along with $500 dollar a year insurance. Also $400 in holsters in my $30,000 truck going to my $300,000 dollar house to watch my $2000 TV and eat $10 steaks with $7 beer. Then I'll smoke a $10 cigar. AaHH life is good.

9mmepiphany
09-03-2012, 8:11 PM
Really the last thing that should enter the decision of which gun to carry for defensive purposes is the replacement cost.

When I started in LE, the department issued a S&W M-15. But I chose to carry a Colt Python, which has had it's action tuned, because it allowed me to shoot so much better...plus it was a .357Magnum.

Later I carried a H&K P7 because I considered it one of the inherently safest guns for the purpose on the market.

I often use a pricey custom built 1911 for training classes and shooting competition...it would seem silly to not shoot it after the care that went into building it. I've also carried it for CCW when the weather makes heavier clothing appropriate

DuknBucks
09-03-2012, 8:22 PM
I tried carrying this in my shoulder holster, but it was too heavy..:cool:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/10-1.jpg

--

AWESOME! i carry the shorter defender model.... $12oo

Bug Splat
09-03-2012, 9:18 PM
Expensive or not, the first question I'm asking the cop as they zip up the body bag is "when do I get my gun back?" Its MY gun and I want it back damn it! No way I'm not getting it back.

I'd never carry an expensive gun. I carry pistols that I don't mind banging up or scratching. If I scratched a $2000 1911 i'd never forgive myself. Like said before there are countless sub-$1000 guns that are very reliable. I see no need to carry something more expensive but if someone wants to carry a $2000+ gun thats fine by me. Not my gun, not my problem.

Javi
09-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't own any 1911 yet but I'm leaning towards a Dan Wesson or one of the custom makers as a first. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't mind holster wear at all(Don't hold me to that! I'd have to wait n' see :) ) and I'd love to put it through it's paces in a defensive class.

mbt
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
When the cops take ur gun and keep it, would u feel good about giving ur $3000 to a cop forever? Hi Point 4 LIfe!

jonzer77
09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
When the cops take ur gun and keep it, would u feel good about giving ur $3000 to a cop forever? Hi Point 4 LIfe!

I like to think my life is worth more then $3000 :)

yamaha415
09-04-2012, 1:15 PM
For all the jabs at the high dollar guns compared to the more cost effective guns just seem like people are missing the big picture of the responsibility ccw holders have.
If all handguns cost $100 would you cost effective guys still have a hard on for the guns you suggest are good enough to carry. Or would you say you should pick the gun you shoot the best and are most comfortable with? I'm guessing the second option.
But, why is it that once real dollars get assigned to the guns you are convinced that people should pick a gun that cost less that they potentially cant shoot as well for their ccw?
I understand not everyone has it in the cards to buy a 3k ccw gun, but for those that do if that's the gun they shoot the best why not carry it. I mean its only their life on the line. I also understand that every person preference is different and they might very well shoot that glock more comfortably and accurately than a 3k+ gun.
I would carry whatever i shot the best and was most comfortable with that was in my budget. If it ever ended up in a police locker that's small compared to getting to see the sun come up the next day.

RedFord150
09-04-2012, 3:12 PM
I only carry a Ruger single-six .22 because i dont want to be out much money on a lowsy little life changing event.

That Ruger is worth some $. You should switch over to the Heritage Rough Rider ;-).

deadcoyote
09-04-2012, 3:14 PM
I carry a Glock and it's the most expensive handgun I own. Of course I just own a couple of Glocks and some C&R pistols. But, in perspective, I do carry the most expensive gun I own.

9mmepiphany
09-04-2012, 3:20 PM
I would carry whatever i shot the best and was most comfortable with that was in my budget. If it ever ended up in a police locker that's small compared to getting to see the sun come up the next day.
That is really the bottom line...I've always carried the gun that I've proven to myself that I shoot the best. Sometimes...many really...it wasn't the best feeling gun in my hand, but there is very little argument when you can look at a timer and score a target

Having been the officer who has taken guns into evidence, from both other officers and other citizens...believe me, the last thing on their minds at that moment is the value of their gun. What they usually express is their relief at having survived or they are dealing with the adrenaline dump.

I've also dealt with critical incident survivors, days after, and gun value still isn't an issue

robert101
09-04-2012, 3:37 PM
Not all my guns are tools. When I was allowed to CCW in Florida my "tool" of choice was a Glock 27. Because it fit my definition of what I needed for carry being light, reliable, durable, accurate enough. I have more expensive 1911's that I chose not to carry for various reasons. Yep, some of my guns are safe queens but my CCW weapon is a defensive tool. No more and no less. No sentimental attachment really.