PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk or Vaquero?

hundreddollarman
09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm interested in picking up a wheel gun for my collection and am undecided between the Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero. Can someone break down the differences and pros/cons of each?

Thanks in advance and happy shooting this holiday weekend.

Snoopy47
09-02-2012, 12:46 PM
honestly, it doesn't matter, whatever one you get next the other will follow behind soon enough.

GunDog
09-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Well for one thing, the Blackhawk has adjustable sights whereas the Vaquero has fixed sights.

guns4life
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I just went through this(started a thread a few days ago).http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=614034

I ended up going with the Ruger new model blackhawk convertible in .45C/.45ACP

1. convertible chambers is a win
2. adjustable sights
3. I liked the heft of the Blackhawk frame, it feels like a good chunk of steel in your hand
4. grip...I liked the blackhawk better

the only thing I liked about the vaquero was the classic design, it feels "original"...more like a real cowboy gun, if that matters.

Sutcliffe
09-02-2012, 1:08 PM
The original Vaquero was a Blackhawk with fixed sights. The New Vaquero is built on the smaller frame(comparable to a Colt SAA).
Adjustable sights will give you better utility if you like to experiment with different loads.

Dutch Henry
09-02-2012, 1:18 PM
Don't forget to look at the Bisley Models. If I were in the market for a s. a. revolver, I would opt for one.

Javi
09-02-2012, 1:31 PM
I haven't aimed down the sights of a Vaquro in a while. Are they the same as any other model p? Look down the sights of the Vaquero and see if you can live with them. Adjustability aside, the blackhawk should be much easier to line up the sights with a target. You will have more day-light through those than a very narrow rear notch with a same colored blade. I was comparing the two a while back and I decided that a more authentic look was important to me. I think I would still get a blackhawk down the road.

Squid
09-02-2012, 6:11 PM
overall a stronger gun....

so if you are gonna be shooting mean loads get the Blackhawk.

You can also get cheap Hogue grips for Blackhawk, not sure about V.

bballwizard05
09-02-2012, 6:18 PM
My father recently got a Vaquero in 45LC. It certainly feels like a sturdy gun in the hand, so no worries there. Shooting that giant slug out of that near perfect colt clone was one of my more favorable shooting memories. I look forward to many range trips with that thing. It was a blast to shoot, and the fixed sights really weren't as much of an issue as I thought they may be (I shoot a K-38 with adjustable sights) so they are quite different, but also functional.

For my dad (huuuuuge fan of Westerns) the authentic look was the most important. But the vaquero is a very nice pistol, I'm sure the blackhawk is too (I've only shot the 22 version), but for our purposes the vaquero was better, and we love it.

orangeusa
09-02-2012, 6:28 PM
I never liked the grip on the Bisley. At all.

Comparing a Vaquero (SAA clone) to a Blackhawk is not really fair. Blackhawk is much more versatile - being able to shoot .45 ACP (30-35 cents a round) vs 45LC ($1.00 a round) with just a cylinder change.

Also, the 45LC is like other older rounds - 15000 PSI - one of the lowest centerfire SAAMI pressures (equiv to blackpowder pressures).

But, I have a SAA clone - Beretta/Uberti Stampede and if I ignore the crazy ammo price, I really enjoy shooting it. But it's a low and slow round. And dang good looking, just like the Vaquero.

bballwizard05
09-02-2012, 6:34 PM
I never liked the grip on the Bisley. At all.

Comparing a Vaquero (SAA clone) to a Blackhawk is not really fair. Blackhawk is much more versatile - being able to shoot .45 ACP (30-35 cents a round) vs 45LC ($1.00 a round) with just a cylinder change.

Also, the 45LC is like other older rounds - 15000 PSI - one of the lowest centerfire SAAMI pressures (equiv to blackpowder pressures).

But, I have a SAA clone - Beretta/Uberti Stampede and if I ignore the crazy ammo price, I really enjoy shooting it. But it's a low and slow round. And dang good looking, just like the Vaquero.

Well, they can be had a little cheaper, but your point that they are still expensive is true. I've found them for around .60 a shot and with a place like Grafs.com you just pay a handling fee of $5 regardless of how much you get. While the lower pressure is a drawback for certain uses, it also makes it more enjoyable to share that pistol experience with other shooters who may not want a huge kick. In our circumstances, it is not a defense weapon, therefore it's ballistics are of less concern.

orangeusa
09-02-2012, 6:38 PM
Yeah, I kinda came in with 'good gosh - the Blackhawk' and then realized how much fun the SAA 45LC clones are... lolz.

Nothing really beats introducing a 'Cowboy' gun to non-gun owners. They all love the looks. And for some reason is not as 'scary'.. go figure.

Javi
09-02-2012, 6:50 PM
I bought one box of. 38spl and I hated the retail price haha. I have dies for. 357/.38spl and my next revolver will probably be. 45 colt since I won't have to worry about ammo cost as much.

orangeusa
09-02-2012, 7:08 PM
Smug reloaders.. I'm jealous.. :)

guns4life
09-02-2012, 7:11 PM

And to think I was about to sell my reloading setup just last week, I bought the blackhawk and have since changed my mind. :)

bill_k_lopez
09-02-2012, 7:28 PM
I have both,

1) fixed sights vs adjustable sights
2) the hammers are different
3) front sight blade is rounded on the Vaquero
4) the trigger guard is rounded on the Vaquero, squared on the blackhawk
5) fluted cylinder on the Vaquero

Both guns are based on the same frame - so grips are interchangeable.

Here is a picture of my 2 super blackhawks and a stock vaquero picture (that looks just like mine)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff509/bill_k_lopez/blackhawks.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/pistols/vaquero/4329.jpg

Horton Fenty
09-02-2012, 7:37 PM
The original Vaquero was a Blackhawk with fixed sights. The New Vaquero is built on the smaller frame(comparable to a Colt SAA).
Adjustable sights will give you better utility if you like to experiment with different loads.

Don't forget the new flattop Blackhawks are midsize frame like the new Vaquero's.

Javi
09-02-2012, 8:30 PM

Hahah! I'm not exactly a reloader yet :D I have a reloading kit sitting in my closet waiting for a bench to be built. Just missing a pair of calipers & I'm ready to roll! It's going to be really nice to not have to worry about ammo prices, for the most part. Go get a press!

pyromensch
09-02-2012, 9:59 PM
I just went through this(started a thread a few days ago).http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=614034

I ended up going with the Ruger new model blackhawk convertible in .45C/.45ACP

1. convertible chambers is a win
2. adjustable sights
3. I liked the heft of the Blackhawk frame, it feels like a good chunk of steel in your hand
4. grip...I liked the blackhawk better

the only thing I liked about the vaquero was the classic design, it feels "original"...more like a real cowboy gun, if that matters.

like the idea, of the covertible cylinders, but i bought the original vaquero, to load up the 45LC, to magnum velocities.

and this is your answer.