PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield Vs. LC9

P5Ret
09-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Has anyone handled both? How does the grip on the M&P compare to the LC9? I have only been able to get my hands on the LC9, and it was a bit thin for my liking. Hoping someone has had the chance to handle both, and can shed some light on this for me.

cpatbay
09-02-2012, 1:28 PM
M&P Shield is not available in CA yet. Heard first batch coming in Oct.

RollingCode3
09-02-2012, 1:31 PM
Had the LC9 ans sold it after 50 rounds. picking up the Shield this Tuesday.

P5Ret
09-02-2012, 1:40 PM

I just figured/hoped someone may have made a trip into "Free America" and gotten to handle one.

banacek
09-02-2012, 1:48 PM
Has anyone handled both? How does the grip on the M&P compare to the LC9? I have only been able to get my hands on the LC9, and it was a bit thin for my liking. Hoping someone has had the chance to handle both, and can shed some light on this for me.

I have handled both in the LGS, shot neither. But I do own the LCP380, and I consider it very similar to the LC9, just a smaller version. For me, the grip and overall feel of the Shield is much better, and plan on picking one up later this year for my wife. As stated before, they are anticipated to be in your local CA gun shops later this year.

cnj
09-02-2012, 1:53 PM
The M&P Shield is already on the CA. Approved list. Here is the actual entry as it reads:
"M&P9 Shield (Blk) SKU 187021 / Stainless Steel; Polymer"
It was added 7/2/2012. Only trouble is finding one.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 2:09 PM
How did it get added to the list? Don't the new guns need a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect?

InGrAM
09-02-2012, 2:11 PM
How did it get added to the list? Don't the new guns need a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_780153_-1_757781_757781_image

Bottom of the page. It has a ugly *** LCI and magazine disconnect.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 2:14 PM
Yeah nvm. I just checks... I hate this state. Maybe we can SSE the actual shield. I personally feel that LCIs make guns less reliable. California neutered guns don't seem reliable to me because they were not designed to be and work that way from the ground up.

ArkinDomino
09-02-2012, 3:55 PM
A few guys have already SSE'd the shield and it also seems like some (at least one guy) were lucky enough to DROS a regular non-CA version (good for him). I also believe there have been a couple guys on here that have also found CA versions in very short supply. My search continues...

skosh69
09-02-2012, 4:14 PM

Really? Then I wonder what it was that I DROS'd on 7/28/12??? Could it be the gun in the pic below???

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/IMG_0628.jpg

Yep, that'd be my hand holding what appears to be a Shield...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/IMG_0625.jpg

I handled an LC9 once, didn't like it, especially how the bottom rear of slide had sharp edges that if you had a high grip, would seem to dig into the web of your hand.

I vote Shield, it's comfortable and shoots like a dream!

O/P, if you want to shoot my Shield, lemme know and we can arrange a meet up!

DRAB_81
09-02-2012, 4:26 PM
Really? Then I wonder what it was I bought about a month ago???

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/IMG_0628.jpg

Yep, that'd be my hand holding what appears to be a Shield...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/IMG_0625.jpg

I handled an LC9 once, didn't like it, especially how the bottom rear of slide had sharp edges that if you had a high grip, would seem to dig into the web of your hand.

I vote Shield, it's comfortable and shoots like a dream!

What he said ^^^...

I picked mine up last week. After handling both, the Shield wins this one hands down. It's not really even fair to compare them.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/3214B1AC-9077-4427-94AE-CE82EDB76A92-13231-0000145723C757A5.jpg

Mike-4
09-02-2012, 4:49 PM
I'm really enjoy my Shield (9mm). I don't have anything negative to say about it. Probably the best CCW gun I've purchased. S&W did a great job on this.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n95/simpleman11580/24DC0EF9-E131-4CD4-9B99-5FA153009337-25177-0000110D63A8D0FD.jpg

P5Ret
09-02-2012, 4:59 PM
Thanks you, those are the response I was hoping to hear, but it brings up yet another question did you special order and SSE them or did you find them somewhere? Been to a handful of stores and no one seemed to have any info, or at least useful info. I still may have to talk my wife into a Reno day trip see if I can check one out though.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 5:15 PM
I was lucky enough to walk into Canyon Sports in Martinez and they had one on the shelf. Give them a call 925-229-4867.

unamused
09-02-2012, 5:21 PM
dang it!! I just picked up a buckmark yesterday... I guess I'll have to wait 30 days before I start a shield dros. I didnt realize they were already reaching dealers in CA.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 5:29 PM
Skosh did they do an SSE for the one you bought?

Euphoria526
09-02-2012, 5:36 PM
How much is the shield Msrp?

DRAB_81
09-02-2012, 5:45 PM
$449
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

desertjosh
09-02-2012, 5:46 PM
How much is the shield Msrp?

I don't know but Turners has them on pre-order for $399. Thet say they will have them in October.

desertjosh
09-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Good question OP. I was wondering the same thing myself but I can't get my hands on a M&P in San Diego to see how it feels and maybe try it out. Sucks lol

Euphoria526
09-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Hmm very nice.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 6:03 PM
Skosh did they do an SSE for the one you bought?

No SSE, Canyon Sports just happen to get one in...I paid "gasp" $550 OTD, but it was worth it!

Heiko
09-02-2012, 6:03 PM
Just about anything is better than a LC9. Terrible feel and even worse trigger.

The Shield looks like a nice piece for a reasonable price; possibly even a "can't lose" purchase.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 6:13 PM
No SSE, Canyon Sports just happen to get one in...I paid "gasp" $550 OTD, but it was worth it!

Well it wasn't on the list at the time you bought it and it wasn't the version that's on the list now... they technically broke the law but I know gun stores that sell guns off list. It's really impossible to enforce. You got lucky though, they might not do that forever.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 6:18 PM
Well it wasn't on the list at the time you bought it and it wasn't the version that's on the list now... they technically broke the law but I know gun stores that sell guns off list. It's really impossible to enforce. You got lucky though, they might not do that forever.

No..It made the list on 7/12/12...I bought on 7/28/12.

DRAB_81
09-02-2012, 6:21 PM

Mine wasn't SSE'd either. Just because the non-CA compliant model was sold in CA, without SSE, doesn't mean the transaction was illegal. There are plenty of people in CA that are exempt from the restrictions of the roster.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 6:29 PM
Just to clear any confusion...My Shield was not SSE'd, was bought after it made the CA Roster and I am not a LEO.

Only thing that my shop could be considered guilty of is selling my Shield to me for $30 over MSRP, which happens to alot of items when they first hit the streets in low numbers and high demand.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 6:34 PM
Just to clear any confusion...My Shield was not SSE'd, was bought after it made the CA Roster and I am not a LEO.

Only thing that my shop could be considered guilty of is selling my Shield to me for $30 over MSRP, which happens to alot of items when they first hit the streets in low numbers and high demand.

The model you bought was not the CA approved version. The CA approved version has the pop up loaded chamber indicator.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 6:47 PM
The model you bought was not the CA approved version. The CA approved version has the pop up loaded chamber indicator.

According to the S&W website, no it's not, but none of my other counterparts that have their Shields have the "rooster comb" either. Who's fault is that?

Look, according to your screenname, your a security guard or rent a cop as I call them...are you going to try and bust us for having as you call it, non compliant Shields? What Safeway do you patrol so that I can avoid that store all together....

Can't you just be happy for the rest of us that got one? No, you have to keep pushing and pushing. Give it a rest man and get the *&^@ off my back about whether or not my Shield is fricken legal or not...OK!!!

I bought it fair and square...do I have to show you my reciept???

DRAB_81
09-02-2012, 7:00 PM

I hate to break to you, but he's right. I would never have busted your chops about it, nor would I have even asked how you got it, but again he's right. The roster approved model has that gnarly LCI & mag disconnect, the model you have does not. The CA version hasn't even been released yet.

safewaysecurity
09-02-2012, 7:01 PM
According to the S&W website, no it's not, but none of my other counterparts that have their Shields have the "rooster comb" either. Who's fault is that?

Look, according to your screenname, your a security guard or rent a cop as I call them...are you going to try and bust us for having as you call it, non compliant Shields? What Safeway do you patrol so that I can avoid that store all together....

Can't you just be happy for the rest of us that got one? No, you have to keep pushing and pushing. Give it a rest man and get the *&^@ off my back about whether or not my Shield is fricken legal or not...OK!!!

To the contrary I'm actually happy for you. I've had a dealer sell a non-roster gun as well. I'm trying to let you know that you were lucky because the version you go is the non-neutered version that is not on the list. The CA DOJ lists this as the approved shield on their site

M&P9 Shield (Blk) SKU 187021 / Stainless Steel; Polymer

This is the model on the S&W site that matches that.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_812066_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Notice the loaded chamber indicator. I don't know why you're getting mad at me. I'm letting you know that you're lucky and I congratulate you. And I don't work as private security or at safeway, it's just a name lol.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 7:02 PM
I hate to break to you, but he's right. I would never have busted your chops about it, nor would I have even asked how you got it, but again he's right. The roster approved model has that gnarly LCI & mag disconnect, the model you have does not. The CA version hasn't even been released yet.

You're right brother and I apologize to my fellow forum members and especially to SafewaySecurity for my rant.

Jonb.
09-02-2012, 7:52 PM
The Shield is better than a Ruger?!!? Where's exelscior!?

sirgiles
09-02-2012, 8:42 PM

you call this a rant? it is downright impolite and abusive all because you were ignorant of the list.
kudos to safewaysecurity for tolerating this.

skosh69
09-02-2012, 8:42 PM
The Shield is better than a Ruger?!!

Yep...hehehe

bombadillo
09-02-2012, 9:28 PM
If you want a bit bigger without a huge cost, go with the Kahr CW9. Its bigger in the grip, 7+1, DAO with a trigger you have to get used to. I LOVE my Kahr and am extremely accurate with it at 35' or so which is what I bought it for, and there are a lot of accessories for it. Anyway, its one you may want to look into.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0414.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0416.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0404.jpg

viet4lifeOC
09-02-2012, 11:40 PM
You're right brother and I apologize to my fellow forum members and especially to SafewaySecurity for my rant.

Nice of you to apologize. safewaysecurity was just pointing out his observation...nothing more...nothing less.

Dragon
09-03-2012, 12:25 AM
that loaded indicator is lame, but at least the CA version doesnt have a 10 plus # trigger pull like MA. has.

safewaysecurity
09-03-2012, 12:35 AM
that loaded indicator is lame, but at least the CA version doesnt have a 10 plus # trigger pull like MA. has.

Yeah, I saw that. How crazy is that?? 10lb trigger pull needed on all new handguns.. imagine if some innocent bystander was shot when you used your gun in self-defense, I feel like the victim would be on solid ground to sue the state for requiring gun companies to equip their guns with ridiculous and unsafe trigger pulls that would result in poorly aimed shots. I think this was partially one of the reasons why so many innocents were shot by police in that NYC shooting a few days ago, I heard the NYPD requires somehting like a 9.5lb trigger pull on their glocks.

Dragon
09-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I saw that. How crazy is that?? 10lb trigger pull needed on all new handguns.. imagine if some innocent bystander was shot when you used your gun in self-defense, I feel like the victim would be on solid ground to sue the state for requiring gun companies to equip their guns with ridiculous and unsafe trigger pulls that would result in poorly aimed shots. I think this was partially one of the reasons why so many innocents were shot by police in that NYC shooting a few days ago, I heard the NYPD requires somehting like a 9.5lb trigger pull on their glocks.

Its just stupid. 9.5 trigger what joke. Just keep raising the trigger pull till it cant be pulled, that will make it safer.

From what i understand a lighter pull would not have help NYPD , but better training ,and more of it would have.

safewaysecurity
09-03-2012, 1:04 AM
Its just stupid. 9.5 trigger what joke. Just keep raising the trigger pull till it cant be pulled, that will make it safer.

From what i understand a lighter pull would not have help NYPD , but better training ,and more of it would have.

Exactly, it was one of the factors. There's no doubt in my mind that if you put 10 random CGers and 10 random NYPD officers together and gave them the same gun that CGers would easily win as far as speed and accuracy is concerned.

GR8Guns
09-03-2012, 8:00 AM
I've handled and shot both. In my opinion the stock Shield is far superior to the stock LC9 in terms of trigger control due the difference in pull length and reset. However, I do think the LC9 may be slightly easier to carry concealed.

skosh69
09-03-2012, 8:26 PM
you call this a rant? it is downright impolite and abusive all because you were ignorant of the list.
kudos to safewaysecurity for tolerating this.

Excuse me? Ignorant of the list? How so?

emsalex
09-03-2012, 8:54 PM
Ignorant is rehashing a non-issue that was already solved.

I don't need to hold a Shield, and I know it's better than my lc9, two front sights fell off, the extractor flew off and hammer catch pin slide half way out. The whole gun is slippery, to big for most pockets and if it's not going in a pocket i would like more grip.

I would never recommend the LC9.

skosh69
09-03-2012, 9:09 PM

You are right it was solved, between SafewaySecurity and myself...then someone else decides to step up and put their two cents in...with a rather ignorant comment of his own!

I'm just asking simply, how was I ignorant of the list, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Guess, I'm not allowed to do so, according to you!

emsalex
09-03-2012, 9:16 PM
You are right it was solved, between SafewaySecurity and myself...then someone else decides to step up and put their two cents in...with a rather ignorant comment of his own!

I'm just asking simply, how was I ignorant of the list, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Guess, I'm not allowed to do so, according to you!

Haha, my comment was aimed at the fellow calling you ignorant of the roster, when you bought a pistol that was on it at the time of your purchase,

Although I would be on the look out for DOJ helicopter's based on the first page the Shield won't be on the list till oct.

skosh69
09-03-2012, 9:24 PM
Haha, my comment was aimed at the fellow calling you ignorant of the roster, when you bought a pistol that was on it at the time of your purchase,

Although I would be on the look out for DOJ helicopter's based on the first page the Shield won't be on the list till oct.

Darn it, that's twice! I have got to sign up for that sensitivity class!!!! Sorry brother.

I will have my DOJ radar engaged!!!

safewaysecurity
09-03-2012, 10:32 PM

I don't need to hold a Shield, and I know it's better than my lc9, two front sights fell off, the extractor flew off and hammer catch pin slide half way out. The whole gun is slippery, to big for most pockets and if it's not going in a pocket i would like more grip.

I would never recommend the LC9.

Before the shield I was honestly considering the LC9 but after seeing how the gun operates it doesn't look really reliable. The shield has a higher bore axis or w/e it's called when you can hold your grip higher on the gun and a better trigger pull from what I hear. I also hear that pocket carry may be pushing it with the shield but I would like to see if it would work as a reliable pocket pistol. The pockets on the 5.11 pants are pretty big. I reckon they would work in those.

zdragon
09-04-2012, 6:37 PM
I do think the LC9 may be slightly easier to carry concealed.

i carry one almost 24-7.
mag disconnect disabled.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/458/p1070591u.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2012-05-18

socalbud
09-24-2012, 3:45 AM
Is the shield in 40 CA legal?

Shenaniguns
09-24-2012, 5:48 AM
Had the LC9 ans sold it after 50 rounds. picking up the Shield this Tuesday.

LOL, please go into detail :43:

Quiet
09-24-2012, 7:13 AM

Acutally, the fault is on the CA FFL dealer that tranferred the handgun to you.

If CA DOJ gets wind of it, they may send you a letter advising you to exchange it for the CA approved version.
CA DOJ did this when the Glock 21SF was approved and CA FFL dealer's transfered non-approved versions of the Glock 21SF.
It takes CA DOJ about 2 years before they find out and sent out the letters.

When a new handgun that's in demand gets approved, some CA FFL dealers rush to satisfy that demand by selling it before checking to see if there is a CA specific version of it.
Past examples of this happening... Walther P-22, Glock 21SF, Kahr Arms P-380, SIG P-238, and most recently with the S&W M&P-22.

The fault lies with the CA FFL dealer and they may have to deal with it when they get audited/inspected by CA DOJ.

Quiet
09-24-2012, 7:19 AM
Is the shield in 40 CA legal?

A CA approved version of the S&W M&P-40 Shield (SKU #187020) was placed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale on 09-11-2012.

However, like the CA approved version of the S&W M&P-9 Shield (SKU #187021), it is not currently available. It's suppose to be available around late-Q4 2012 to early-Q1 2013.

Mr310
09-24-2012, 8:03 AM
How's the trigger on the Shield vs. a regular M&P?

21SF
09-24-2012, 8:45 AM
IBTS&W fan boys!!

Way too much hype over this gun....

I do however think the LC9 grip is too thin. Feels odd.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 9:36 AM
IBTS&W fan boys!!

Way too much hype over this gun....

I do however think the LC9 grip is too thin. Feels odd.

You're a little late to the party big fella, did you read the first page? I'm a Glock guy, and I absolutely love my Shield.

21SF
09-24-2012, 9:45 AM
You're a little late to the party big fella, did you read the first page? I'm a Glock guy, and I absolutely love my Shield.

IT was sarcastic obviously the thread is full of fan boys already.

emsalex
09-24-2012, 9:53 AM
Before the shield I was honestly considering the LC9 but after seeing how the gun operates it doesn't look really reliable. The shield has a higher bore axis or w/e it's called when you can hold your grip higher on the gun and a better trigger pull from what I hear. I also hear that pocket carry may be pushing it with the shield but I would like to see if it would work as a reliable pocket pistol. The pockets on the 5.11 pants are pretty big. I reckon they would work in those.

The LC9 fits fine in cargo/ems/tactical pants. But those are my work pants and don't like wearing them when I'm off,

There are alot of LC9's out there working fine. I just got three QC issues in a row, well four I Guess.

Front sight not pinned.
Ejector flew off new slide.
Gun came back from ruger with out a pinned front sight.
Gun came back from ruger with the hammer catch pin out of place(required a full brake down).

If some one is set on the LC9 i would just tell them to put ALOT of rounds down range before trusting it.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 10:04 AM
IT was sarcastic obviously the thread is full of fan boys already.

My sarcasticometer may have been off. Have you actually shot either one?

Just because someone likes a new gun, doesn't make them a fanboy. As a Glock guy, I get accused of it all the time, so I make an extra effort to not call "fanboyism" unless it's really warranted.

Tiberius
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
As for buying an off-roster gun, my understanding of the law is that while it is illegal for an FFL to sell an off-roster gun to a non-exempt person (tho that airport cop who just fired a S&W j-frame while trying to unload is good to go), it isn't illegal for a non-exempt person to buy one. So if someone sells you one, good for you.

The same is true for 10+ mags - they're illegal to sell, but not illegal to buy. There just aren't too many stores around that sell them (none, obviously).

21SF
09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
My sarcasticometer may have been off. Have you actually shot either one?

Just because someone likes a new gun, doesn't make them a fanboy. As a Glock guy, I get accused of it all the time, so I make an extra effort to not call "fanboyism" unless it's really warranted.

I have shot the LC, not the Shield which I assume most havent.

Yet its highly anticipated, delivers nothing there isnt already on the market.

So I call it fanboism. LOL

ddnguyen9
09-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I own the M&P Shield 9mm. I don't own the Ruger LC9 but I have handled one at a gun store. I also don't like the thin grips of the LC9. They are too thin for my hands. I like the grips of the Shield though. My hands seem to mold over the Shield and provide better control of the firearm.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM

I disagree. It's a single stack, striker fired, polymer pistol that's built strong. It has a better feel in the hand while shooting than the Kahr or Ruger. Although the Kahr trigger is smooth as silk, it's still a long DAO pull. I don't think I need to even go into the travesty that is the LC9's DAO trigger. The Shield has a typical striker fired pistol type trigger, with a very pronounced/short reset. The sights are also dovetailed in, not staked like the CW or LC. The PPS has had it's problems, so that one was out for me. Forget about the Beretta Nano. It certainly doesn't hurt to have an MSRP of $449.

How can you say it's ALL hype if you've never shot it? You have no idea whether it is or not.

InGrAM
09-24-2012, 12:17 PM

It actually does deliver something that isn't on the market yet. It delivers a extremely compact M&P. S&W has a great product in the M&P line of pistols it is no wonder people want the shield. Is it surprising to you that the shield was and is so anticipated?

skosh69
09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
It actually does deliver something that isn't on the market yet. It delivers a extremely compact M&P. S&W has a great product in the M&P line of pistols it is no wonder people want the shield. Is it surprising to you that the shield was and is so anticipated?

The Glock 21sf guy is just jealous that something other than a Glock is getting the markets attention right now and the fact that you, myself and others have a Shield and he does not....that's all!

tacticalcity
09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
As for buying an off-roster gun, my understanding of the law is that while it is illegal for an FFL to sell an off-roster gun to a non-exempt person (tho that airport cop who just fired a S&W j-frame while trying to unload is good to go), it isn't illegal for a non-exempt person to buy one. So if someone sells you one, good for you.

The same is true for 10+ mags - they're illegal to sell, but not illegal to buy. There just aren't too many stores around that sell them (none, obviously).

You are correct. The law only restricts what the FFL can sell you. And there is a way he can sell you off roster stuff as well, by doing a single shot exemption. Just because a CA version exists, does not mean you are limited to the CA version. If you know what you are doing you can pretty much get whatever you want...there are only a few gun laws on the books that don't have a way around them written right into them. Outright bans are rare and hard to enforce. The roster is nothing more than a minor inconvience to dealers who know how to do minor gunsmithing to make a single shot exemption kit and know the law.

To answer the guy who asked about the trigger, while I have not personally shot this gun yet myself all the videos and reviews talk about it being a very different trigger than that in the other M&P models. The fixed the issued of not feeling a click when the gun resets. In the past it was difficult to exploit the trigger rest because you didn't feel a hard click when the trigger reached the reset point. As a result you released the trigger further than you needed to costing you time, and adding too much movement between trigger pulls that could pull you off target during the pull. The Shield now lets you feel and hear the trigger reset, so you know when it resets and can train yourself not to release the trigger beyond that point during trigger pulls making you faster and more accurate. You can still do this with the other M&Ps, it is just more difficult without the pronounced reset "click" shooters of other guns are used to.

My only worry about this gun is the presence of the safety. I really wish it wasn't there. I'm concerned that the one in a billion time I actually need to use the gun to save my life will also be the one in a billion time it accidentally gets clicked on. I much prefer it just not be there at all. I know why they added it. They wanted to compete with the pocket pistols. However, I would want to use it more as a traditional concealed carry weapon in a nice solid but hidden holster. So while a pocket pistol needs a safety due to the unusual and assorted ways it gets carried, a traditional carry pistol does not. So most likely this is just not the right gun for my needs. But it is damn close. Love how easy it is to hide, love how similar it is the Glock I know and love so well. Just can't get passed the fact that it has that darn safety. It is kinda heart breaking.

21SF
09-24-2012, 1:46 PM
I disagree. It's a single stack, striker fired, polymer pistol that's built strong. It has a better feel in the hand while shooting than the Kahr or Ruger. Although the Kahr trigger is smooth as silk, it's still a long DAO pull. I don't think I need to even go into the travesty that is the LC9's DAO trigger. The Shield has a typical striker fired pistol type trigger, with a very pronounced/short reset. The sights are also dovetailed in, not staked like the CW or LC. The PPS has had it's problems, so that one was out for me. Forget about the Beretta Nano. It certainly doesn't hurt to have an MSRP of $449.

How can you say it's ALL hype if you've never shot it? You have no idea whether it is or not.

Neither do the people making the hype? It is nice to have other options I guess.

So its just because it an M&P ? So it is fanboism?

The Glock 21sf guy is just jealous that something other than a Glock is getting the markets attention right now and the fact that you, myself and others have a Shield and he does not....that's all!

Yes I'm so jelly...LOL!!!!

InGrAM
09-24-2012, 1:50 PM
Neither do the people making the hype? It is nice to have other options I guess.

So its just because it an M&P ? So it is fanboism?

Yes I'm so jelly...LOL!!!!

It is because S&W makes a quality product that is reliable. If you can't comprehend that then that is your problem...

And yes, your posts read as if you are jealous.

21SF
09-24-2012, 1:53 PM
It is because S&W makes a quality product that is reliable. If you can't comprehend that then that is your problem...

And yes, you read as if you are jealous.

Hey, keep the learning disability comments to yourself, k? lol

I was just hoping that one of you guys would have something constructive to say and maybe convince me to get one. Guess not.

I do like it on paper, minus the safety.

InGrAM
09-24-2012, 2:02 PM
Hey, keep the learning disability comments to yourself, k? lol

I was just hoping that one of you guys would have something constructive to say and maybe convince me to get one. Guess not.

I do like it on paper, minus the safety.

If you can't see the obvious advantages of the Shield over the LC9 then.... I am sorry but the "learning disability" comment is spot on.

21SF
09-24-2012, 2:08 PM
If you can't see the obvious advantages of the Shield over the LC9 then.... I am sorry but the "learning disability" comment is spot on.

Not necessarily the LC9 which I already mentioned I don't like.

How is it better than the Kaur? Price?

I don't like safety's on my carry pistols. That's just me. Unless its a hammer fired single action weapon.

I'm trying not to be a dick, I would appreciate it if you did as well.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 2:12 PM
You are correct. The law only restricts what the FFL can sell you. And there is a way he can sell you off roster stuff as well, by doing a single shot exemption. Just because a CA version exists, does not mean you are limited to the CA version. If you know what you are doing you can pretty much get whatever you want...there are only a few gun laws on the books that don't have a way around them written right into them. Outright bans are rare and hard to enforce. The roster is nothing more than a minor inconvience to dealers who know how to do minor gunsmithing to make a single shot exemption kit and know the law.

To answer the guy who asked about the trigger, while I have not personally shot this gun yet myself all the videos and reviews talk about it being a very different trigger than that in the other M&P models. The fixed the issued of not feeling a click when the gun resets. In the past it was difficult to exploit the trigger rest because you didn't feel a hard click when the trigger reached the reset point. As a result you released the trigger further than you needed to costing you time, and adding too much movement between trigger pulls that could pull you off target during the pull. The Shield now lets you feel and hear the trigger reset, so you know when it resets and can train yourself not to release the trigger beyond that point during trigger pulls making you faster and more accurate. You can still do this with the other M&Ps, it is just more difficult without the pronounced reset "click" shooters of other guns are used to.

My only worry about this gun is the presence of the safety. I really wish it wasn't there. I'm concerned that the one in a billion time I actually need to use the gun to save my life will also be the one in a billion time it accidentally gets clicked on. I much prefer it just not be there at all. I know why they added it. They wanted to compete with the pocket pistols. However, I would want to use it more as a traditional concealed carry weapon in a nice solid but hidden holster. So while a pocket pistol needs a safety due to the unusual and assorted ways it gets carried, a traditional carry pistol does not. So most likely this is just not the right gun for my needs. But it is damn close. Love how easy it is to hide, love how similar it is the Glock I know and love so well. Just can't get passed the fact that it has that darn safety. It is kinda heart breaking.

Not a problem. It takes about 5 minutes with a Dremel, and it's like it was never there.

XahDy4rMAv4&feature

Not aimed at you, but anyone that says anything like "what if someone picks it up and shoots thelmself because they think the safety is on?" should be wearing a helmet. Learn your firearm safety rules, and be a responsible gun owner. Please feel free to leave a comment too.

21SF
09-24-2012, 2:18 PM
Not a problem. It takes about 5 minutes with a Dremel, and it's like it was never there.

XahDy4rMAv4&feature

Not aimed at you, but anyone that says anything like "what if someone picks it up and shoots thelmself because they think the safety is on?" should be wearing a helmet. Learn your firearm safety rules, and be a responsible gun owner. Please feel free to leave a comment too.

See now where talking if the gun came with out the safety, then I could definitely see the attraction since every one has complained and scratch their heads for years wondering why glock hasn't come out with a single stack 9.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 2:20 PM
Not necessarily the LC9 which I already mentioned I don't like.

How is it better than the Kahr? Price?

Ergonomics & Trigger are both way better for me. Like I said, even though the Kahr has a buttery smooth trigger, I dot care for the DAO pull. The Shield also appears to be built stronger, and more durable. The mags also look better.

I don't like safety's on my carry pistols. That's just me. Unless its a hammer fired single action weapon.

Neither do I, it's an easy fix.

I'm trying not to be a dick, I would appreciate it if you did as well.

You came off like a dick from the start, which is why 3 guys started hammering you.

drifter2be
09-24-2012, 2:22 PM
If you want a bit bigger without a huge cost, go with the Kahr CW9. Its bigger in the grip, 7+1, DAO with a trigger you have to get used to. I LOVE my Kahr and am extremely accurate with it at 35' or so which is what I bought it for, and there are a lot of accessories for it. Anyway, its one you may want to look into.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0414.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0416.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMG_0404.jpg

I had a Kahr. Hated it. Hated it. Did I mention that I hated it?

It feels like a gun that was build by an accountant. All the things add up but it just doesn't feel right. Carrying it I found that bigger grip to be too long when you have a magazine that has the pinky rest like the factory 7 rounders do and there was no way for me to carry it at the 3 o'clock position without the grip printing against my shirt.

Just went out and picked up a LC9 at a LGS and went immediately to the range. Put 100 rounds through it, and after getting used to the long pull in the first two magazines I was keeping all my shots within a 3" group at 25' which is the distance I do all my self-defense practice shooting at. Groups just a bit larger at that distance that my SR9c and about 2" tighter than my LCP.

I would have looked into the shield but they are selling like hotcakes out here in AZ right now and nobody has one in stock and I didn't feel like waiting to get my hands on one.

I would suggest looking into the CM9, if it is on the roster, seems like the slightly smaller dimensions would make it a little easier to conceal than a CW9. But if you don't feel like funding a cult the LC9 is definitely a nice option although I wouldn't doubt that the Shield is probably the better option due to the long LC9 trigger.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/daily/march99/moon10.htm

InGrAM
09-24-2012, 2:25 PM
DRAB 81 hit it spot on.

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 2:26 PM
See now where talking if the gun came with out the safety, then I could definitely see the attraction since every one has complained and scratch their heads for years wondering why glock hasn't come out with a single stack 9.

Yeah, if Glock made a single stack 9, I would have never bought this gun. I truly believe this is the closest we'll ever get, and I'm okay with that.

PAKALO
09-24-2012, 2:34 PM
lots of good replies here. my personal opinion; dont get the lc9. comes with one mag, very very thin..everything i shot was inches right and that was all comfort from the darn thing just being to small.. whats the point of having something so small?? are you actually going to use it for ccw?? not really i bet!! stay away from Kahr there all polymer on the frame=short life span...
honest opinion if you want a subcompact 9mm.. just get Glock 26.. 10 rounds size of your hand... what else do you want?????
ps m&p same darn thing ok

21SF
09-24-2012, 2:56 PM
You came off like a dick from the start, which is why 3 guys started hammering you.

I don't mind people responding its when they start talking %#$@ with personal attacks. The most I called anyone was a fanboy and never directly to anyone.

skosh69
09-24-2012, 6:17 PM
I don't mind people responding its when they start talking %#$@ with personal attacks. The most I called anyone was a fanboy and never directly to anyone.

Wow, this thing got way outta hand quick!

Hey, if you want to shoot my Shield, so that you can compare it to the LC9,pm me and we can get together somewhere here in the Bay.

Now that all the crap talking is done, let's get back to guns!!!!

21SF
09-25-2012, 8:45 AM
Wow, this thing got way outta hand quick!

Hey, if you want to shoot my Shield, so that you can compare it to the LC9,pm me and we can get together somewhere here in the Bay.

Now that all the crap talking is done, let's get back to guns!!!!

Sounds good, I shoot at USI in concord.

I dont think its a fair comparison to the LC9 since that gun blows, lol.

With Ruger I stick to wheel guns.

OpenYourEyes
09-25-2012, 5:35 PM
Man when is my shield going to get here! I'm tired of waiting lol Speaking of the CW9, i'll be selling mine once my cali legal Shield comes in ;)

Steph
10-01-2012, 8:12 PM
Does anyone near the Inland Empire area have a Shield they wouldn't mind allowing a demo?

Red Devil
10-01-2012, 9:45 PM

As opposed to a HUGE, one (1) ounce heavier "Six and a Mag" .45 ACP G36...? :D

DRAB_81
10-01-2012, 10:14 PM
As opposed to a HUGE, one (1) ounce heavier "Six and a Mag" .45 ACP G36...? :D

I can carry a G20 with no problems, so I could care less about 1oz. The difference is the width. The Shield is almost .25" thinner, which is about 20%. If I'm going to carry something with less than 10rds, it better absolutely disappear. Not a quality of a G36 sized handgun. That, and I'd have 9rds of 9mm in a gun that I can actually run. If I wanted to carry a gun in the G36 size "range", I'd take 15rds of 9mm over 6rds of 45 any day of the week.

What exactly are you doing in this thread? Bringing a G36 into a LC9 vs Shield debate? Seriously?

DRAB_81
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
And yeah, the G36 is HUGE compared to the Shield. Thanks for the pic.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/5B5A77B1-4DF0-4FB0-858F-514F35FFF7A9-3006-0000050F064F646E.jpg

Red Devil
10-01-2012, 10:35 PM
...What exactly are you doing in this thread? Bringing a G36 into a LC9 vs Shield debate? Seriously?
Who, Me...?!? :D

(And it's just 0.15" thicker... a hair over an eighth (1/8) in.)

Shield:
Bbl. Length: 3.1"
Frame Width: .95"
Overall Height: 4.6"
Weight: 19.0 oz
Capacity (9mm): 7+1

G36:
Bbl. Length: 3.78"
Frame Width: 1.10"
Overall Height: 4.76"
Weight: 20.11 oz
Capacity (45ACP): 6+1

DRAB_81
10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Who, Me...?!? :D

(And it's just 0.15" thicker... a hair over an eighth (1/8) in.)

Shield:
Bbl. Length: 3.1"
Frame Width: .95"
Overall Height: 4.6"
Weight: 19.0 oz
Capacity (9mm): 7+1

G36:
Bbl. Length: 3.78"
Frame Width: 1.10"
Overall Height: 4.76"
Weight: 20.11 oz
Capacity (45ACP): 6+1

The G36's width is 1.13" (see Glock's website)
The Shield's width is .95" (see S&W's website)

The Shield has both a 7rd Flush Fit mag, and an 8rd Extended Mag.

I'm still struggling to find your point in this thread...

Red Devil
10-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Glock's website has the width at 1.10" in the spec. tables which, legally, take precedence.

(the extra 0.03" is either a typo, or the added thickness of the thumb-rest swells.)

The big difference is in the Length, which is the concealable dimension as well as the performance and sight radius dimension, and thereby accuracy dimension.

(and, of course, it's chambered in a caliber that starts w/ a "4"... for Men. :D )

kauaibuilt
10-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Friend of mine (lucky MF!!!!) picked up off-roster shield 9 and 40 (he's LEO).... And then sold me his LC9. Told him if the .40 kicks too much or 9mm is too weak let me know and I'll buy it off him. We haven't hit the range in a bit but when we do I'll let y'all know.

DRAB_81
10-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Glock's website has the width at 1.10" in the spec. tables which, legally, take precedence.

(the extra 0.03" is either a typo, or the added thickness of the thumb-rest swells.)

The big difference is in the Length, which is the concealable dimension as well as the performance and sight radius dimension, and thereby accuracy dimension.

(and, of course, it's chambered in a caliber that starts w/ a "4"... for Men. :D )

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/D4AF0039-46E6-457B-848A-0A1812321A4D-3006-00000516EDEF57E9.jpg

I don't need a "4" in the caliber to make me feel like a man. It won't do you any good if you can't put rounds on target faster than the guy(s) shooting at you. Also, maybe it's just a difference in opinion, but the width of a gun plays the biggest role in concealability, followed by grip length. Muzzle length doesn't matter all that much to me.

What does this have to do with the LC9 vs Shield again?

Red Devil
10-02-2012, 12:25 AM
This is the Current page:

GLOCK 36 (http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36)

No doubt after Gaston put the G36 on the "Michelle Antoinette" school lunch plan. :D

...Also, maybe it's just a difference in opinion, but the width of a gun plays the biggest role in concealability, followed by grip length. Muzzle length doesn't matter all that much to me.

What does this have to do with the LC9 vs Shield again?

The G36 is a hair over an 1/8th" thicker, a hair over an 1/8th" taller, One ounce heaver...

...and it's HUGE?

It holds One less round of .45 ACP, but has "+1" Mag bases as well.

The Shield is a lot closer to a G36 in the critical aspects of a non-purse pistol than the LC9.

And w/ a 3" Bbl., even w/ "short Bbl." ammo, 124 gr. +P loads will be more Fourth-of-July than performance.

Same w/ the .40 version.

You said, "I absolutely love my Shield", and that's great. From everything I've seen it is a fine weapon.

I was seriously considering the .40 Shield but went w/ the G36 for the longer Bbl. and sight radius, and because I'm already programed for the controls, or lack there or, of a Glock. The .45 ACP was a bonus, I'd've taken a .40 w/ an extra round in a heart-beat.

locosway
10-02-2012, 2:32 AM

LC9 is thin, which makes for a nice carry gun, but doesn't make for a good feel in the hand. The Shield feels awesome in your hand, but I haven't shot one yet.

And while there isn't a CA compliant model available yet, there are shops that can SSE it.

I have mine on order and then I'll SSE it because I don't want the stupid CA version with the LCI.

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 6:21 AM
The G36 is a hair over an 1/8th" thicker, a hair over an 1/8th" taller, One ounce heaver...

...and it's HUGE?

Yes, like I said, it's HUGE for a gun that has a 6rd capacity. The most common 9mm with a 6rd capacity is a PM9.

The Shield is a lot closer to a G36 in the critical aspects of a non-purse pistol than the LC9.

If you really think that, look at the picture above, and if you still really think that, I have nothing else to say.

And w/ a 3" Bbl., even w/ "short Bbl." ammo, 124 gr. +P loads will be more Fourth-of-July than performance.

I have shot Ranger T 124gr +P's through my Shield. Sorry, no 4th of July. I also chrono'd them through my G26 last year, and they averaged 1180fps (3.46" barrel).

I was seriously considering the .40 Shield but went w/ the G36 for the longer Bbl. and sight radius, and because I'm already programed for the controls, or lack there or, of a Glock.

The first thing I did was modify the safety. It operates like a Glock now.

XDRoX
10-02-2012, 6:40 AM
You modified the safety on a carry gun?

Can you elaborate on exactly what you did?

Thanks.

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 7:13 AM
You modified the safety on a carry gun?

Can you elaborate on exactly what you did?

Thanks.

Yes, I modified the safety on a carry gun. I trimmed off the tab that blocks the striker. The entire safety lever cannot be removed without a huge risk of destroying reliability.

Just to cover it again:

1. Nobody is going to pick up my gun and shoot themself with it because they think the safety is engaged. Wherever my guns go, I go. I don't leave loaded guns laying around, and I make sure that anyone shooting my guns knows the 4 firearm safety rules (and obeys them at all times).

2. Im not going to forget that it doesn't have a safety, and accidentally shoot myself.

3. Name a case where a pistol modification sent someone to prison, or got them sued, in a GOOD shoot. I don't buy into all the interweb hysteria on these kinds of firearms issues.

XDRoX
10-02-2012, 7:51 AM
Yes, I modified the safety on a carry gun. I trimmed off the tab that blocks the striker. The entire safety lever cannot be removed without a huge risk of destroying reliability.

Just to cover it again:

1. Nobody is going to pick up my gun and shoot themself with it because they think the safety is engaged. Wherever my guns go, I go. I don't leave loaded guns laying around, and I make sure that anyone shooting my guns knows the 4 firearm safety rules (and obeys them at all times).

2. Im not going to forget that it doesn't have a safety, and accidentally shoot myself.

3. Name a case where a pistol modification sent someone to prison, or got them sued, in a GOOD shoot. I don't buy into all the interweb hysteria on these kinds of firearms issues.

I agree with most everything you say, but does the Shield have other internal built in safeties like Glock?

I'm not familiar with how the gun works. But it seems like Glock took a lot of extra measures of safety in developing a gun that even without a thumb safety, is still very safe. Trigger safety, internal firing pin block, and drop safe.

I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the thumb safety from many guns out there. Most guns that have thumb safeties don't have other types of safeties. Again I'm not familiar with how a Shield operates, but if it doesn't have other safeties removing the one it does doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 7:59 AM
I agree with most everything you say, but does the Shield have other internal built in safeties like Glock?

I'm not familiar with how the gun works. But it seems like Glock took a lot of extra measures of safety in developing a gun that even without a thumb safety, is still very safe. Trigger safety, internal firing pin block, and drop safe.

I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the thumb safety from many guns out there. Most guns that have thumb safeties don't have other types of safeties. Again I'm not familiar with how a Shield operates, but if it doesn't have other safeties removing the one it does doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

The internal features of the Shield mirror the standard M&P line, so it does have all the internal safeties as well. The safety lever is an option with the standard M&P's, and the lever is the only difference between those models. The M&P's have very similar safeties to the Glock, like the trigger safety & striker safety.

XDRoX
10-02-2012, 8:50 AM
The internal features of the Shield mirror the standard M&P line, so it does have all the internal safeties as well. The safety lever is an option with the standard M&P's, and the lever is the only difference between those models. The M&P's have very similar safeties to the Glock, like the trigger safety & striker safety.

Thanks for the info. I would have removed the thumb safety as well.

kauaibuilt
10-02-2012, 12:09 PM
For your consideration. I am leaning forward in the last 2 pics. In all honesty they're the best concealable pistols I own right now.

M&PC in 1 pocket lc9 in the other

Lc9 in unknown kydex holster

9c in comptac

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dagtwo
10-02-2012, 2:30 PM
I keep seeing this thread come up on my phone and now I just have to make a comment. I have no input on the shield, however my wife just got the LC9 a few months ago. So far it is a very solid gun. We have put a few hundred rounds through it without issue. It doesn't feel as nice in the hand as my glock or the shield (i'm making this assumption on other m&ps I have held). But it if far more concealable than my glock27 or similar polymer sub-compacts. The thing disappears in my wifes waistband and she is pretty small. The trigger pull does take some getting used to. After about the first clip I got the feel of it and was grouping 2-3" @ 25yd. Still don't like trigger pull but we are going to modify it with a galloway kit. $425 w/ DROS and tax + $40 for the trigger kit + $30 for the extra clip (overpaid) and Im still under anything I have seen the shield go for. And as far as the last two things everyone b****** about, the safety and LCI... The safety my wife likes. She has practiced disengaging the safety before holstering and re-engaging when taking out for the day (she carries). We have two small kids, so when it is not in the safe, safety is on and clip is partially removed so the gun wont fire. The LCI, we don't care, too small to get in the way.

I personally don't carry the LC9 cause I like my G27. But I hear people bash LC9 in every thread it is brought up in and I don't agree with thier reasoning. So I had to share my $.02

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 2:51 PM
I keep seeing this thread come up on my phone and now I just have to make a comment. I have no input on the shield, however my wife just got the LC9 a few months ago. So far it is a very solid gun. We have put a few hundred rounds through it without issue. It doesn't feel as nice in the hand as my glock or the shield (i'm making this assumption on other m&ps I have held). But it if far more concealable than my glock27 or similar polymer sub-compacts. The thing disappears in my wifes waistband and she is pretty small. The trigger pull does take some getting used to. After about the first clip I got the feel of it and was grouping 2-3" @ 25yd. Still don't like trigger pull but we are going to modify it with a galloway kit. $425 w/ DROS and tax + $40 for the trigger kit + $30 for the extra clip (overpaid) and Im still under anything I have seen the shield go for. And as far as the last two things everyone b****** about, the safety and LCI... The safety my wife likes. She has practiced disengaging the safety before holstering and re-engaging when taking out for the day (she carries). We have two small kids, so when it is not in the safe, safety is on and clip is partially removed so the gun wont fire. The LCI, we don't care, too small to get in the way.

I personally don't carry the LC9 cause I like my G27. But I hear people bash LC9 in every thread it is brought up in and I don't agree with thier reasoning. So I had to share my $.02

1. 2-3" groups @ 25yds with an LC9?

2. What does having kids have to do with this? I have kids too. If the gun isn't on me, it's in the safe. I don't leave loaded firearms laying around for my kids to pick up, regardless of whether a safety is engaged or a "clip" is fully inserted.

XDRoX
10-02-2012, 3:28 PM
The LC9 has a thumb safety?

Even leaving the magazine slightly out and the safety on, I don't think you should be leaving your gun around the house if you have kids.

InGrAM
10-02-2012, 3:32 PM

2. What does having kids have to do with this? I have kids too. If the gun isn't on me, it's in the safe. I don't leave loaded firearms laying around for my kids to pick up, regardless of whether a safety is engaged or a "clip" is fully inserted.

In bold: I was going to post something as well but I figured he would just give some BS response, so I didn't even bother.

dagtwo
10-02-2012, 3:37 PM

1. Give or take. I admit I am a terrible judge of distance and just kinda hit the button until my target is beyond everyone else's (machismo thing I guess). :) Once you get used to trigger pull and watch the hammer comes back to just below the slide, hold then aim, you can get pretty accurate.

2. I knew I would get slack for the kids/safe comment. Yes, we have safes, yes they are almost always in there if not on our persons. In the few instances where my wife is just running into the house for a minute and has to take it off [insert reason here] and places high out of reach of my 7month old or 25 month old, it is nice to have the added security of quickly rendering the gun in an extremely difficult to make fire by a toddler condition on the off chance that the cat jumps up on the high shelf and knocks both the clip and the gun down to within thier reach. Furthermore, I feel better that my wife has these extra features giving that she is relatively new to concealed carry. My glock is a different story.

Point of my post was to tell the OP that I believe the lc9 is a pretty good gun despite what I see others complaining about

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

tacticalcity
10-02-2012, 3:38 PM

A lot of Glock guy's have been taking a serious look at the Shield due to printing issues with the Glock 26 & 36 because of it's thickness. Many Glock guys have commented on that fact here and on similar threads. Any time they see the Shield mentioned, they gravitate towards that thread, because of their interest in the Shield and not necessarily whatever gun it is being compared to...feeling tempation to stray from Glock creep in (if only a little).

So his comments are a direct response to those guys, who are here and are posting and are reading and are interested...myself included.

I personally am torn between the Glock 26 and the Shield. I don't really have any interest in the Ruger. I never felt tempted to stray from my Glock/1911 comfort zone and try one out. Just too different from what I know. But the Shield is very similar to the Glock, so there is little to no learning curve for me there. I like the smaller size of the Shield, but hate the presence of the thumb safety. So for me it is useful to know the difference in thickness is probably not nearly as much as I am imagining it to be in my head and the shield will still likely have the same printing issue with a light t-shirt on. For me, his picture helps out big time.

I'm also seriously considering the Springfield EMP for concealed carry or even the Kimber CDP. Yes the 1911 is very different from the Glock, but I know the 1911 already...so no learning curve for me there. So I can start carrying it right away, and not worry about muscle memory getting it wrong.

Not a revolver guy, which is kinda a shame because those hide well but everything else about how to use them doesn't work for me.

Finding the right gun for concealed carry is something of chore. I'm one of those people on whom a gun just doesn't hide well. Finding the right fit is not as easy as finding the right full size gun you like. Sure you can hide just about anything in the winter, including a full size Glock or 1911, but in the summer you have fewer choices. Here in Sacramento it gets pretty warm. It was 96 degrees outside today...in October! So a good part of the year all you have to hide the steel is a thin t-shirt or polo style sport shirt. Those things print like crazy.

It doesn't help that I am not a pocket carry guy. I want the gun in a straight drop hip holster ready to roll. Which of course is the worst place to carry when it comes to concealment and printing issues, but the best place when it comes to responding to a threat.

My point is, any discussion of the Shield in any context is naturally going to lead to a discussion of the Glock. It is just the nature of the beast. Because a lot of us Glock guys are very tempted by the Shield...but not entirely sold yet.

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 3:45 PM
A lot of Glock guy's have been taking a serious look at the shield due to difficulty concealing the Glock 26 & 36 because of it's thickness. Many of comment on that fact here and on similar threads. Any time they see the Shield mentioned, they gravitate towards it...feeling tempation to stray creep in.

So his comments are a direct response to those guys, who are here and are posting...myself included.

I am torn between the Glock 26 and the Shield. I like the smaller size of the shield, but hate the presence of the thumb safety. So for me it is useful to know the difference in thickness is probably not nearly as much as I am imagining it to be in my head. For me, his picture helps out big time.

I'm also seriously considering the Springfield EMP for concealed carry or even the Kimber CDP. Not a revolver guy, which is kinda a shame. Finding the right gun for concealed carry is something of chore. Finding the right fit is not as easy as finding the right full size gun you like. Winter carry not being as big of a deal as summer carry. Here in Sacramento it gets pretty warm. It was 96 degrees outside today...in October! So a good part of the year all you have to hide the steel is a thin t-shirt or polo.

I had the same exact dilemma right before I bought a Shield. I found one locally, and jumped on it. I used to have a G26, but ended up trading it because I didn't really care for it at the time. Being a 100% Glock Guy, and having now owned both, I'm really happy that I found the Shield before I pulled the trigger on another G26. Let me know if you want to shoot my Shield, I'm not too far away.

(about what you quoted, it was a loaded question. Ol Red came over here all huffy because in a different thread, I said his G36 was HUGE for a 6rd pistol. Apparently it offended him deeply)

XDRoX
10-02-2012, 3:46 PM
1. Give or take. I admit I am a terrible judge of distance and just kinda hit the button until my target is beyond everyone else's (machismo thing I guess). :) Once you get used to trigger pull and watch the hammer comes back to just below the slide, hold then aim, you can get pretty accurate.

2. I knew I would get slack for the kids/safe comment. Yes, we have safes, yes they are almost always in there if not on our persons. In the few instances where my wife is just running into the house for a minute and has to take it off [insert reason here] and places high out of reach of my 7month old or 25 month old, it is nice to have the added security of quickly rendering the gun in an extremely difficult to make fire by a toddler condition on the off chance that the cat jumps up on the high shelf and knocks both the clip and the gun down to within thier reach. Furthermore, I feel better that my wife has these extra features giving that she is relatively new to concealed carry. My glock is a different story.

Point of my post was to tell the OP that I believe the lc9 is a pretty good gun despite what I see others complaining about

I think you probably meant 25 feet. Which I still wouldn't believe. But 2" groups at 75 feet with the LC9 marksman status.

dagtwo
10-02-2012, 3:52 PM
I think you probably meant 25 feet. Which I still wouldn't believe. But 2" groups at 75 feet with the LC9 marksman status.

Yes, I didn't catch that.. my bad, 25ft. 25ish ft I will say.

viet4lifeOC
10-02-2012, 3:58 PM
anyone have a ETA on the Shield from Turner's?

tacticalcity
10-02-2012, 4:03 PM
I had the same exact dilemma right before I bought a Shield. I found one locally, and jumped on it. I used to have a G26, but ended up trading it because I didn't really care for it at the time. Being a 100% Glock Guy, and having now owned both, I'm really happy that I found the Shield before I pulled the trigger on another G26. Let me know if you want to shoot my Shield, I'm not too far away.

(about what you quoted, it was a loaded question. Ol Red came over here all huffy because in a different thread, I said his G36 was HUGE for a 6rd pistol. Apparently it offended him deeply)

A chance to shoot a new gun? Always fun. I have been pretty lazy about getting to range lately. $25 range fee ends up becoming $25 less credit card debt each week. Been focusing on making all my debt go away so I can buy a house. But I need the range time or I'll get so rusty I'll be useless. Handgun skills are perishable.

Any time you are in the area and planning a range trip shoot me a PM. If I'm near you I'll do the same. I would love a chance to shoot the Shield, and just get to the range for a day. Range day is more fun with company. Not always as productive, but definately more fun.

The upside to a Glock, which I am sure he mentioned is you can use full size hi-cap magazines from the larger models in the smaller guns. Your first mag would be limited (6 shots in his case) but your second mag would be hi-cap. Not sure if you can do that in the Shield. Would not surprise me one way or the other. In California things get tricky thanks to hi-caps being a legal "nuisance" even if they are from before than ban. But that's not a huge deal. Worst case you loose your mags. Since the M&P came after the ban, it's not really an option in this state.

In any case, I'm all over the place. One minute I am dead set on the G26, the next I am dead set on the EMP 9, the next I want the Kimber CDP. The "old me" would just buy one of each and the Shield and the LC9 even I am not crazy about it. Sadly, not an option at the moment.

DRAB_81
10-02-2012, 5:03 PM
A chance to shoot a new gun? Always fun. I have been pretty lazy about getting to range lately. $25 range fee ends up becoming $25 less credit card debt each week. Been focusing on making all my debt go away so I can buy a house. But I need the range time or I'll get so rusty I'll be useless. Handgun skills are perishable.

Any time you are in the area and planning a range trip shoot me a PM. If I'm near you I'll do the same. I would love a chance to shoot the Shield, and just get to the range for a day. Range day is more fun with company. Not always as productive, but definately more fun.

The upside to a Glock, which I am sure he mentioned is you can use full size hi-cap magazines from the larger models in the smaller guns. Your first mag would be limited (6 shots in his case) but your second mag would be hi-cap. Not sure if you can do that in the Shield. Would not surprise me one way or the other. In California things get tricky thanks to hi-caps being a legal "nuisance" even if they are from before than ban. But that's not a huge deal. Worst case you loose your mags. Since the M&P came after the ban, it's not really an option in this state.

In any case, I'm all over the place. One minute I am dead set on the G26, the next I am dead set on the EMP 9, the next I want the Kimber CDP. The "old me" would just buy one of each and the Shield and the LC9 even I am not crazy about it. Sadly, not an option at the moment.

He was pleading the case of his new G36, which doesn't have any hi-caps. My G26 obviously also took G19 & G17 mags, but he wasn't talking about the G26. I'll let you know the next time I head to Sac Valley or The Gun Room (last resort).

smittty
10-02-2012, 5:05 PM
I bought the LC9 last January and I like it. I'm hoping the see the XDs in 9mm at next shot show but if that doesn't happen I'll probably get the Shield.

I have no complaints about the LC9 and I can shoot tight 1"-2" groups 7 yards. The trigger isn't bad in my hands but ymmv.

I'm a big fan of the sub-compact 9mm and hope to see more companies make them.

Red Devil
10-02-2012, 5:16 PM
...about what you quoted, it was a loaded question. Ol Red came over here all huffy because in a different thread, I said his G36 was HUGE for a 6rd pistol. Apparently it offended him deeply

Not me... my Mule. :D

OpenYourEyes
10-02-2012, 11:19 PM
In regards to an ETA of the shield for Turner... i was just there today and asked and the guy said their Smith &Wesson rep had passed away so they haven't had as much contact as they'd like. But he said late October early November most likely

Ewcmr2
10-23-2012, 9:25 PM
anyone have a ETA on the Shield from Turner's?They called me today... Said S&W isn't producing them until December:mad:

RollingCode3
10-23-2012, 9:31 PM
:D

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii635/rollingcode/af022039.jpg

scootle
10-23-2012, 9:42 PM
I found this to be a pretty good comparison photo between a 9c and Shield (not my photo, sorry about the size :( ):

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Smith__Wesson_SW_MP_SHIELD_9mm_Sub-Compact_Pistol_MP9_NDIA_Joint_Armaments_2012_Defen seReview.com_DR_8.jpg

The main benefit I am finding with the 9c is that it retains compatibility with my FS in terms of magazines (in a pinch) and holster(s) should the need arise. Oh, and the 9c can mount a TLR-3 weaponlight, whereas the Shield has no rail at all, which may or may not be an issue for folks.

When I handled a Shield a little while back (non-CA compliant) I was not a big fan of the thumb safety... it seemed a little too small to be hit quickly under stress unless you are very well trained. This was the same complaint I had with the safety on the Ruger SR9c back when I was shopping for which pistol platform to settle upon.

Steph
10-23-2012, 9:46 PM
I'd still love to try one out somehow.

viet4lifeOC
10-23-2012, 9:54 PM
They called me today... Said S&W isn't producing them until December:mad:

NOoooooooooo.

Is your source reliable?

Ewcmr2
10-24-2012, 7:08 AM
NOoooooooooo.

Is your source reliable?Turners in Rancho Cucamonga. I ordered a shield two weeks ago, the sign on the display case said they would be in stock at the end of October. Jennifer called yesterday afternoon and left a voicemail about my order. I called back in the evening excited that it had arrived.... Wes informed me that S&W wasn't putting the CA shield into production until December.