View Full Version : Review new MK3 hunter Talo fluted 6.5" SS

09-02-2012, 9:10 AM
After getting off to a rocky start with the gun not functioning correctly I followed the instructions for removing the mag-disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. Now the gun cycles almost 100% with cheap walmart ammo and 100% with cci Ar-tactical.

In fact the AR-tactical shoots better than any ammo I have ever used. I shot the best group I have ever shot with this gun and this ammo.

I am going to order the VQ trigger and sear next week to make the gun shoot that much better. Although it shoots so well now the only thing that might improve is the gritty trigger pull.

The Talo version was hard to find and cost a few $$ to bring into state. You get hit hard with the 75 transfer fee at the local shops. Plus CA wants their pound of tax flesh.

All in all this is a great gun. I wanted the 4.5 inch for a better balance but I think this gun is more accurate with the longer sight radius.

I got worried that I might screw the tight group up and flinched on round 9. Dang it was almost perfect. Should have stopped at 5.

Jack L
09-02-2012, 9:37 AM
I have the same rig except mine is sporting a mini red dot. I had no issues with mine and left it stock except for the optics. I like the 6.5 barrel. Have fun.

09-02-2012, 1:17 PM
Another update. Now that the gun has aprox. 1,000rds through it I believe it is broken in. The gun will now cycly the bulk winchester 555 walmart ammo 100%. I shot aprox. 300+ rounds just now and not one single hiccup.

Awesome gun! Very happy with it. Not happy with ruger putting the safety stuff on the gun that caused malfunctions. Those pesky parts are gone now so no matter I guess.

09-04-2012, 9:30 AM
Great gun I just picked mine up a few days ago. it also needed some breaking in but after a box of ammo runs like a champ. BTW this is the standard MKIII Hunter not the talo version, I also spent some $ to get mine.