View Full Version : mossberg Silver Reserve Field O/U worth it?

09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Found one for 395 and i may be able to get it down some, its used but in amazing condition...looks brand new almost like its never been used...anyone have any experiance? Any opinions are welcome!

09-02-2012, 8:22 AM
I have no experience with the guns but from what I've seen and read they seem to be a fairly decent o/u in the budget range. For hunting purposes it is probably fine, but I'm not sure how it would handle high volume shooting for clay's.

For that price you cant go wrong. In fact if you don't get it yourself I would like to check it out for a field gun. Send me a PM if you decide not to get it with the guns location.

09-02-2012, 6:17 PM
Really? No one on here has any experience or knows someone? There's a let of mixed reviews online but I thought I would at least get some feedback here...oh well

09-02-2012, 9:26 PM
Getting to this thread kind of late.

They are okay, not great. Issues with firing pins are the chief complaint. There are several that show up at my club and most of them seem okay. One I saw just today, a 12 gauge, has been getting pretty heavy use and it seems to be having issues with the action cocking fully. One shooter I know well has a 28 and a .410 and he loves them both. He shoots a ton of trap with the .410 and he's had to have the lockup tuned up as it's gotten a bit loose over the tens of thousands of shots he's put through it. His 28 shoots like a dream, took me a few shots to get the hang of where it was shooting, but once I did it was solid and consistent.

Fit and finish are about what you'd expect for the price. I would consider them an okay entry level field gun. If I was going to have one in a 12 gauge and shoot a lot of clays with it I am not sure it would last in the long haul.

.300 Weatherby Mag
09-02-2012, 9:31 PM
For someone who shoots a few times a year and then takes it dove hunting they're alright... If you plan to shoot it much, don't waste you time... They wear out fast if you put a lot of rounds through them... They do have firing pin and trigger issues as well... Also, on every one of them I've shot the barrel regulation is pretty poor and the point of impact between the barrels can sometimes be measured in feet rather than inches...

09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, i dont shoot a ton but those are the issues ihave been reading about, i did really like the look ofthe gun but oh well, thanks again guys!