PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Barrel Question

GXIII
09-01-2012, 9:01 PM
This may sound obvious to you guys, so thought I'd ask so I know, but are we in CA allowed to have threaded barrels?

I really like the extended appearance of the barrel, and the cap on the threaded end.

If we are legal to have, or it doesn't matter, can anyone recommend a drop in barrel like this?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/USMC-to-be/CIMG0492.jpg

Again, answer might be obvious to you guys, but I am just learning along by asking questions, so thank you again in advance, and for any help you guys can give.

Picking up a M&P9 in a few days, have an X300 I will put right on it already.

nfong2684
09-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Threaded barrels are not legal in CA. I believe a threaded barrel constitutes an "assault weapon" which would make it a big no-no. I am sure there other much more legally knowledgeable individuals that can speak specifics. But te just of it is no threaded barrels in CA.

If you want extended barrels there are manufacturers of extended barrels with porting on the barrel for "recoil compensation". Not sure what the aftermarket barrel options are for the M&p 9, but I'm sure somebody makes competition barrels somewhere out there.

ODub
09-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Storm Lake and KKM are two companies that make match barrels with options for porting and threading. I'm not sure about the legality of the threading, though. If it is illegal, then are competition muzzle brakes/compensators required to be pinned or permanently attached?

The performance benefits of a longer barrel are negligible unless you plan to attach something to the barrel. Most modern factory powder loads are designed to burn completely in under 4", so don't expect much increase in bullet velocity with an extension. That being said, like what you like.

zfields
09-02-2012, 12:05 AM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

Quiet
09-02-2012, 8:29 AM
I'm not sure about the legality of the threading, though. If it is illegal, then are competition muzzle brakes/compensators required to be pinned or permanently attached?
Threaded barrels are prohibited on semi-auto pistols that uses detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

If the semi-auto pistol uses detachable magazines, then a muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to the threaded barrel.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.