PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CM9 Opinions

InGrAM
09-01-2012, 8:11 PM
My Father is contemplating buying a Kahr CM9 and wanted me to get some feed back before he does buy one.

My Brother has a CW9 and it has worked for him for a while now. I do not know the round count but it is probably under 1000 rounds with no malfunctions so far. My Brother and I like his CW9 a lot but My Father wants something a little smaller which leads us to the CM9. It looks pretty good to me and is small enough.

I was looking for anyone's opinion, experiences, etc.. with the firearm. Pros, cons, you catch my drift.

I have been trying to talk my Father into buying an M&P shield but he wants something smaller. NTM, he thinks the CA approved one is ugly as **** (which it is).

Thanks.

babe
09-01-2012, 8:29 PM
My husband has a Kahr PM9 and loves it. There are a few things to be aware of. Although I believe them to be very reliable, there are people who have reported jamming problems...and sometimes this starts to happen after 200 or 300 rounds. My husband had shot almost 500 rounds before he felt it was really 100% reliable.

The second thing is the capacity - 6 to 7. :( If this is going to be his home defense gun, then the closer to 10 rounds he can get, probably the better! But it is a very good gun, so enjoy :)

DRAB_81
09-01-2012, 8:57 PM
I have shot the PM9, which is pretty much the same thing, and it's a great little gun. Soft shooting, accurate & smooth DA trigger. Although I shot it well, I didn't really care for the DAO trigger. I recently bought an M&P Shield 9, and it's an amazing little single stack subcompact. It shoots even softer than the PM9, has a short reset trigger, and feels much better in my hands. I actually just cut off the striker block tab on the safety lever last night, so now it's impossible to accidentally engage the safety. If he's stuck on the Kahr, the CM9 is a great gun. If he's not in a hurry, I've seen a few PM9's for sale on here for not much more than a new CM9.

ETA: I assumed that if he could buy the CM9, he could also buy the non-CA M&P Shield, since they're both off-roster. Also, the M&P Shield is deceptively small. Look at the measurements & comparison pics, it's not much bigger than the PM/CM9.

Here's a PM9 on top of a M&P Shield (not mine):
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/3228E462-06FA-47CB-906E-2BC4476B2CB2-788-000000ABB30368D8.jpg

InGrAM
09-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I have shot the PM9, which is pretty much the same thing, and it's a great little gun. Soft shooting, accurate & smooth DA trigger. Although I shot it well, I didn't really care for the DAO trigger. I recently bought an M&P Shield 9, and it's an amazing little single stack subcompact. It shoots even softer than the PM9, has a short reset trigger, and feels much better in my hands. I actually just cut off the striker block tab on the safety lever last night, so now it's impossible to accidentally engage the safety. If he's stuck on the Kahr, the CM9 is a great gun. If he's not in a hurry, I've seen a few PM9's for sale on here for not much more than a new CM9.

ETA: I assumed that if he could buy the CM9, he could also buy the non-CA M&P Shield, since they're both off-roster. Also, the M&P Shield is deceptively small. Look at the measurements & comparison pics, it's not much bigger than the PM/CM9.

Here's a PM9 on top of a M&P Shield (not mine):
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/3228E462-06FA-47CB-906E-2BC4476B2CB2-788-000000ABB30368D8.jpg

Thank you for the response and the picture to go along with it. I will have to show him what you posted.

I have been trying to show him the size comparison between the two but he seems like be stuck on the Kahr which isn't a bad thing, IMO. I am glad that you think that the CM9 is a great gun. The only reason why I wanted him to look at the shield is because I know it will work. Or at least 95% sure it will function flawlessly.

Last year I gifted him a Kel-Tec PF9 because my P-11 has been fantastic for a daily CC gun for me. Well, the PF9 was a POS to say the least, we pretty much wasted 1500 +/- rounds on it trying to find any ammo, let alone SD ammo it would feed and extract reliably. I have read mixed reviews on the CW9 but they have been mostly good and I just don't want him getting a lemon or what I hope was a lemon again. I hate to see the old man disappointed, especially when it is a gift.

But, I think I am pushing the shield because I like S&W's and I have been eyeing one since they come out, lol. :rolleyes:

BTW, I thought your idea of removing the safety was a great one. How did removing the safety on the Shield work out for you? I am assuming you have been dry firing the hell out of it since you removed the safety.

DRAB_81
09-02-2012, 7:07 PM
The safety lever modification was stupid easy, and you can't really mess anything up in the process. I have probably dryfired it 500 times since I cut off the tab, and it feels great so far. It still takes the same amount of pressure to engage/disengage the safety lever itself, and nothing is loose. I made sure to polish up the rough spot really well, so that it wouldn't rub on anything. Everything feels exactly the same, except the fact that there isn't an operable safety anymore.

Here's a crappy iPhone video I took to show the modified safety lever in operation.
XahDy4rMAv4&feature

Watters Edge Design
09-20-2012, 2:06 PM
I have had a cw9 and now have a cm9.
Liked them both allot but sold the cw version to get the cm9.
Also have the p380 now too, but it is the goofy one for CA with the pop uploaded indicator. The pm9 and p380 have more finish and such, but that is about it.
If you can get your hands on a cm9 worth the effort and less $$ than the pm version.
I bought 2 longer mags, the bigger floorplates and a holster with cash left over for ammo.

Bug Splat
09-21-2012, 1:12 AM
Kahr makes my fav carry pistol, the K40/K9. IMO the all metal kahrs are much better pistols than the poly guns. Nothing wrong with the P9/Pm9/CW9 pistols, its just the K-series feels SOOOOOO much better in the hand and are as solid as a pistol gets.

k1dude
09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a PM9 and it has been flawless. When the Shield came out I went to handle one at a LGS - thinking it could potentially replace my PM9. It is quite a bit bigger than the PM9. The difference is far more dramatic than the photo shows. The photo above is unfair. The person placed the PM9 over the middle of the Shield. That is not a fair way to compare. To fairly compare the two, the PM9 must be placed all the way to the upper right corner of the Shield. Only then will you notice the full dimensional differences between the two.

Two dimensions primarily make a gun concealable. The thickness of the gun and the grip length. The Shield is both thicker and has a longer grip length than the Kahr - by quite a bit. At least you get one more round in the Shield for it's longer grip length. But, I was disappointed to find the Shield wasn't nearly as concealable as the PM9.

The only exception to choose the Shield over the PM9 might be for people with big hands. The Shield's longer grip length allows your pinky to wrap around the grip - unlike the PM9 where your pinky is hanging free. So if you're a big dude with big hands, the Shield might work out better for you. And if you're that big, you could probably conceal a hog leg and no one would notice. So the size difference between the Shield and the PM9 would be of little consequence to larger people.

The CM9 won't have polygonal rifling, but for the price difference and real world usage, who cares? It's especially nice if you're a smaller guy or thin. But if you're a big dude, you might want to consider the Shield.

ivsamhell
09-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I recently picked up a PM9 after getting rid of a Glock 27. Only 200 rounds through it so far but I like it, the 7 round mag has issues feeding the first round though, it floats and will not feed unless I make sure it is sitting at the correct angle. After watching the classifieds here for months I ended up getting it new for less than people were asking used.

golfrj
09-21-2012, 4:15 PM
go to the Kahr Forum and ask & Search the question, you will get lots of Owners answers...

jessegpresley
09-21-2012, 4:52 PM
There's a CW9 in the sale forum where the gun has about $300 worth of Robar upgrades. I'd have him get that one.

vintagearms
09-21-2012, 4:56 PM
Can't really speak about the CM9 but can say I really like my CW9. Been flawless so far. Not so with my other Kahr's Ive owned.

DRAB_81
09-21-2012, 9:30 PM
I have a PM9 and it has been flawless. When the Shield came out I went to handle one at a LGS - thinking it could potentially replace my PM9. It is quite a bit bigger than the PM9. The difference is far more dramatic than the photo shows. The photo above is unfair. The person placed the PM9 over the middle of the Shield. That is not a fair way to compare. To fairly compare the two, the PM9 must be placed all the way to the upper right corner of the Shield. Only then will you notice the full dimensional differences between the two.

Two dimensions primarily make a gun concealable. The thickness of the gun and the grip length. The Shield is both thicker and has a longer grip length than the Kahr - by quite a bit. At least you get one more round in the Shield for it's longer grip length. But, I was disappointed to find the Shield wasn't nearly as concealable as the PM9.

The only exception to choose the Shield over the PM9 might be for people with big hands. The Shield's longer grip length allows your pinky to wrap around the grip - unlike the PM9 where your pinky is hanging free. So if you're a big dude with big hands, the Shield might work out better for you. And if you're that big, you could probably conceal a hog leg and no one would notice. So the size difference between the Shield and the PM9 would be of little consequence to larger people.

The CW9 won't have polygonal rifling, but for the price difference and real world usage, who cares? It's especially nice if you're a smaller guy or thin. But if you're a big dude, you might want to consider the Shield.

I do agree that the Shield is bigger than the PM/CM9, but not to the point where you have to be a huge guy to conceal it, or have huge hands to shoot it. If the biggest, fattest gun that a guy can conceal is the PM9, he's gotta be 4'2" & 78lbs. These are tiny guns compared to the most common compact carry guns like the Glock 19. The Shield is .95" wide, and the Kahr's are .90" wide, so the width difference is negligible. I would say that the difference in triggers is a more important factor in the decision than size. Here are a few more comparison pics (also not mine).

Shield vs CW9
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/0974734B-DF51-4F78-B1E1-5F20660FFD47-607-000001105A8AA318_zps6684e548.jpg

Shield vs Glock 26
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/20257622-E28F-4003-B163-BD86E25F7C9B-607-0000011613B24089_zpsfd182629.jpg

Shield vs M&P 9C
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/AEB7118C-5585-4C02-82E9-DA3C555FF141-607-00000118EB9E6F18_zps7af80f1b.jpg

Shield vs LC9
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/E74BFFCC-8682-4723-946D-DB4CF9CF1427-607-000001161AB45854_zps09bd8745.jpg

k1dude
09-21-2012, 11:18 PM
If the biggest, fattest gun that a guy can conceal is the PM9, he's gotta be 4'2" & 78lbs. These are tiny guns compared to the most common compact carry guns like the Glock 19.

I'm 6', 160lbs with a 40" chest and a 30" waist. During the summer in T-shirts and shorts, the PM9 is the largest I can get away with - unless I want to print badly. I also have a G19, which I can basically only carry in the winter with a coat - unless I want to print badly.

DRAB_81
09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm 6', 160lbs with a 40" chest and a 30" waist. During the summer in T-shirts and shorts, the PM9 is the largest I can get away with - unless I want to print badly. I also have a G19, which I can basically only carry in the winter with a coat - unless I want to print badly.

I'll take your word for it. That sucks man, I would have never thought a Shield/CW9 sized gun would print badly for anyone. I'm 6'/225 with a 48" chest & 38" waist, so I know that makes a difference. I have no problem making a G20SF disappear under a normal size T-Shirt. I don't wear "smedium's" or XXXL shirts. Have you ever tried AIWB?

k1dude
09-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I have no problem making a G20SF disappear under a normal size T-Shirt. I don't wear "smedium's" or XXXL shirts. Have you ever tried AIWB?

WOW! I carry a G20SF when I'm in the backcountry. I can't imagine trying to conceal one on myself.

IWB doesn't work at all for me. I'd have to buy 32" or 34" waist pants and belts, which means I'd need a whole new wardrobe specifically for carry. And trust me, it looks funky as hell when I'm trying to wear bigger pants around an IWB gun. It just flat out looks really really weird. Not good at all. And I basically have no body fat, so the IWB holster just presses up against hard stuff that doesn't feel good in the least. I have no cushion whatsoever to help conceal the gun and prevent it from grinding into bones.

DRAB_81
09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
WOW! I carry a G20SF when I'm in the backcountry. I can't imagine trying to conceal one on myself.

IWB doesn't work at all for me. I'd have to buy 32" or 34" waist pants and belts, which means I'd need a whole new wardrobe specifically for carry. And trust me, it looks funky as hell when I'm trying to wear bigger pants around an IWB gun. It just flat out looks really really weird. Not good at all. And I basically have no body fat, so the IWB holster just presses up against hard stuff that doesn't feel good in the least. I have no cushion whatsoever to help conceal the gun and prevent it from grinding into bones.

That makes sense now, I was stuck on IWB for some reason. I can definitely see how carrying OWB with your body type changes things.

dougd1015
09-22-2012, 5:29 AM
I have the PM 9 and it has an incredible trigger for this kind of gun.

Bug Splat
09-23-2012, 11:52 PM
I do agree that the Shield is bigger than the PM/CM9, but not to the point where you have to be a huge guy to conceal it, or have huge hands to shoot it. If the biggest, fattest gun that a guy can conceal is the PM9, he's gotta be 4'2" & 78lbs. These are tiny guns compared to the most common compact carry guns like the Glock 19. The Shield is .95" wide, and the Kahr's are .90" wide, so the width difference is negligible. I would say that the difference in triggers is a more important factor in the decision than size. Here are a few more comparison pics (also not mine).

Shield vs CW9
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/0974734B-DF51-4F78-B1E1-5F20660FFD47-607-000001105A8AA318_zps6684e548.jpg

Not to piss in your cheerios but the CW9 is not a CM9. The CM9 is much smaller and can fit in that little pocket on a pair of jeans. My cell phone is bigger lol.

Top to bottom.... M&P9 (full-size), M&P9 Shield, Kahr CM9
http://i.imgur.com/dW2Ky.jpg

CM9, M&P9 Shield
http://i.imgur.com/t27Cw.jpg

Bug Splat
09-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Here is a nice video comparing the smallest 9mm Kahr (Pm9/CM9) and the smallest M&P9 (Shield)

3UuFidpwtxI

DRAB_81
09-24-2012, 8:34 AM
Not to piss in your cheerios but the CW9 is not a CM9. The CM9 is much smaller and can fit in that little pocket on a pair of jeans. My cell phone is bigger lol.

Not pissing in my Cheerios at all, if you read the whole thread, you'd see that I know that. I have owned a PM9 (gave it to my Dad) & a Shield, so I'm well aware of the differences in size.