PDA

View Full Version : 16" barrel for 1911 for sale. Interesting!

Squid
09-01-2012, 8:06 PM
If I cut off 1/2" before installing would I then just have a legal 1911 with a longish barrel?

If I keep it at rifle length 16" and add(weld) a (skeleton) stock onto the back strap of a cheap (but decent) 1911, what hoops would I need to jump through to make it a legal long gun?

What if I Bubba-dize a bullet button onto the doner 1911?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=303926554

keenkeen
09-01-2012, 8:21 PM
Best use for this is to cut a few inches off and use it as part of a 1911 SSE kit...

The gift that keeps on giving.

;)

Squid
09-01-2012, 8:33 PM
http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=C45016

they got 9 and 6" too.

but would it be CA legal to put bullet button on 1911 and weld a shoulder stock and have a 1911 carbine?

unusedusername
09-01-2012, 9:08 PM
Sure it would be legal as long as you never convert it back up a pistol.

Pistol -> rifle -> pistol is now legal federally, but probably will trigger state SBR laws.

Press Check
09-01-2012, 9:17 PM
Best use for this is to cut a few inches off and use it as part of a 1911 SSE kit...

The gift that keeps on giving.

;)

LOL.

Munk
09-01-2012, 9:47 PM
It's still a pistol, even with a 16, or 20, or 50 inch barrel according to CA. (the description of a pistol includes handguns that have barrels over 16" that can be readily replaced with a barrel under 16".)
As used in this title, the terms "pistol," "revolver," and "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person" shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. These terms also include any device that has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length

If you permaweld a stock to it, you damn well better have an over 16" barrel and a length exceeding 26", and a bullet button. Detachable mag semi-auto, with a pistol grip = AW. Bullet button means no more detachable mag. so it's good to go.

As unusedusername said, Federally, you could swap back and forth without issue. However, CA doesn't know what to think of a pistol that became a rifle and is trying to go back, because it was considered a rifle for a time, they might consider it an SBR. This is entirely untested water and is dangerous to test due to horrible ambiguous wording about the scenario.