PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 problems?

USMC 82-86
09-01-2012, 6:42 PM
I am looking at getting a new shotgun. I am looking at the 870 tactical just a bead front sight or the Mossberg 590A1 bead front sight. I just like the simple setup. I found a good deal on the 870 but I have heard the new ones are having issues. I like the Mossberg, but the 870 is about $140 less than the Mossberg. I don't really care about all the after market items available for the 870, like I stated I like my shotguns plain and simple.

If anyone has the new 870 I would like to know about your experience. I know they ride in police cruisers and they have for many years, but being locked in a patrol car and being fired a few times a year does not really impress me. I just want the feedback of those who own the new 870 express tactical.

BigDogatPlay
09-01-2012, 7:51 PM
99% of the problems reported with newer 870 Express guns is easily corrected at home with the tips shown at this web page. (http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html) The 870 is a solid, proven design with over 10 million units made and in use around the world. I've owned several over the years and own one now that I'd bet my life on any day.

That said the Mossberg 5xx guns are also a time tested and battle proven design. I own a 30+ year old Mossberg 500 with a couple of different barrels. It is very much a do everything gun for me. Either one will serve your purpose well. If price is the deciding factor, buy the Mossberg and don't feel like you've shorted yourself.

If what you are looking at is the newest 870 variant with the longer magazine tube, bear in mind that if you want to do anything else with the gun and desire to change to a different length barrel, you will not be able to at this point.

ICONIC
09-01-2012, 7:56 PM
Can't go wrong with either one. A buddy has one of the new 870's, no issues so far.

USMC 82-86
09-01-2012, 8:05 PM
Thanks. The Mossberg is more expensive than the 870 I am looking at right now. The 870 by the way has the shorter magazine tube. I don't really care to make any changes to the gun. I really like the 590 line in the Mossberg, but I may go with the 870 to save some money. Will see if I get more input.

trew10
09-01-2012, 8:05 PM
If you want a simple shotgun get the mossberg 500 it is simple, reliable and cheaper then the 870. Got mine a month ago over 500 shells through it mainly bird shot and no problems. Also has a 10 year warranty.

CK_32
09-01-2012, 8:06 PM
Dont listen to the internet...

Youll go a long way.. Most posters dont even own firearms they post problems about...

Its either I heard.. or I read or A friend of a friend said.. And fr all you know its one story told by 50 people and and you heard 20 of those people refer the same gun..

If I listened my DPMS LPK on my AR should have warn years ago.. 6K rounds (5.56/22lr) and counting. More than most of the guys talking down on DPMS LPKs can say with their so highly recommended parts..

My 2 870s.. Yea Every few I got a sticky action with Winchester bulk.. So did my cousins and friends 500/590.. 300 rounds of federal bulk federal game shot fiocci and estate and runs flawless.

In short its a great gun.. Just dont buy BS ammo and blame the gun.. Its the ammo and even then its a quick fix touch up..

590/870 are solid guns so is the 500 which im also a huge fan of for the price.

kentactic
09-02-2012, 11:03 AM
When i got my new 870 express about a year ago all ammo regaurdless of quality would jam in the chamber and id have to strong arm the action open. My friends identical gun purchased maybe 2 years ago does the same thing.

I called remington and they were very familiar with the issue they pump out on most of their guns without care so they gladly paid shipping both ways to polish the chamber for me to correct the issue.

Other then the fact that remington seems carless and continues to sell thousands of these shotguns with this issue i love my 870 NOW and dont regret my purchase. If i was you id just buy the gun and immediatly have it sent in to have the chamber polished at their cost just for the hell of it.

Great gun though, id pick that over the mossberg if i had the choice again as i like the ability to reset the round in the tube for slug changeovers.

inbox485
09-09-2012, 3:23 AM
Both Mossberg and Remington have had QC issues for some time now. Usually it is fit and finish stuff that is user correctable. It is what it is. People will say one or the other sucks because of some random experience or say so of a third uncle removed.

EssDee
09-09-2012, 5:20 AM
I love my 870.
No issues period.

Dallas1188
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
purchased my 870 express mag as an 18th birthday present to myself. In 7 years I have never had a problem with it. the wide variety of aftermarket products and 60 years of reliability is what sold me on the gun, and i've been thoroughly satisfied since. Only 2 issues have come up with my 870. The matte bead blast bluing that came on my HD gun isn't that tough, and after years of use its worn away slightly on spots by the barrel band and slide, partly because of an aftermarket mesa tac barrel band w/ rails. The other issue, which was previously mentioned, is that one box of Win bird shot (the wally bulk 100 rnd ****) was sticking in the gun when trying to eject shells. I was able to pump out the shells with some xtra force on the slide, and the problem seemed to subside once i put about 20 shells thru and the gun heated up. I've never had that problem with any other ammo, including the federal bulk ammo or any other type of win ammo like super X. i just don't buy winchester universal bulk anymore.

Mossbergs are great too, and you really can't go wrong with either. The 590A1 is the only commercially available pump gun that has met mil-spec standard, and I believe has a parkerized or atleast more durable finish. Rem has a mil spec version also, the 870mcs which is really the same gun just parkerized and modified with AM leo parts, but not available outside the mil-leo market. Either won't let you down and I'd trust my life to an 870 or 590A1.

JustEd
09-09-2012, 1:36 PM
Had an 870 VR for years and used it for casual trap. It worked but always had a problem withe the forend stock rotating and rubbing against the barrel. It was easy to keep moving it back and tightening the nut, but a pain. Looked at an 870 x yesterday factory set up as a home defense gun with mag extension and rubber stocks. Guess what, the rubber forend rubbed so hard on the receiver it was leaving marks on the finish.

Yes, Yes, Yes 870's are bulletproof, but this was my observation.

Flowmini98
09-09-2012, 8:35 PM
My 870 has a simple single bead sight and a side saddle. Ive put 400-500+cheap wallymart birdshot through it, some remington 000/00 buckshot, and some slugs through it and ive had no issues, a handful of failure to eject when my 12 year old racks the pump like a sissy!

mbt
09-09-2012, 8:58 PM
870 Express seem cheaply built. If price wasn't an issue, I'd get the Mossberg 590A1 Milspec.

If price was an issue, I'd look for an older 870 or a Norinco 870 clone.

Express is made with plastic and MIM steel and cost 2x more than stronger steel Norinco 870 clones.

With Remington, they've taken cost cutting to shoddy levels. Either get their high end or avoid them all together.

super_chief
09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I've got the new style 870 express

Upgraded the extractor to the forged model featured on Police models
Also stronger carrier dog follower spring and magazine spring.

Initially broke it down and gave it a quick look through for anything out of the norm. Then proceeded to run 200 shells through it and noticed a bit of ejection issue, tough to eject - cheap shells at fault namely.

Gave it a thorough cleaning and lube. Noticed some sharp burrs in the receiver and lightly sanded them down. Polished the chamber to aid in ejection of spent shells.

It's ran beautifully since with those simple touch ups. I've added a jumbo safety, delrin follower, and Hogue overmold stock & forend. Side saddle in the future.

jyo
09-10-2012, 5:51 PM
You can often find nice older used 870s for decent prices on the for sale threads right here on CalGuns---you can't wear them out and you can add any goodies you want later.

inbox485
09-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Going used with a pump shotgun usually just means that somebody else broke it in for you. I don't care if you rip through ammo non stop, rust will get to these things before they actually fail.

.300 Weatherby Mag
09-11-2012, 7:55 PM
Either get their high end or avoid them all together.

Even that does not guarantee you a trouble free gun.... Remington gave up trying to fix an 870 Wingmaster I purchased new several years ago... They sent me a new 870 Wingmaster to replace it... It had to have the chamber reamed out (yes reamed out not polished) and have the rim cut deepened so it would chamber rounds... Pretty pathetic if you ask me... They give up trying to fix one Wingmaster only to send me a new one that doesn't work...

350skylark
09-12-2012, 2:22 PM
I dont have the tactical model but the only problems ive experienced were with the Winchester bulk crap at walmart, everything else functions fine, the Winchester would literally lock up the action and sometimes the rim would break before it was extracted.