PDA

View Full Version : Sig Nitron Rail Shoots Left - Update - Back From Sig

mlgs00
09-01-2012, 1:35 PM
I have about 700 rounds through my Sig Nitron Rail 1911. Since the first shot, this gun has shot about 2 to 3 inches left at 10 yards. I have had much better shooters try the gun, and their results are also to the left. Since I own and shoot six 1911 pistols, I am comfortable stating that it is the gun and not me. Now, as to what is causing it. At first, I figured the sights were off, but they appear to be centered correctly. After my last field strip of the pistol, I noticed an unusual wear pattern on the inside of the barrel bushing. There is a very distinct area where the finish is worn down to bare metal. If you are behind the gun looking down the slide, the wear mark is at the 4 o'clock position on the barrel bushing. Could this rubbing of the barrel against the bushing be what is causing the POI to be 3" to the left at 9 o'clock? Of my six 1911s, four have barrel bushings. None of the others display any wear patterns like this.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm345/miksal_99/IMG_2944.jpg

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm345/miksal_99/IMG_2945.jpg

Bryansix
09-01-2012, 1:41 PM
If I were you I would contact Sig. Sure you could fix it yourself but why not have them do it for you for free?

Fjold
09-01-2012, 1:47 PM
How does it group?

If it shoots tight groups I would just move the rear sight.

mlgs00
09-01-2012, 1:49 PM
If I were you I would contact Sig. Sure you could fix it yourself but why not have them do it for you for free?

I planned to send them an email today with pictures attached. However, their customer service department can only be contacted by phone Monday through Friday during EST business hours or by snail mail. Since I won't be able to reach them until Tuesday, I thought I would get a few opinions from experienced 1911 owners?

SilverTauron
09-01-2012, 1:51 PM
I planned to send them an email today with pictures attached. However, their customer service department can only be contacted by phone Monday through Friday during EST business hours or by snail mail. Since I won't be able to reach them until Tuesday, I thought I would get a few opinions from experienced 1911 owners?

Its warrantied, so send it back. Im new to 1911s, but even if it were a Sig P-series that's a wise idea. The problem could be jacked up sights, a jacked up frame, a jacked up barrel, or any number of problems.Instead of playing troubleshooter, bite the bullet and send the thing back to the factory to puzzle over. Just be sure to ask the factory what the problem was, curious minds on here want to know!

mlgs00
09-01-2012, 1:54 PM
How does it group?

If it shoots tight groups I would just move the rear sight.

It actually groups pretty well, just to the left of POA. In reality I have two problems with the gun, not just one. Sure it shoots left and adjusting the sight might correct that. However, there is also an unusual wear pattern that would still be a problem. If correcting THAT problem also corrects the POA vs POI problem, wouldn't it make more sense to go that direction?

9mmepiphany
09-01-2012, 2:34 PM
It is more likely that the barrel wasn't fitted correctly than that there is something wrong with the bushing.

Just curious, have you tried shooting it with the bushing of one of your other 1911s installed to see it it affects the location of the group?

mlgs00
09-01-2012, 2:56 PM
It is more likely that the barrel wasn't fitted correctly than that there is something wrong with the bushing.

Just curious, have you tried shooting it with the bushing of one of your other 1911s installed to see it it affects the location of the group?

I haven't been able to go shooting again since I noticed the wear marks. I honestly didn't think about trying a bushing from another gun.

mlgs00
09-25-2012, 3:29 PM
I just received the pistol back from Sig today. After evaluating it, they replaced the barrel bushing and adjusted the sights. The 15 yard test target they included shows a 1.5" grouping of 5 shots on the bullseye. As a little bonus, Sig included three new magazines. Thank you, Sig! It took only 11 days for the gun to get to Sig, get fixed and make it back to me. Great service. I can't wait until Saturday to go to the range and try it out.

Eljay
09-25-2012, 6:45 PM
Very nice - there have definitely been some questions about their quality control but it's good to hear that their service has been really good lately. Definitely lowers the risk of getting a stinker if they'll fix it promptly.

Jyruiz
09-25-2012, 7:36 PM
I just received the pistol back from Sig today. After evaluating it, they replaced the barrel bushing and adjusted the sights. The 15 yard test target they included shows a 1.5" grouping of 5 shots on the bullseye. As a little bonus, Sig included three new magazines. Thank you, Sig! It took only 11 days for the gun to get to Sig, get fixed and make it back to me. Great service. I can't wait until Saturday to go to the range and try it out.

Sucks you had to go thru that, but sounds like Sig has great CS.