PDA

View Full Version : .22 "evil features" exempted?

rickster1269
08-31-2012, 10:52 PM
I just bought a Ruger 10/22 tactical here in CA that, as you know, comes with a threaded birdcage style flash hider and a 10 round rotary mag with standard mag release. Red flag! Is the rimfire exempt from the flowchart I am used to following?

Damiiaaannn
08-31-2012, 10:57 PM
yes

rickster1269
08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Ah thank you, going tacticool

Chaos47
08-31-2012, 11:03 PM
You are good to go.

Threaded barrels are not an evil feature on rifles for either centerfire or rimfire.
On semiautomatic centerfire rifles it is the flash hider that is the evil feature.
On semiautomatic pistols threaded barrels are an evil feature.

The AWB law pertains to semiautomatic centerfire rifles.
For semiautomatic pistols it pertains to both centerfire and rimfire.

But you should note that rimfires are not exempt from magazine capacity laws.
(except 22 caliber tube fed)

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

12020. (25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

rickster1269
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
DOH! thx Chaos

ca2111usmc
09-02-2012, 9:02 AM
You are good to go.

Threaded barrels are not an evil feature on rifles for either centerfire or rimfire.
On semiautomatic centerfire rifles it is the flash hider that is the evil feature.
On semiautomatic pistols threaded barrels are an evil feature.

The AWB law pertains to semiautomatic centerfire rifles.
For semiautomatic pistols it pertains to both centerfire and rimfire.

But you should note that rimfires are not exempt from magazine capacity laws.
(except 22 caliber tube fed)

So I have a couple 10/22's. One is older (pre ban) and I have multiple high capacity magazines that were purchased in the '80s and '90s. Am I breaking a law by using said mags either in the old or newer rifle? I thought since I had them before the law was passed.

Quiet
09-02-2012, 9:03 AM
So I have a couple 10/22's. One is older (pre ban) and I have multiple high capacity magazines that were purchased in the '80s and '90s. Am I breaking a law by using said mags either in the old or newer rifle? I thought since I had them before the law was passed.

No. You are not breaking the law by using the large capacity magazines that you have legally owned since before 01-01-2000.

Chaos47
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

No I put the magazine part because it is common to see people thinking that rimfire is exempt from the ban on acquiring new magazines.

There is no capacity restriction for rimfires (unless it is a magazine locked semiautomatic rimfire pistol)

Possession and use of regular capacity magazines is not illegal. (unless in a magazine locked firearm as those are limited to 10 rounds)