PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 Tactical failure to feed

Rimfire123
08-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Took my brand new RIA 1911 tactical to the range today and put around 70 rounds, i had around 10+ failure to feeds. It looks like the slide stop is engaging randomly while shooting, which is causing failure to feeds. I checked with 3 different mags all did the same.

Did any of you guys have or had this issue? Any idea?

Thanks

wash
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
The slide stop needs a slight dimple for the slide stop detent to engage.

Too much and the mag follower won't be able to activate the slide stop, too little and the slide stop can pop up from time to time.

That's quality control...

Rimfire123
08-31-2012, 10:35 PM
The slide stop needs a slight dimple for the slide stop detent to engage.

Too much and the mag follower won't be able to activate the slide stop, too little and the slide stop can pop up from time to time.

That's quality control...

You mean the issue is with slide? the cut for slide stop?
thanks

jrara
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
I think you should to send in the gun for warranty work just to get it running 100%.

They have good customer service.

Shapes And Colors
08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Are you using a thumbs forward grip? It could be as simple as your hand placement pushing the lever up just enough to catch. Did you try shooting left handed?

cindynles
08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
1911's need a break in period. I would wait until you have at least 500 rounds through it before calling the customer service line.

You could also try better mags (Tripp, Wilson Combat ETM, or Chip Power Mags). 1911s are picky about mags.

Rimfire123
08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Are you using a thumbs forward grip? It could be as simple as your hand placement pushing the lever up just enough to catch. Did you try shooting left handed?

Yes, one my friend tried shooting left handed as well.

Ducman
08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
1911's need a break in period. I would wait until you have at least 500 rounds through it before calling the customer service line.

You could also try better mags (Tripp, Wilson Combat ETM, or Chip Power Mags). 1911s are picky about mags.

This

Rimfire123
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it OK to use reloads to break in? or do i need factory loads?

wash
08-31-2012, 11:20 PM
You mean the issue is with slide? the cut for slide stop?
thanks
No, the slide stop.

That's the pin with a lever on it that holds the barrel link to the frame.

cindynles
08-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Is it OK to use reloads to break in? or do i need factory loads?

Any rounds that cycle the slide will work. You are trying to wear the moving parts against each other.

markw
09-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm betting you were shooting 230gr round nose. If so, it's the slide stop. You can put a dimple in it, but the real problem is the interference between the stop and the nose of the bullet. You can see where this is happening by taking the slide off the gun, and setting that whole assembly aside. Then take the frame and put the slide stop back in so you can see the magwell and where the rounds come up. Take a magazine with a round in it that was causing the problem and you'll see where the round will brush against the slide stop. What I did was take a jewelers file to the slide stop where that contact was being made and removed material/clearanced the slide stop there. You have to keep in mind that the magazine follower still needs to push up on the slide stop to lock the slide back after the last round is shot. Since doing this mine has been fine.

redcliff
09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm betting you were shooting 230gr round nose. If so, it's the slide stop. You can put a dimple in it, but the real problem is the interference between the stop and the nose of the bullet. You can see where this is happening by taking the slide off the gun, and setting that whole assembly aside. Then take the frame and put the slide stop back in so you can see the magwell and where the rounds come up. Take a magazine with a round in it that was causing the problem and you'll see where the round will brush against the slide stop. What I did was take a jewelers file to the slide stop where that contact was being made and removed material/clearanced the slide stop there. You have to keep in mind that the magazine follower still needs to push up on the slide stop to lock the slide back after the last round is shot. Since doing this mine has been fine.

I agree; it's an easy check. The slide stop nub has to protrude in enough for the magazine follower to lift it, but not so far that the feeding rounds hit it. Reloaded ammo with possibly different bullet shapes seem to exacerbate the problem.

However, it's not a "Failure to Feed" malfunction, its a "premature slide lock" issue, if you send it in for warranty correction it will be easier if you use a term they expect for the problem.

Raptor3000
09-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I agree; it's an easy check. The slide stop nub has to protrude in enough for the magazine follower to lift it, but not so far that the feeding rounds hit it. Reloaded ammo with possibly different bullet shapes seem to exacberate the problem.

However, it's not a "Failure to Feed" malfunction, its a "premature slide lock" issue, if you send it in for warranty correction it will be easier if you use a term they expect for the problem.

shall I ask RIA to just send me a slide stop?

MADNCRZYDM
09-01-2012, 12:38 AM
When I had a RIA 1911 and the slide would never return to battery fully i had that problem.

markw
09-01-2012, 1:07 AM
Slide stops are cheap. It's not a hard thing to do and it's common across the 1911 platform, not just an RIA problem. It mainly has to do with the larger 230gr rounds. You don't have to remove much material. With the slide removed you'll see where the bullet contacts the stop.

Rimfire123
09-01-2012, 1:47 PM

I see wear mark on the side of the slide stop, side portion of slide stop that pushes the slide stop up when the mag is empty. I see the the mag follower pushes the slide stop from below to keep the slide open, little confused i see wear mark on the side not below, do i need to file the side which has the wear mark?

markw
09-01-2012, 5:49 PM
Does it look like copper? Pull your slide off the gun, put the slide stop back in, and put a magazine in with a round in it. (slide off to prevent an ND). Now look at where the round would contact the slide stop as it would feed. That is where you remove some material. If you put an empty magazine in, you'll see where the follower hits the slide stop, that will be forward of where the round would hit it. The follower hits underneath the slide stop, and the round will contact the side of the stop as it is chambered.

InGrAM
09-01-2012, 7:46 PM

This is what I am thinking as well.

Rimfire123
09-01-2012, 8:17 PM
Does it look like copper? Pull your slide off the gun, put the slide stop back in, and put a magazine in with a round in it. (slide off to prevent an ND). Now look at where the round would contact the slide stop as it would feed. That is where you remove some material. If you put an empty magazine in, you'll see where the follower hits the slide stop, that will be forward of where the round would hit it. The follower hits underneath the slide stop, and the round will contact the side of the stop as it is chambered.

I checked removing the slide and putting back slidestop and it looks like the copper is rubbing on the side. I think its happening while feeding, when the round is in the mag i see lot of gap between nose of the round and the side of slide stop.

thanks

markw
09-02-2012, 1:16 AM
What I did was strip a round with my thumb to see what path it'd take going up the feed ramp. As the round goes up and forward that's when it will contact.

Mark

Rimfire123
09-02-2012, 2:10 AM
What I did was strip a round with my thumb to see what path it'd take going up the feed ramp. As the round goes up and forward that's when it will contact.

Mark

Will it be OK to file very slightly the side that has copper mark?

redcliff
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Will it be OK to file very slightly the side that has copper mark?

Yes, just take it slow and dont overdue it.

markw
09-02-2012, 1:38 PM
Yes, where the nose of the round contacts the slide stop is where you want to remove the material. Just use a jewelers file, take a little bit, then check the clearance. It doesn't take much. I had to do it a couple times on mine. It works flawlessly now with both CMC and the stock magazine.

Rimfire123
09-03-2012, 5:24 PM
I filed the side of the slide stop that has copper mark. Gun had fewer premature slide locks, around 4 in 100 rounds.

POINTMANDDT
09-03-2012, 5:48 PM
I filed the side of the slide stop that has copper mark. Gun had fewer premature slide locks, around 4 in 100 rounds.

Don't do anything to your firearm it should work right out of the box. Send it back to the manufacture.
This is not directed toward you. But, I've never seen so many excuses made for the 1911 platform.

1. There is a break in period
2. Check the tension on the extractor
3. Try different mags
4. You didn't use enough lube or you added too much lube
5.your limp wristing
Edit 6. You own a kimber that's why

I love the feel and look of the 1911 as much as the next guy, but from a reliability standpoint, not so much. I've only seen 1911's have issues at matches or at the range. I own a 1911 and glocks. So far I my glocks have had thousand of rounds with zero, yes zero issues and my kimber maybe 600-700 with two fte, which is good from what I understand. To the OP I hope you can return it and get them to fix it for free.

POINTMANDDT
09-03-2012, 5:56 PM
I think you should to send in the gun for warranty work just to get it running 100%.

They have good customer service.

What he said^^^^

Cyc Wid It
09-03-2012, 6:04 PM
Don't do anything to your firearm it should work right out of the box. Send it back to the manufacture.
This is not directed toward you. But, I've never seen so many excuses made for the 1911 platform.

3. Try different mags
5.your limp wristing

I love the feel and look of the 1911 as much as the next guy, but from a reliability standpoint, not so much. I've only seen 1911's have issues at matches or at the range. I own a 1911 and glocks. So far I my glocks have had thousand of rounds with zero, yes zero issues and my kimber maybe 600-700 with two fte, which is good from what I understand. To the OP I hope you can return it and get them to fix it for free.

You own a Kimber. That's why.

ASTMedic
09-03-2012, 6:06 PM
Send it to RIA. They are SUPER good with customer service. Call them and they'll set up a pick up the next day.

It does sound as if the top round in the mag is contacting the inside tip of the slide lock. When it does this it pushes it upward and locks the slide. Easy fix if you so choose or send it to RIA.

POINTMANDDT
09-03-2012, 6:33 PM
You own a Kimber. That's why.

6. You own a kimber that's why.:p

markw
09-03-2012, 6:37 PM

You can probably take a bit more off. If you look at it, the front part of the slide lock is what the magazine follower hits.

Rimfire123
09-03-2012, 7:39 PM

3. Try different mags
5.your limp wristing
Edit 6. You own a kimber that's why

I totally agree with you, I too have a Glock 17 and this is my shooter 1911. I wanted a 1911 for 45ACP instead of another Glock or XD just for a change.

Rimfire123
09-03-2012, 7:44 PM
You can probably take a bit more off. If you look at it, the front part of the slide lock is what the magazine follower hits.

You are right, filing side of the slide stop should not have any affect on functionality.

Horton Fenty
09-03-2012, 7:53 PM
If it was my gun I'd call the manufacturer and see what they say, after that you'll have a better idea if you want to try and fix it yourself.

wash
09-03-2012, 8:18 PM
I agree every gun should run right out of the box but you bought an RIA.

Fix it or send it back, whatever.

Just hope that something more serious doesn't go wrong.

t0kie
09-03-2012, 8:35 PM
Just like others have said, send it back & have them fixed it for you.

Don't get discourage because some poeple feel Glock is more superior than 1911. Relax, & enjoy yours.
I also own both & they both reliable, but I like my 1911 much more because:
nothing beats the trigger pull, the look & the history of it.
Oh, one more: speaking of reliability...1911 has gone to many wars & many of our soldiers trust their lives on it but I haven't heard that Glock has been carried by our soldiers, does it tell us something? :)

wash
09-03-2012, 8:51 PM
Comparing a Glock and a 1911 doesn't really work because they excel in different areas.

Comparing a 1911 and an RIA just isn't fair.

t0kie
09-03-2012, 8:53 PM
Comparing a Glock and a 1911 doesn't really work because they excel in different areas.

Comparing a 1911 and an RIA just isn't fair.

This^^^, totally agree with you wash, well described!

curtru
09-03-2012, 9:38 PM
B4 you send it out have someone else shoot it possibly someone with experience shooting and training maybe its how you hold her or where you put your fingers

Raptor3000
09-03-2012, 9:40 PM
Call RIA and see what they have to say.

Rimfire123
09-03-2012, 9:43 PM
Will call RIA tomorrow

Rimfire123
09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Issue resolved RIA sent me a new slide stop.

ASTMedic
09-08-2012, 4:46 PM
Good to hear. RIA has been VERY nice to deal with so far.