View Full Version : Painting tech-sight front post.

08-31-2012, 1:27 PM
I should probably post this in another forum for more eyeballs, but whatever.

I just got tech-sights for my Marlin 795. I plan to do shoot mostly silhouettes and I think the black front post is going to be a little hard to see against the black targets. I want to paint them white or something, but was wondering what the best way to go about it is. I was thinking of using white out or nail polish, but was wondering what other people did to theirs.

This is sort of a side story, but after I put on the sights, I was messing around with the sights at home trying to figure out how to adjust the rear sight. I took it with me for a trip to an indoor range (I was actually doing DROs on another gun there) just to roughly sight it in. My first 2 shots at 20 yards were right in the bullseye, offhand! What are the odds that my fiddling around with it would be dead on? =). I shot 50 rounds through it without touching the sight adjustments, and it was as accurate as I can shoot it. Going to do some bench shooting in the next week or two to zero it in at 50 yards.

08-31-2012, 1:56 PM
I just use model paint. I use yellow, since that's brighter for me than white. If you search, you can find special glow paint for sights, but they won't be as cheap as nail polish or model paint.

Make sure you're careful painting, and it helps to have the gun upside down as the paint dries. Unfortunately, before I learned, I put too much paint on one, and it ran a bit on the barrel.

08-31-2012, 8:40 PM
If the front post is an AR-15 style (as the 10/22 tech sites are) you can buy various different shaped and color posts from places like Brownells.