PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Ruger MKII

7.62x63mmUS
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Well I finally did it... I broke the mainspring housing latch assembly on my Ruger MK II. This gun was never easy to get together like a lot of Ruger MK I,II,III's. I think it's funny that Ruger's own tutorial videos suggest the use of a hammer to get the barrel off and to get the latch assembly back in. I've always had to had to beat the living crap out of mine. I really wanted another 22 pistol and was thinking about the SR22 or SP101, but I'm real pissed at Ruger right now to say the least. Buckmark maybe? Just want a durable plinker that doesn't take a gorilla with a degree in mechanical engineering to get back together. I love all the other Rugers I have but this one has always been a bear to reassemble. Looks like I'm spending 27.99 on the replacement part:mad:

Vash357
08-31-2012, 3:36 PM
You might look into getting one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/291128/majestic-arms-speed-strip-kit-ruger-mark-i-ii-22-45-models

Makes it super easy to disassemble for cleaning, just unscrew the pin, pull it out the top and pull the bolt out the back. No more messing around with the mainspring housing at all. I've got the 3.2 version for my MKIII that removes the mag disconect as well, which just makes it even better.

7.62x63mmUS
08-31-2012, 3:46 PM
Wow! Thanks I was completely ignorant of this. You made my day.

Jeepers
08-31-2012, 4:03 PM
i have never had to use a hammer on a ruger mk#.. so where this link to the ruger vid that says to use a hammer ?

anywho sorry to hear about your issues and will gladly take your MKII off your hands and promise never to use a hammer on it again :cool:

trew10
08-31-2012, 4:07 PM
Guess I won't be getting one I was looking at them as I have a 9 mm ruger..

44fred
08-31-2012, 4:07 PM
I just have the neighbor kid clean mine, he's 12 now.

7.62x63mmUS
08-31-2012, 5:27 PM
i have never had to use a hammer on a ruger mk#.. so where this link to the ruger vid that says to use a hammer ?

/UeY9s2TYAOk

7.62x63mmUS
08-31-2012, 5:30 PM
I've always had to beat the **** out of mine to get the barrel off and the mainspring assembly back in... maybe mine was built with tolerances too tight. Anyway it should not be this way for a .22 with larger caliber pistols being so simple.

Jeepers
08-31-2012, 5:34 PM
thats not a hammer its a plastic mallet , and he said "tap" not hammer on the mainspring housing ;).. and i still stand by my statement that i have never had to use a hammer or mallet to assemble a ruger mk series

7.62x63mmUS
08-31-2012, 5:40 PM
Congratulations

G-Man WC
08-31-2012, 5:40 PM
You were using a Universal Tool on a MKII :eek:
The only thing I ever needed was a small screw driver to start the
latch on the back of the grip. -g

Jeepers
08-31-2012, 5:43 PM
Congratulations
thanks things work well with the right tools ;)

You were using a Universal Tool on a MKII :eek:
The only thing I ever needed was a small screw driver to start the
latch on the back of the grip. -g

a coated paperclip works well also and is non marring

NickMc
08-31-2012, 6:44 PM
The SR22 is a great little pistol. My wife and I are shooting that more than anything lately. It seems to shoot any ammo we feed it. The only problem we've had with it is when I didn't fully seat the spring on the guide-rod. It would randomly fail to feed.

onegtalon
08-31-2012, 8:46 PM
a coated paperclip works well also and is non marring

A folded plastic coffee stirrer (think red mini straw) works great as well. Fold it in half, place fold on the lever, pull.

I couldn't find a coated paperclip at the office but those stirrers were all over the place. It won't break... been using the same one for the past year.

Remus
08-31-2012, 8:52 PM
Beretta Neo's I believe rather easy to disassemble. For the MK3 I've never needed anything but a paperclip and a padded table to disassemble.

psango
08-31-2012, 9:47 PM
I"ve installed several of the Majestic Speed Strip Kits. To install the kit you will still need to remember to have the hammer all the way forward, you need to keep pressure on the trigger as you push the hammer forward, after installing the bolt. Make sure the hammer strut hangs free and contacts the mainspring housing spring cap, if correctly positioned you will feel a slight resistance when closing the main spring housing latch.

The main difference in the Mark II and III is the magazine safety which means you have to remove and re-insert the magazine several time in the disassembly assembly process. And it has the Internal Lock System.

Majestic makes a kit that includes a new hammer bushing so you can remove the magazine disconnect feature: http://www.majesticarms.com/store/

Usually after installing one of these you have enough experience in field stripping the Mark II and III that you no longer require the kit in the first place. I personally think replacing the hammer bushing is worth it. I removed the internal lock system and magazine disconnect on my Mark III's. I have left the loaded chamber indicators in place.

Mark II is a great pistol, So is a Mark III just more of a pain in the rear. It's an odd design but very reliable and solid.

** ALMOST FORGOT periodically check the tightness of the new bolt stop so you don't end up with a bolt flying back and hitting you in the face.

kmca
09-01-2012, 7:55 AM
If it's that difficult to assemble, I'd send it (broken latch and all) to Ruger and have it refitted.

Furncliff
09-01-2012, 8:29 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5130TT0VW1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg