PDA

View Full Version : Small enough for CCW?

mikestesting
08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
I am new to concealed carry. I've been seeing that Sacramento just opened up new appointments for CCW applications and I am really interested. I'm thinking of signing up for the required training course and get qualified.

My concern is that my handguns may be too large for concealed carry and I just wanted others' opinions on this. The following is what I own that I would consider for concealed carry

Ruger Security Six
Sig 1911
Beretta 92fs

Do you consider these too large? I don't want the thing bulging under my clothes or peeking out and scaring others.

Invisible_Dave
08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
So much depends on you, your body type, type of holster etc. A 1911 can be very concealable with a good holster, right shirt, and the correct body type. I'm not very tall, so a 5 inch gun is hard to hide for be OWB. I have a J-frame revolver and a Glock 27 that hides pretty well. Under a suit jacket however, that's a different story.

someR1
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I am new to concealed carry. I've been seeing that Sacramento just opened up new appointments for CCW applications and I am really interested. I'm thinking of signing up for the required training course and get qualified.

My concern is that my handguns may be too large for concealed carry and I just wanted others' opinions on this. The following is what I own that I would consider for concealed carry

Ruger Security Six
Sig 1911
Beretta 92fs

Do you consider these too large? I don't want the thing bulging under my clothes or peeking out and scaring others.

Those are pretty large guns to conceal. It can make your day really uncomfortable lol. IMO you should get the smallest/lightest gun you are comfortable firing. I have a Glock 27 and it's perfect to conceal. You might also consider a Ruger LCP, or S&W M&P compact.

BomarFab
08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't have a permit, so this is just speculation. I am a bigger guy, and wear work type clothes (welder) and I could get away with concealing a larger gun. This is due to my size and type of dress. A full size M&P, or a Ruger Speed Six would be possible for me to conceal. However I would still lean towards a compact M&P or their new Shield, or a 3" round butt revolver, because it would just be easier.

Tiberius
08-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Big is possible but small is easier, by far. In some ways all handguns are "roughly hand-sized" - but for easy of concealed carry, there's a huge difference a pocket-sized Ruger LCP and a 92FS. Beyond size, weight is a big factor.

So while some folks do CCW a 92FW, or keep a big gun for in-car or off-body carry, for most folks, smaller lighter guns are more manageable.

SouperMan
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
1911 is a classic CCW-able weapon; but to echo what others say it all depends on what you wear and what you feel comfortable carrying.

Might just be the excuse to get a compact gun like a LCP, SIG 239, etc. ;)

someR1
08-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't have a permit, so this is just speculation. I am a bigger guy, and wear work type clothes (welder) and I could get away with concealing a larger gun. This is due to my size and type of dress. A full size M&P, or a Ruger Speed Six would be possible for me to conceal. However I would still lean towards a compact M&P or their new Shield, or a 3" round butt revolver, because it would just be easier.

If you are a welder, and moving around a lot, I would recommend a lighter/smaller gun than the ones you have listed. Can you conceal them? Of course, but it won't be AS comfortable. Especially for a welder.

mikestesting
08-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Might just be the excuse to get a compact gun like a LCP, SIG 239, etc. ;)

My wife did ask me last night if there are decent guns available for less than $500 that I would want for Christmas. :D

mikestesting
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
In some ways all handguns are "roughly hand-sized"

Haha. I don't think my Ruger Blackhawk with 10.5 inch barrel fits that statement.

I know what you're saying. Just giving you a hard time. :D

Rivers
08-31-2012, 11:34 AM
You also need a CCW for keeping a loaded handgun in your vehicle so that would make the size less of an issue. For carrying on your person, a full-size 1911 is workable for a normal size person if the covering/clothing is correct. The bigger the body, the less picky on clothing to keep it concealed. Personally, I'd go smaller so I didn't get paranoid about showing. There are many excellent yet smaller framed handguns out there so I'd think you have a great excuse to add to your choices.

Squidward
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Those 3 handguns all weigh within an ounce or two of one another. If you intend to choose from one of those, consider the one that you can;
1) operate the best
2) conceal the easiest.

The holster and belt are the foundation of a good (and comfortable) CCW package. Do not scrimp on cheap CCW gear.

In the end, I'd go with the Sig because good gear for a 1911 style handgun will probably be easier to find than for the Ruger.

BomarFab
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
If you are a welder, and moving around a lot, I would recommend a lighter/smaller gun than the ones you have listed. Can you conceal them? Of course, but it won't be AS comfortable. Especially for a welder.

I don't carry though, so its a non issue for me. If I did though, like you said I would opt for something smaller, for comfort. I am constantly crawling in and out of cars, tight spaces, and rolling on the ground. So I would want something small, and also something I could care less about its aesthetic condition. Since I am constantly grinding and getting holes burned in my shirts by welding berries...

Fjold
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I carry a full sized 1911 in a T&T IWB with no problem. I'm 6'2" and 208 Lbs Just wear baggy shirts.

Bug Splat
08-31-2012, 1:00 PM
Largest gun you feel comfortable carrying because if its too big and uncomfortable you will not want to carry it and totally defeat the reason you got a CCW. Since you are up in Sac, cold weather clothing is kinda out so you have to find something that you can hide with a t-shirt. I'm an avg size guy 5-10, 175lbs and if I tried hiding one of your guns it'd look like I was trying to hide a tire iron in my pants. Took me many years and countless holsters to figure out what worked for my body and my everyday movements. I've tried full size pistols and small pocket guns and came to settle on the first carry gun I ever bought, a Kahr K40. The thin profile, smallish size and smooth lines make IWB carry very comfortable. I like to use a Smartcarry that is turned to my right hip. My pistol is held tight on my side and the extra mag pouch helps break up the pistol outline. If needed I can swing the whole setup to the front as its designed and be SUPER concealed. Best of all. I can carry while in a business suit or coveralls or ever swim trunks without a belt. The Smartcarry gives me a lot of options and works for me.

Sakiri
08-31-2012, 1:36 PM
Personally, I've carried larger and heavier things in my pockets before so a gun size or weight wouldn't bug me until I had to draw.

Speaking of weight.. went to a shop and checked out a .460 mag and Desert Eagle. Holy crap how in the world do people hold those things? Heavy... reminded me of holding a red brick.. :/

kurt521
08-31-2012, 1:40 PM
I carry a lightweight S&W model 642 5 shot 38. Shoulder holster works great. Never had a wheel gun jam :)

InGrAM
08-31-2012, 2:37 PM
Spend some money and buy a dedicated CC pistol or revolver.

Those guns you listed are concealable but they are not going to be comfortable on a smaller person and they are going to get hard to conceal in the 100+ degree weather.

Save yourself some pain and just buy a concealable firearm with a quality holster.

mikestesting
08-31-2012, 2:45 PM
Spend some money and buy a dedicated CC pistol or revolver.

Those guns you listed are concealable but they are not going to be comfortable on a smaller person and they are going to get hard to conceal in the 100+ degree weather.

Save yourself some pain and just buy a concealable firearm with a quality holster.

Yeah, I think this is the route to go. At least it's another excuse to purchase another firearm.

Any suggestions?

InGrAM
08-31-2012, 2:56 PM
Yeah, I think this is the route to go. At least it's another excuse to purchase another firearm.

Any suggestions?

Exactly,

I would look at any smaller firearm, maybe one that you can rent and shoot before you purchase. I like pistols that I can get all of my fingers rapped around. I don't like having my pinky hanging underneath the grip, but that is me.

Kahr cw9
M&P compact or shield
Ruger LC9
SA EMP
S&W bodyguard
Ruger LCR
Glock 26

The list goes on and on, it only depends on how small you want to go and how much money you are willing to spend.

BomarFab
08-31-2012, 2:58 PM
I like the idea of the new M&P Shield or the Springfield XDS (not sure if that one is CA friendly yet), since I wouldn't care too much about the finish on a polymer gun. That or a small frame revolver, or medium frame round butt. Taurus and S&W have some cool small frame guns out, and several titanium version for very light weight.

RobinGoodfellow
08-31-2012, 5:42 PM

Ruger Security Six
Sig 1911
Beretta 92fs

When I carried in Florida I carried a Taurus PT92-AFS. I did not find it too large or heavy. Plus I liked having a 17-round magazine--did I mention this was before I moved to California?

M. D. Van Norman
08-31-2012, 8:47 PM
I love these academic discussions. If you have a get-out-of-jail-free card, carry whatever you like.

http://www.dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/cflex-p220-1.jpg

When I can carry legally, Iíve found that a full-size P220 disappears in a high-cant Kelley holster.

Sbasham
08-31-2012, 10:06 PM

Ruger Security Six
Sig 1911
Beretta 92fs

You got my hopes up, seeing this post made me rush to the website to make an appointment only to see there are none available :(

Try a Glock 19 with a CrossBreed Holster.

johnny_boy02
08-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I love these academic discussions. If you have a get-out-of-jail-free card, carry whatever you like.

When I can carry legally, Iíve found that a full-size P220 disappears in a high-cant Kelley holster.

Sadly they are only making holsters for 1911's now.

Sakiri
08-31-2012, 11:14 PM

Where are you holding that, on your hip? Can't *quite* make it out.

I'm also about 100% certain I couldn't carry on my hip. Heavy set female with *really* round hips. It'd stick out like a sore thumb. :/

Invisible_Dave
08-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Where are you holding that, on your hip? Can't *quite* make it out.

I'm also about 100% certain I couldn't carry on my hip. Heavy set female with *really* round hips. It'd stick out like a sore thumb. :/

Looks to be at about 4:30.

davbog44
09-01-2012, 4:41 AM
First, plan ahead now and get yourself a good quality belt designed to support the weight of a handgun. It makes a huge difference in regards to how much gun you can carry and conceal.

1911's are concealable for a lot of people. I have no problems concealing a SIG P220, which is about the same size. Your others two handguns would not be my ideal choice for concealed carry.

There really are so many options now, and it's a good idea to have more than one weapon on your permit anyway. I think a good compact (Glock 19/23, XD, M&P etc) or the sub compact versions of same is a good way to go. They are enough gun for a gunfight, but small enough most adult males won't have trouble concealing them.

Whatisthis?
09-01-2012, 9:51 AM
A good belt and a good IWB holster and you can carry almost anything. I'm 5'10" and all of 140 pounds and I can carry a P228 with most of my shirts and my shirts are from loose on me. A glock 19 would be even easier. I want a glock 26 or M&P shield to make it really simple. Also, plan on getting a couple holsters. Some people are lucky and choose right the first time, some aren't and go through 3-4 pretty easily.

M. D. Van Norman
09-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Where are you holding that, on your hip? Canít quite make it out.

Iím also about 100% certain I couldnít carry on my hip. Heavy set female with really round hips. Itíd stick out like a sore thumb.

I wear this holster behind my right hip at about the 4:30 or 5:00 position. (The belt loop between the holster and magazine carrier is at the center of my back.) In this location, the cant of the holster tucks the butt of my pistol neatly into the curve of my waist (such as it is).

This setup might work even better for someone with a more voluptuous build. Even when I was 75 lbs. heavier, my lack of a butt still caused my belt to sag in back. More prominent hips would help solve that problemóthough, yes, anything worn directly on the hip at the 3:00 position would stick out. :D

BonnieB
09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Sbasham;9243208]You got my hopes up, seeing this post made me rush to the website to make an appointment only to see there are none available :(

If you are in Sacramento County, the system is up now and January appointments seem to be available.

ElDub1950
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Buy or better yet, borrow some suitable CCW holster that fit your guns. Wear them at home constantly. Decide it it's something you can actually wear for the full day.

J.D.Allen
09-07-2012, 2:57 PM
My EDC is a CZ75B SA. Every bit as big and heavy as a 92fs or a 1911. I wear it in a OWB high ride pancake holster with nothing more than a t-shirt over it. I'm 6'2" and about 205 lbs. It conceals just fine.

That being said I carry in AZ where OC is not only legal but fairly common. So I don't worry about printing or partially exposing. I don't think that happens but if it does no one would ever say anything so I would have no way of knowing it. :D

willerfortheworld
09-07-2012, 3:12 PM
I'm 6 ft 3 around 175 lbs and my Cz p-01 feels a little big for me even tho its a compact. Your guns are on the big/long side. Especially your Beretta. I always wanted to know how you guys can cc a bigger weapon during summer time with no problems..

Neptune
09-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm a big guy, but I always CCW a 1911 pistol.

Either a Springfield 1911 TRP 5" Government full rail, or a SIG 1911 Government 5" stainless with rail. Both feel like an extension of my arm and fit like a glove. I never feel like I'm under-gunned with the .45acp, unless I'm in the woods, and I carry something else entirely for that (.454 Casull).

__

The Virus
09-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Glock 26 ,Junk carry

Bull's_eye
09-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't have my CCW yet, (also in Sac county), but I bought a crossbreed IWB holster and one of their belts for my full size 1911 and it conceals very well. Just have to make sure the t shirt is long enough that it doesn't ride up over the gun when sitting/bending over. I plan on picking up a smaller gun as well before I apply for the permit (considering Glock 19 or M&P Shield).

POLICESTATE
09-08-2012, 12:04 AM
If I'm ever able to obtain a permit in Santa Clara county, or move to another county or state where I can obtain one, I plan on carrying my 5" Kimber 1911 in a shoulder holster. I'm over 6 feet so a vertical shoulder holster would work well on me and with the clothes I wear. My second option would be an IWB holster strong side.

It comes down to what you wear, what kind of frame your body type is, holster types and a good belt, a holster belt will make a big difference vs a regular belt.

scoot64
09-08-2012, 12:40 AM
.38 snub nose used to be my concealed carry and I'm 6'2 and about 230