PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911 Question

Gun_Owner_901
08-31-2012, 2:21 AM
Ok so I am picking up my RIA 1911 GI model with upgraded hammer and upgraded trigger this weekend, I have no experience with 1911's, so when I went in to pay for the RIA 1911 I asked the dealer if it was a single action or a double action, that may have been a dumb question but like I said I am a noob when it comes to the 1911, anyways the guy says its a single action, so my question is because its a single action does that mean I have to cock the hammer after every shot or does the recoil of the shot cock the hammer after every shot, and sorry if this is another dumb question.

Sledge
08-31-2012, 2:26 AM
..or does the recoil of the shot cock the hammer after every shot..That's pretty much it

operator13
08-31-2012, 2:32 AM
yHviEIkZWhA

acolytes
08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Cock the hammer for the first shot. After that, it'll fire everytime you pull the trigger until it's out of ammo. When you put a loaded magazine into it and rack the slide, the hammer will already be cocked. The only time you have to manually cock the hammer before you shoot is if you already chambered a round, and "decocked" it.

mikestesting
08-31-2012, 1:16 PM
Cock the hammer for the first shot. After that, it'll fire everytime you pull the trigger until it's out of ammo. When you put a loaded magazine into it and rack the slide, the hammer will already be cocked. The only time you have to manually cock the hammer before you shoot is if you already chambered a round, and "decocked" it.

Single action - Pulling the trigger does not cock the hammer. It only releases an already cocked hammer.

Double action - Pulling the trigger will cock and release a non-cocked hammer. It can also release an already cocked hammer.

This does not affect semi-automatic. Semi-automatic pistols can be both double action and single action.

Gun_Owner_901
08-31-2012, 6:26 PM
Thanks guys.

JTROKS
08-31-2012, 8:06 PM
Please don't chamber a round then lower the hammer thinking it's fast for home defense. It's dangerous when lowering the hammer on a live round.