PDA

View Full Version : max barrel length for HD SG??

SwPx4
08-30-2012, 8:44 PM
is there a MAX barrel length for a shotgun to be considered a home defense shotgun?

from what i have read, it seems there isnt, and that for any SG for HD... you can have an expanded mag capacity..

is this right? is there a max capacity for a HD shotty?

DasBoost
08-30-2012, 8:51 PM
I don't own a shotgun, but I believe, like any long-gun in HD situations, barrel length is limited by mobility and ease of use in the home. :thumbsup:

mcmikeblues7
08-30-2012, 8:59 PM
you can take a field gun and make it a home defense gun, but most shotguns made for hd are 18-20 inches in barrel length. I personally think an ideal factory hd shotgun is a 21 inch vent ribbed barrel pump action 12 gauge, preferably a remington

repubconserv
08-30-2012, 9:02 PM
There is no maximum barrel length law. I would feel most comfortable with my 18.5" barrel... that is what I've always practiced with though

If you want a hicap mag for your shotgun, you still have to follow all magazine capacity laws.
There is no (technical) law for "home defense" shotgun capacity. if you legally own a hi-cap mag (of any capacity) you can use it

P5Ret
08-30-2012, 9:17 PM
If you plan on staying in one spot, pretty much any shotgun will do. If you need to move, around your home the more compact the better in my opinion. Try moving around in your home with a broom stick or something similar will give you a good idea of how much barrel length you can effectively use. Keep in mind if you have to take corners or stairs in the home, the longer the barrel the more you telegraph where you are.

CK_32
08-30-2012, 9:26 PM
20 IMO

BigDogatPlay
08-31-2012, 2:36 PM
Much longer than 20 inches on a gun with any manner of buttstock can become more difficult to handle in close quarters. If your plan is to hunker in the bunker and not move around much then most any barrel length will do I think.

mif_slim
08-31-2012, 3:58 PM
I run a 52" shotgun barrel. ;)

HD, 18.5 for me.

Legasat
08-31-2012, 4:15 PM
My SG is 20" barrel, and holds 9

jyo
09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I have two older 870s fitted with 18.5 and 20 inch bead sight barrels---I can't imagine anything longer would be useful around the house.

Paltik
09-01-2012, 4:05 PM
People tend to go with the shortest legal barrel length for HD because the range involved is short and a shorter gun is easier to maneuver. But if you can get a 60" shotgun pointed at a bad guy and pull the trigger, it's going to hurt just as much.

For most HD scenarios I don't think you need any special magazine capacity. For max capacity in a pump shotgun, HD flavors have the magazine tube about as long as the barrel--in other words, the most that will fit. But I have a normal Mossberg 500 and just removed the wooden dowel from the magazine so it takes 5 rounds. (The dowel is required for legal hunting.)

I haven't checked into it, but I imagine you could purchase something like a Saiga 12 with a 10-round magazine legally; if you happen to already have a 20-round drum, you should also be able to use that legally (just can't purchase, import, or assemble one).

kentactic
09-02-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8&feature=plcp