PDA

View Full Version : Glock G21SF/30 .45 ACP...

Red Devil
08-30-2012, 5:03 PM
Thinkin' of getting a G21SF or G21Gen4 and chopping it to accept the G30 Ten (10) round extended mags.

This would make it a 4.5" Bbl/+5 oz. .45 ACP "big brother" to my G23 .40 S&W's. and look like this:

(Comments appreciated)

BlackDrop50
08-30-2012, 5:50 PM
The large fullsize frame is already nose heavy and unbalanced, this would make it worse.

The subcompact frame is more balanced and feels even better with a fullsize mag with mag grip adapter.

Kodachrome
08-30-2012, 6:28 PM
How about the reverse and make a commander style? Full grip shorter barrel.

coq
08-30-2012, 6:33 PM
Yeah, put me in the "Don't do it" column. There's no accuracy problem with the 30, and it would suck to stuff a 21 slide down your pants all day. I don't see the upside.

Whatisthis?
08-30-2012, 6:50 PM
Pointless. Buy a glock 30SF and a bunch of ammo and call it a day.

ILVSMOG
08-30-2012, 7:04 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the previous opinions.

In my experience, it's grip length, not barrel length that causes discomfort while carrying concealed. Couple that with wanting the control, reliability and accuracy of a longer barrel/slide and what the OP is proposing makes a LOT of sense. Colt did a similar thing (that many have since copied) with their Concealed Carry Officer (CCO). It's an Officer sized frame with a Commander length slide/barrel. Unlike the Colt, the Glock gives you the ability to use the larger model's magazine with a grip sleeve to return to the full-sized grip. The best of both worlds!

I've been considering this same setup (maybe with a 20sf if I can find one) since there is a local 'smith that has done this conversion before with great success.

IMO: GO FOR IT!!

coq
08-30-2012, 7:43 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the previous opinions.

In my experience, it's grip length, not barrel length that causes discomfort while carrying concealed. Couple that with wanting the control, reliability and accuracy of a longer barrel/slide and what the OP is proposing makes a LOT of sense. Colt did a similar thing (that many have since copied) with their Concealed Carry Officer (CCO). It's an Officer sized frame with a Commander length slide/barrel. Unlike the Colt, the Glock gives you the ability to use the larger model's magazine with a grip sleeve to return to the full-sized grip. The best of both worlds!

I've been considering this same setup (maybe with a 20sf if I can find one) since there is a local 'smith that has done this conversion before with great success.

IMO: GO FOR IT!!

Many say the 30 is more accurate than the 21...and with no long slide down your leg when you move or long grip poking out when you bend down. Sure seems like chopping up a perfectly good full-size gun to solve a non-existent problem.

jdg30
08-30-2012, 7:58 PM
Ever since I got a g30sf it's become my favorite gun and is the main CCW gun I carry he most. I haven't shot my G21sf since I got the G30. I would have to say the G30sf is my easiest to shoot, most accurate gun, even better than the G21, which I still like a lot. I'd say just get a G30sf and that will be all you need to be happy.

Personally I think the gun in the picture looks kind of retarded and unbalanced, but I think the normal G30sf and G21sf look very attractive how they are designed to be. The G30 is my favorite gun because it's compact and easy to carry, surprisingly accurate, holds 10+1 rounds of .45 stock, and can take G21 13 rd mags. Also, its been perfectly reliable for well over 1000 rounds so far. The extra barrel length of the G21 won't make a difference for accuracy.