PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range Gloves?

MusicMatt
08-30-2012, 2:28 PM
It seems like every time my wife and I return from the range, she has a lot of soreness in her wrist and hands.

I bought a speed loader for the next time we go hoping it would help.

She is tiny and has pretty small hands. We both love our time at the range and I don't want her pain to spoil the fun.

Would some gloves help her in this area? If they would, what are some you would suggest for us?

Thanks.

P.S. - We shoot 9mm

Lead Waster
08-30-2012, 2:33 PM
Is the soreness from shooting or loading the mags? How is her grip/stance? 9mm shouldn't hurt.

If you have the ability to reload, try 147 gn ammo.

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 2:38 PM
If her wrist is sore you can get fingerless gloves with wrist support in them. I've been meaning to pick up a pair myself even for around at the computer as I have carpal tunnel and they can also help for that.

If her hands are overly sore she might be gripping too tight, or gripping it wrong. If she just has sensitive skin that's getting roughed up from the grip or something thin gloves might not be a bad idea. I could suggest nitrile medical style gloves just to see if its her hands getting roughed up. I use them for quite a few things.

It depends really on what's sore about them(the hands and wrists) before you can figure out how to deal with that.

Gun_Owner_901
08-30-2012, 3:03 PM
I am thinking about picking up some shooting gloves, I have a Glock 22 with a rough textured frame and everytime I use it and come home from the range I get little blisters right at the base of my trigger finger, doesn't really bother me more annoying than painful.

HighLander51
08-30-2012, 3:09 PM
Shooting gloves only get in the way. If a 9mm has too much felt recoil, get a .22LR, such as a Ruger 22/45. In a 22 pistol you want one where only the bolt moves, not the slide.

MusicMatt
08-30-2012, 3:15 PM
I think the finger soreness is from reloading her double stack mags. That's why I bought the speed loader. I don't think it's a recoil issue, just she needs more hand and wrist support. We do have a Sig 2022 with pretty rough stipling on the grip.

BonnieB
08-30-2012, 3:25 PM
Not sure exactly what the problem is. Can you be more specific?

My fingertips got sore from loading mags, locking the slide open and also from removing the slide. If it's the mags, get her to buy a Magula. My "girlie" hands just wouldn't handle shoving steel around until they hardened up. Ya just gotta do the work. Hand lotion becomes a no-no for fingertips.

A friend I trust suggested golf gloves, but I couldn't find any for my left hand and men's don't fit me. But I picked up some "batter's gloves". They come in pairs, they're soft and absorbent like golf gloves and they protect my hands from pretty much everything. I cut away the trigger finger with an Exacto knife. You don't have to, but I like to be able to feel what I'm doing.

I got gloves because fall is coming, but also because sometimes it's 105 out here in Sac and I don't like trying to hold on to a handgun with sweaty hands. The baseball gloves absorb sweat just like golf gloves do. Hope this helps.

tbc
08-30-2012, 4:17 PM
Not sure if wearing gloves will have better wrist support IMO. Work on her grips...

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 4:23 PM
Not sure if wearing gloves will have better wrist support IMO. Work on her grips...

http://www.activeforever.com/p-735-smart-glove-wrist-support.aspx

Things like these might.

I need to get a pair for use at the desk here, but they make them for sporting as well. If she's got weak wrists a bit of support might make it a little tolerable.

As for the mag loading making her hands sore, that'll be something that's fixed over time. Calluses man, need them. So useful... I don't miss splitting my fingers open on guitar strings.. the calluses were nice. lol

Edit: they make gloves like the ones listed(those are for computer use mostly, but those give the basic idea) for bowling, athletics, lifting, etc. Anything that can cause wrist injury. Some of them are more stiff than others, but they might help with stability if she's having issues.

tbc
08-30-2012, 5:03 PM
Typing and recoil are not the same. But that's just my assessment. Go for it if you think they work. :)

masayako
08-30-2012, 5:16 PM
I got a pair of Camelbak Heat grip. I like it so far.

Kodachrome
08-30-2012, 5:25 PM
Try a wrist support for bowlers. They have an aluminum support piece that can be removed. The braces start at the wrist with full wrap-around, the support piece might get in the way because it end in the palm of your hand.
Got to be cheaper than a medical version.
I have the bowling brace but have'nt thought about using it and a plus 1 for the batting gloves, I use them sometimes.
Best of luck.

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 5:28 PM
Typing and recoil are not the same. But that's just my assessment. Go for it if you think they work. :)

I did explain better after.

The idea is to get some compression on the wrist to stabilize it. They make gloves similarly designed for other things as well, such as these:

Yoga, etc:
http://www.wristassuredgloves.com/

weight training:
http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Training-WristWrap-Glove-Medium/dp/B00074H5LG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346376234&sr=8-7&keywords=wrist+support+gloves

General support:
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-90103-Breathable-Neoprene/dp/B0019D4BRA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1346376234&sr=8-15&keywords=wrist+support+gloves

I have carpal tunnel. Wrist tends to get sore when I do anything for long periods of time where I have to grip stuff like that. Supports like this help with it.

They make all sorts of types for different activities. :) Not just typing.

orangeglo
08-30-2012, 5:35 PM
I would first make sure she is using a proper grip. It will destroy your hands if you are holding the firearm with a poor grip.

But, soreness might not necessarily be a bad thing. It could mean she is strengthening her hands.

Lead Waster
08-30-2012, 7:14 PM
If only there was some way for your wife to strengthen her wrist and grip... If only... Maybe you could help her somehow. If she strengthened her wrists every night, maybe, just maybe this problem would be resolved. Darn it, I can't think of how she could do that ...

If only I could remember how I built up my wrist and grip strength when I was a teenager, I remember they were quite strong... Hmmm...

:)

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 8:11 PM
If only there was some way for your wife to strengthen her wrist and grip... If only... Maybe you could help her somehow. If she strengthened her wrists every night, maybe, just maybe this problem would be resolved. Darn it, I can't think of how she could do that ...

If only I could remember how I built up my wrist and grip strength when I was a teenager, I remember they were quite strong... Hmmm...

:)

Gonna go out and mention that made my wrists worse. :/

motorwerks
08-30-2012, 8:16 PM
Mechanics gloves, with the trigger finger cut off. It works great for me.

ElDub1950
08-30-2012, 8:24 PM
Sometimes, simply a different gun 'can' help .. different grip angle, grip size does make a difference.

HighLander51
08-31-2012, 6:48 AM
It seems like every time my wife and I return from the range, she has a lot of soreness in her wrist and hands.

P.S. - We shoot 9mm

Stance and grip, hold the gun like this.

http://getfile3.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-09-06/jAiEpcmsBkylCxifCqxJrrvBvyqarjnxvyzfngdJtDiDpkFEor wBBpBnmhjn/20110903_4749.jpg

Squidward
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
For under $50.00...

Butler Creek LULA loader.
Pearl Izumi gel pad bicycle gloves