PDA

View Full Version : Please define locked container/case for Noob

DinoD
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I know there's a lot of info on this topic floating around ,but I thought it would be easier if I just ask. Can I use a factory case to transport a gun to and fro to the gun range or anywhere else? Can I just put a lock around the handle or do I have to buy a locking case or briefcase?
I have an SUV with no locking compartments.

RazzB7
08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
The strict legal definition of "lockng case" is still a little muddy.

Most of the legal minds around here believe that if you cannot operate the firearm while it is in it's locked case, you are good to go.

Librarian
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
The strict legal definition of "lockng case" is still a little muddy.

Most of the legal minds around here believe that if you cannot operate the firearm while it is in it's locked case, you are good to go.

Yes, that's most of it. If you can open the box enough to pull out the gun, without using the key or otherwise unlocking it - think of a cheap flexible plastic box - then you really ought to get something better.

But, as noted, no definition for 'secure'.

DinoD
08-30-2012, 1:03 PM
Transporting with a soft case seems questionable then.

CK_32
08-30-2012, 1:40 PM
Any way you can't access a firearm unless having to unlock the case/container first.

I don't care what the law is that's what it is for me. If I can get into it with out having to fully unlock it or get to the fire arm and operate it with out haste it's not good enough..

mc21
08-30-2012, 1:43 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

"(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device."

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 1:44 PM
Transporting with a soft case seems questionable then.

Does it say it has to be a hard one?

Because I've seen soft zippered cases with dual zipper pulls that can be locked together, much like luggage zippers. And I have a surplus of luggage locks around here now that the TSA refuses to let me use them on my luggage that's being checked.

-_-

krby
08-30-2012, 1:44 PM
I know there's a lot of info on this topic floating around ,but I thought it would be easier if I just ask. Can I use a factory case to transport a gun to and fro to the gun range or anywhere else? Can I just put a lock around the handle or do I have to buy a locking case or briefcase?
I have an SUV with no locking compartments.

There isn't a strict definition in the law, but the plastic factory case that comes with most handguns is pretty common. Many of them have a hole near the handle big enough for the shackle of a padlock. I wouldn't be comfortable if I could open the case enough to get my hand it without unlocking, but it's your call.

Also, many people use soft sided cases and lock the zippers, I consider those legal as well.

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 2:48 PM
There isn't a strict definition in the law, but the plastic factory case that comes with most handguns is pretty common. Many of them have a hole near the handle big enough for the shackle of a padlock. I wouldn't be comfortable if I could open the case enough to get my hand it without unlocking, but it's your call.

Also, many people use soft sided cases and lock the zippers, I consider those legal as well.

Yeah I'd figure as such.

One of those is also on my list simply because they're often lighter.

DinoD
08-30-2012, 2:54 PM
I'm liking this ,but i dot see a D ring. I may order it and make some way to lock it.

http://www.amazon.com/VISM-NcStar-Discreet-Pistol-Case/dp/B003OBK7NW

StormRaven
08-30-2012, 3:45 PM
I use this for my XDm 9 5.25. It has little loops on the zippers that I can slip a small lock through.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A789DW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

And this for my '65 Colt Official Police. It has a little d-ring type of deal, and I put the lock through that and then through the hole in the end of the zipper pull.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VRLP6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

maresleg
08-30-2012, 4:08 PM
Okay, I tried to read and understand article two, but... Too convoluted for me. Exactly how are you supposed to transport your firearms to and from the range, home, gunsmith, LGS, and etc??

DinoD
08-30-2012, 4:13 PM
Man I tell ya these Cali laws are just out of control.
I called Turners and they said as long as I have the cable lock they're
going to let me pickup the Handgun. I'm reading that the case must be
locked when transporting.
California = confusion.

stix213
08-30-2012, 4:17 PM
Man I tell ya these Cali laws are just out of control.
I called Turners and they said as long as I have the cable lock they're
going to let me pickup the Handgun. I'm reading that the case must be
locked when transporting.
California = confusion.

It is not all California. When going through a school zone you have to lock up your firearm in the same manner, and that is a Federal law. Don't over think this stuff though. I routinely go to the range with my handguns in a small backpack, small combo lock through the base of both zipper pulls, and 3rd point around the handle of the pack. Done.

DinoD
08-30-2012, 4:24 PM
Yeah, I think I'll go that route with a luggage lock . Around both zipper pulls and the handle.

DinoD
08-30-2012, 4:26 PM
I'm thinkin

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/images/lockDown_TSA80-9.jpg

Sakiri
08-30-2012, 4:31 PM
Okay, I tried to read and understand article two, but... Too convoluted for me. Exactly how are you supposed to transport your firearms to and from the range, home, gunsmith, LGS, and etc??

In a gun case or box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A789DW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01 was linked, has lockable zippers. At the base of the zipper pull there's little round holes you push together so they meet up and you run a luggage lock through it.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Pillared-Double-Pistol/dp/B000P40VPU/ref=pd_sbs_sg_50

Hard cases like this can be used as well. This is also lockable.

You cannot have it just hanging wide open in your hand. You cannot legally stick it in your pocket without a concealed carry permit. It needs to be in a locked container, such as those I linked. It needs to be unloaded(no bullets in it) but you *can* have loaded mags in the bag/box... just not in the gun itself.

Clarified? And if I missed something I'm sure someone will correct me.

delta9
08-30-2012, 5:33 PM
So what do you do when transporting a handgun you just purchased form the gunshop to your home? They don't provide you with a locking case. Is one expected to bring a locking case with them?

DinoD
08-30-2012, 5:41 PM
Sakiri above comment sums it up IMO, but Turners is letting me buy my gun with just a cable lock.

Like krby says There isn't a strict definition in the law. Just read all the comments on this thread. There's good info on here.

I read this and my eyeballs are protruding after 15 minutes.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

kouye
08-30-2012, 8:39 PM
So what do you do when transporting a handgun you just purchased form the gunshop to your home? They don't provide you with a locking case. Is one expected to bring a locking case with them?

The trunk of your car is considered a locking case as long as you can't access it from inside the car.

DinoD
08-30-2012, 8:56 PM
I haven't had a trunk since I had a 69 Chevelle. Since then I've owned nothing but trucks and suv's What's a trunk?

kouye
08-30-2012, 8:59 PM
I haven't had a trunk since I had a 69 Chevelle. Since then I've owned nothing but trucks and suv's What's a trunk?

That makes me think. What about a locked camper shell, provided you don't have a split rear window? Wouldn't that be a locked container?

DinoD
08-30-2012, 9:16 PM
I read somewhere
As long as the door on the back is locked, and you don't have a window where you can access the camper shell area from the cab of the truck, the camper area becomes a locked secure container. Maybe call the DOJ ?

StormRaven
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM

By California law, a handgun must be provided with a cable lock which they must have in stock to sell you. Or, you can bring your own cable lock with a receipt showing the date you bought it.

Librarian
08-31-2012, 6:04 AM
By California law, a handgun must be provided with a cable lock which they must have in stock to sell you. Or, you can bring your own cable lock with a receipt showing the date you bought it.

Yes, that's true.

But that lock has no value whatsoever for transport - it isn't a case.

If you already have a case, yes, you should bring it and use it when you pick up your new handgun.

If you don't have a case, buying one when picking up your new handgun would be a good idea. Or order one while waiting out your 10 days.

See the wiki article on transport -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

StormRaven
08-31-2012, 7:09 AM
Yes, that's true.

But that lock has no value whatsoever for transport - it isn't a case.

Augh. Sorry about that. It was late and I did not finish my thought...

I think what I meant to get at was that if you have a cable lock, you could use that and throw it in a paper bag if you want, and that would count. I wouldn't do that to my firearms, but I think, by letter of the law, that would be legal. I may be wrong on this point... when I went to pick up my revolver, I brought along that one case I linked with a little padlock and just slipped it in there and locked it at the counter, so I haven't tried that.

Sorry, I'll try to be more awake when I post. :o

keenkeen
08-31-2012, 8:03 AM
Augh. Sorry about that. It was late and I did not finish my thought...

I think what I meant to get at was that if you have a cable lock, you could use that and throw it in a paper bag if you want, and that would count. I wouldn't do that to my firearms, but I think, by letter of the law, that would be legal. I may be wrong on this point... when I went to pick up my revolver, I brought along that one case I linked with a little padlock and just slipped it in there and locked it at the counter, so I haven't tried that.

Sorry, I'll try to be more awake when I post. :o

Yep, you are wrong on that point...needs to be in a LOCKED case, not have a cable lock thru the action. So, as Librarian stated a cable lock only does not have any value for transport.

StormRaven
08-31-2012, 9:56 AM
Yep, you are wrong on that point...needs to be in a LOCKED case, not have a cable lock thru the action. So, as Librarian stated a cable lock only does not have any value for transport.

Gotcha. Thanks for setting me straight on that point.

someR1
08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
to avoid confusion (with a stupid cop), I would use a regular hard plastic case and lock.

A-J
08-31-2012, 11:54 AM
The trunk of your car is considered a locking case as long as you can't access it from inside the car.

Bolded part is FUD. Nowhere in the PC does it say that.

Fishslayer
08-31-2012, 2:01 PM

I use a very "non gunny" looking plastic tool box with padlock.