PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Mod. 686 O/U barrel missing solder

duc748bip
08-30-2012, 1:28 AM
I have a used Beretta that I pickup but never had a chance to shoot.
at the end of the barrel it look like its missing a piece of solder. Is this cause for concern?
I had a local gun shop owner told me to never fired the gun, the barrel will separate, recoil backward and cause serious injury :rolleyes:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167012&stc=1&d=1346318649

gunnerstuff
08-30-2012, 5:32 AM
Yep, it will blow up, cause a massive earthquake and leave a large hole in the ozone layer, so send it to me for immediate destruction.

From what I understand in most double barreled guns, the little stips are what is soldered to the barrels and hold them together. Then a little end filler is used to cover the hole. Looks like that fell out or was never applied.

smittty
08-30-2012, 1:07 PM
Try calling Beretta to see if they'l repair it.

It would definitely bug me but I don't think it's a going to separate.

Something I've thought about was getting a used set of barrels for my 686 and cut them down to 20" or so for fun. Sort of like a coach gun but O/U.

:-)

GunninIt
08-30-2012, 2:45 PM
Not knowing where you're located, it's hard to recommend a gunsmith, but Beretta actually has many recommendations on their webpage. Head on over to Shotgunworld as well, and you'll find some great recommendations (most of them factory recommended gunsmiths).

saki302
08-30-2012, 3:54 PM
Beretta will probably fix it for free.

But if it were me, I'd just shoot the thing and enjoy it for now.

I've had old SXS shotguns that didn't even have end filler in place- and they shot fine(probably came that way).

-Dave

Revoman
08-30-2012, 7:52 PM
Bolsa is the west coast Beretta repair facility as far as I remember.