PDA

View Full Version : First .22lr

berettabattler
08-29-2012, 10:12 PM
hi folks..

I'm in the market for an .22lr, with the price of 9mm and .40 going up.. I need something to be easy on the pockets...

I have a few in mind..

the browning buckmark, ruger mark 3, ruger lcr in .22lr , smith and wesson MP-22.. or opt out for an conversion kit for my p226?

for rifles wise..

I have been eyeing the umarex mp5-22 and the hk 416-22

I want something that's reliable and fun..

the buckmark feels good in the hands but the lcr .22 would be an reliable gun.. I don't know.. I'm stuck between it...

out of all of them, which would you recommend? or should I go with the umarex?

sholling
08-29-2012, 11:02 PM
I like the Buck Mark because the ergonomics (grip angle and safety) are close to that of my 1911s. The Ruger Mk3 is a nice little pistol but the grip angle is wrong for me. The M&P22 I haven't shot yet.

For a rifle I really like the CZ453 but if that's too expensive I'd look at a 10/22.

Excaliburr
08-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Browning Buck Mark is very reliable and a very good choice. For a rifle, go with Ruger 10/22. Lots of mods available and just all around a must have IMHO. Price of .22 has gone way up too, so get used to it, I am afraid. Start reloading like a lot of us do. I just got done with 200 rounds of .38 Special @ $.13 round. That is the only way us regular guys can afford to plink or target shoot in any kind of quantity.

orangeusa
08-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Beretta 22LR upper from Ciener. Much less than the price of a Ruger. Just a suggestion.

onegtalon
08-30-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't own one but several of my buddy's have said the .22 conversion kit for the Sigs SUCK! YMMV I own a P226R and don't want to get the .22 kit for it because of the reputation... Already got a Ruger 22/45 (pain to clean if you're not used to it).

zomie
08-30-2012, 2:55 AM
I own both a RUGER 10/22 and a Mark III. I can't say enough good things about them. They just work and work well. The g/f usually shoots them at the range and has no problems putting through 500 rounds at a time through them. They eat the cheapest bulk ammo and are very accurate. They also have huge after market selections. You can't go wrong with a Ruger in 22.

Another option is to pick up an ar15 and get a conversion kit for that. They work pretty up to about 50 yards. When you get bored you just pop back in your bcg and a different mag and start with the 223.

macxd
08-30-2012, 8:00 AM
I was going through this also... couldn't decide on a Ruger mkiii, 22/45, or S&W 22a. Went to the shop and ended up loving the feel of the browning buckmark camper in my hand. So I had my wife buy that for her gun lol. I love the Ruger mkiii target with the bull barrel so that's what I will be jailing this weekend once my 30day wait is up.

For rifles I have the 15-22 on the list. 10/22 Ruger is also a great choice and cheap as well (unless you catch the mod bug)

I burn 500rds of 9mm everytime I go to the range.. can't wait to get these .22's

dtp
09-01-2012, 7:10 PM
Buckmark, Ruger... either way great guns. Also check out the Ruger 22/45. Has the same layout as a 1911 and a little easier on the wallet. It's what I finally went with. I hear good things about the 22A as well. I've shot one and it's nice but I like my 22/45 better. I can't say enough good things about it.

For a rifle, I chose the Savage MKII-G. Basic bolt-action, magazine-fed, wood stock, drilled and tapped for scope rings when you are ready. Very accurate right out of the box. Really fun shooting and you don't go through the ammo quite as quick since it's not a semi-auto. My brother bought the Marlin 795 for his son and they really like that as well.

If you like going through 500 rounds a trip, you will love .22LR... that's only $20! You can go just about every weekend for that. I usually get tired of shooting before I run through a box of 525. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well the fundamentals I learned on the .22's directly carried-over to the higher calibers. I was shooting my brother's .40 the other day and shooting the bullseye out of the target. They are fun and great to practice on!

fishnbeer
09-02-2012, 6:19 AM
buckmark is great, rugers mk 3 is hard to beat. go handle a few and see what you like. i love my mk3 target

psango
09-02-2012, 7:31 AM
IMO

The Sig Kit works great, only draw back in no hold open on last round. But very reliable with good ammo.

other options

Buck Mark
Ruger Mark II, III
new Ruger SR 22

all very accurate and reliable

ckyrulez
09-02-2012, 6:55 PM
Browning Buck Mark is very reliable and a very good choice. For a rifle, go with Ruger 10/22.

+1 for both of these recommendations.

I own a Stainless Buck Mark with the URX grips and I love it. I've shot my friend's Mark III and while it's a decent gun, it doesn't have the same overall feel that I like.

As far as .22 rifles, you can't go wrong with a 10/22. Fun and easy to shoot and the assortment of aftermarket parts lets you customize it even further based on your preferences.

I would also recommend the Ruger SR22 in the handgun category. I picked one of these up a few months ago and haven't been able to put it down since then. While it's not nearly as accurate as my Buck Mark it's just fun to shoot.