PDA

View Full Version : M&P Pro worth it?

OpenYourEyes
08-29-2012, 10:32 PM
So i want to get in to IDPA and maybe some steel challenge, and am deciding on what pistol to get for this. So the choices are either a M&P9 Pro which would be around $725 after the single shot conversion through OC Armory, or a M&P 9 full size which would be about $425.

Is the Pro worth the extra cash? Any input is appreciated

OpenYourEyes
08-29-2012, 10:34 PM
CORRECTION: (can't edit on the mobile site) M&P full size would be $525, not $425.

NorCal Einstein
08-29-2012, 10:36 PM
The real question is if you can actually get your hands on a 9 Pro. I've been reading threads for months now where guys here want to buy one, but there are none to be found in state and even out of state (shipping into CA for SSE).

I might just be outdated and maybe the supply has changed.

OpenYourEyes
08-29-2012, 11:24 PM
I've found a couple online. But availability aside... what say you?

OpenYourEyes
08-30-2012, 2:05 AM
Also, if i were to get the regular m&p full size, i would get competition sights and some Apex parts

Legasat
08-30-2012, 8:42 AM
For some people, it would likely be a worthwhile upgrade. Longer sight radius, better trigger, better sights. It was designed to be more of a competition pistol.

For a beginner, it would not do much to assist. For an intermediate shooter, it might help a bit. An experienced competition shooter would likely be able to put all of the enhancements to good use.

Sam
08-30-2012, 8:56 AM
Also, if i were to get the regular m&p full size, i would get competition sights and some Apex parts

I think you'd be well served by putting those parts on any M&P you get.

Gryff
08-30-2012, 9:09 AM
The nice thing about the Pro is that the longer barrel gives you an extended sight radius, which helps with accuracy, and the longer slide provides more front-end weight to help drive the muzzle back down on target faster.

A Pro is my next purchase for competition, and I think the price difference is worth it.

Mazdaspeed Jon
08-30-2012, 9:55 AM
It depends on what class you want to shoot in. If you are going to run a "Production" based class then you are definitely going to want the Pro. I got mine a couple of months ago from Island View Enterprises in Ventura (great shop to work with btw) and the difference in the stock triggers between the pro and regular is astounding. Now don't get me wrong, the Pro will still benefit from the Apex upgrade, but if you plan on shooting production then you need to leave it stock. The factory sights of the pro are also really, really nice and the fact that it doesn't have a magazine disconnect is nice since at the end of a shooting stage the RO will want you to dry fire or decock after you to Unload and Show Clear and before you holster.

Gryff
08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Now don't get me wrong, the Pro will still benefit from the Apex upgrade, but if you plan on shooting production then you need to leave it stock.

Last I checked, that is not correct. Internal modifications to improve trigger pull are legal, as long as they are not visible externally while gun is in battery (Appendix D 21.5). I know that there was a discussion about having a minimum trigger pull weight in Production, but I believe that the change was not implemented.

So, as long as you not replacing the actual trigger, an Apex upgrade is legal in Production.

NorCal Einstein
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I've found a couple online. But availability aside... what say you?

I own one so I'm bias. If you're going to be competition shooting the cost difference between a 4.25" and 5" M&P9 is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Just like others have said already, the benefits that stick out the most are the longer sight radius and heavier slide.

When I shoot with my M&P, I don't get very much muzzle flip at all and it's fast to put back on target again.

If you're really going to get into competition shooting then it's a pretty clear decision over the regular FS. You're going to be seeing a lot of other 5" slide 9mm pistols being used around you, so might as well join in on the fun.

9mmepiphany
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
A lot does depend on which class you are planning to compete in and your ability to take advantage of refinements.

I have a buddy who has did a serious comparison between the various M&P9 models before settling on a M&P9L with the Apex Tactical Competition AEK parts...he is shooting in USPSA Production. I tried the different guns too and thought that the AEK parts offered a larger improvement over the stock trigger than the Pro modifications did.

I personally found that I shoot more accurately with the FS slide/barrel length than the Pro/L one, but I think it has more to do with older eyes.

I shoot IDPA and the M&P9 is very competitive in SSP, adding the Apex FSS trigger kit moved me up to ESP...I'm still pretty competitive as I'm avoiding the SSP sandbaggers. We'll see at the Regionals in the next two months

Blackhawk556
08-30-2012, 3:17 PM
I asked this question several months ago and I ended up just upgrading my full size with the apex fss. That trigger is nice :)

OpenYourEyes
08-30-2012, 5:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm leaning more towards the Pro. Now i just need to save a couple hundred more and make the leap!