PDA

View Full Version : Would like first-hand reviews of 10/22 trigger groups for new rifle

jester_motorsports
08-29-2012, 9:56 PM
Just purchased a new, complete, Tactical Solutions X-Ring rifle (10/22). The only feedback I've received from other owners is that the trigger may need to be upgraded. I run an AR Gold trigger on my AR and I'd really like the trigger on my 22 to be similar so that I'll have a similar pull. The AR Gold trigger is a 2 stage with a 12oz first stage and a 2 1/4 lb second stage for a total of right around 3 lbs. The second stage is actually a tick lighter than stated above but that's what they advertise as the total pull weight. I've seen the big 3 players in the 10/22 game as far as complete assemblies are Timney, Volquartson, and Kidd. I'd just like some first-hand reviews from actual owners on what they feel like may be the best fit for my desired application.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Josh

damon1272
08-29-2012, 9:57 PM
I run an older power custom. Very light trigger pull. Nothing like what you are looking for in an AR gold trigger. That said I am very pleased with it.

sholling
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a wee bit of experience with triggers for half-dozen 10/22s and a bit of experience with AR15 triggers - just not that AR15 trigger. I use Geissele triggers (~2+2lb) in my AR15s.

My experience with dropping in a Volquartsen hammer kit (~$30-40) is it gives a much improved but not spectacular single-stage trigger.

Clark Custom did a nice crisp 2-1/2lb trigger job on two of my 10/22s ($85ea) to remove most of the take-up and eliminated creep that the VQ kit alone can't always accomplish.

I've also replaced the whole trigger assembly with a ~2-1/2lb pull aluminum single-stage assembly from Volgartsen ($220). In my experience it's a touch better than my Clark modified triggers but I'm not sure it's $135 better.

In my experience the Ferrari of 10/22 triggers is a Kidd two-stage. The Kidd is fully adjustable from 3oz+3oz to 1.25lb+1.25lb and is freaking amazing ($290 + $20 for the lever style mag release). They will dial it in to your exact 1st and 2nd stage specifications before they send it to you. I didn't have mine set as light as the factory set 9oz (4.5+4.5oz?) two stage in my Anschutz but it's pretty darn awesome. I'm working on a 10/22 benchrest project and will eventually buy it a Kidd 2-stage trigger and lever mag release as well. Below is Kidd's explanation of their trigger. My only reservation is setting it as heavy as your AR is a waste of a Kid trigger if it's even possible. 1.25+1.25 is my minimum for a for a 2-stage field 10/22 but for a pure target rifle I'd want lighter.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%201024/IMG_0221a.jpg
Kidd two-stage (8oz+8oz) trigger with a Kidd lever style mag release (recommend) on one of my 10/22s.

sHy2rlTbzis

Yerman
08-30-2012, 4:21 AM
The AR Gold trigger is a 2 stage with a 12oz first stage and a 2 1/4 lb second stage for a total of right around 3 lbs.

Just curious, why are you adding your first stage trigger pull and second stage trigger pull together to give you a total?

Does your trigger pull ever reach 3lb's?

Single stage is the "take-up" or "slack" in the trigger (very light) then the second stage is the actual trigger pull. If your second stage is rated at 2 1/4 lbs don't you have a 2 1/4 lb trigger and not a 3lb trigger?

sholling
08-30-2012, 8:52 AM
Just curious, why are you adding your first stage trigger pull and second stage trigger pull together to give you a total?

Does your trigger pull ever reach 3lb's?

Single stage is the "take-up" or "slack" in the trigger (very light) then the second stage is the actual trigger pull. If your second stage is rated at 2 1/4 lbs don't you have a 2 1/4 lb trigger and not a 3lb trigger?
2-stage triggers are rated using both numbers because both are relevant. The combined weight is the total pull weight which is also relevant from a safety perspective and in some competitive events and is the perceived weight when using it in very rapid fire. The second stage number gives you the perceived weight (what you notice) when using it for slow precise fire. I prefer my 1st and 2nd stages to be set to about the same. With single stage triggers the take-up pull weight is usually much lighter than the actual break and ideally have little to no take-up.

Yerman
08-30-2012, 9:24 AM
Hu...thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.