PDA

View Full Version : Casting buckshot.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-29-2012, 9:34 PM
So I picked up a reproduction pistol bullet mold. It is for .31 caliber muzzleloaders, and comes with a round ball and conical bullet cavity. I cast about a hundred of the round balls tonight. I was actually hoping that they would come out as .31", but it looks like they are .32" in diameter. So that makes them 0 buck, instead of half way between #1 and 0. Oh well. I finally picked up some brass cases for my 16 gauge pinfire, so hopefully I will be able to cook up some buckshot loads with these. It should be interesting to see how well they pattern. And see how I can stack them in the shells. If I can get 3 of them to a layer, I should be able to do a total of 9 pellets. If I have to go with 2 per layer, I may only be able to load 8 pellets per shell. We shall see...

-Mb

mikajo39
08-29-2012, 11:11 PM
:useless:
I want to see! :D

GW
08-30-2012, 1:16 AM
If you want to make 00 Buck, Lee makes molds for that.
Casts 18 00 shot at a time
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=lee+buckshot+mold

gun toting monkeyboy
08-30-2012, 7:17 AM
drat. It looks like 0 Buck is too big to stack in layers of 3. ANd yeah, I saw that Lee mold on youtube last night. There is also a company that makes all different sizes of buckshot molds. I may end up using these 0 in some 12 gauge reduced recoil loads for some of my older shotguns, and go with a #2 Buckshot mold for the pinfire.

-Mb

GW
08-30-2012, 5:17 PM
Sounds cool.
Good luck!