PDA

View Full Version : 800-900$ 1911. Colt or Kimber?

SparkYZ
08-29-2012, 7:51 PM
Looking for a US made 1911. Budget is 8-900. Looks like best bang for buck in this range is a Kimber Custom 2, or a Colt XSE series...

What's a better option? Anything else American made in that price range?

0351USMC
08-29-2012, 7:54 PM
I would buy Sig 1911,they are made in USA

SparkYZ
08-29-2012, 7:55 PM
Is there a sig available in that price range?

CK_32
08-29-2012, 8:00 PM
Used Springfield.

0351USMC
08-29-2012, 8:00 PM

yes,many Sig 1911 are $800-900 range

gti_20ae
08-29-2012, 8:06 PM
You might be able to find Kimber Custom TLE II at that price range, usually around $900. TLE II have a lot more added features than standard Custom II.

RealBarber
08-29-2012, 8:08 PM
get a Colt

well built, its the original manufacturer, has historical significance and holds its value well

Kendoka
08-29-2012, 8:15 PM
Kimber Custom II is a good choice. So is the Springfield Loaded. I have both and they are good out of the box. Both are in your price range. The challenge (and opportunity) with a 1911 is the many customizations, reliability and accuracy jobs, and other refinements that are possible. Think through why you want the gun and what you will be doing with it. I ended up having custom gunsmithing done on both guns that took my total cost for each over $1000. As I took more and more training and started competitive shooting, I ended up getting a Les Baer and other high end 1911’s. If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the first step, and just bought the Baer. It is double your budget, but in the end it would have cost me less.

I would also advise that you thoroughly explore the used gun market. If you aren't in a hurry, you might find a good deal. I have seen a lot of decent deals here on CGN and other marketplaces. Let's face it. A lot of guys buy a 1911, plink with it, and eventually decide to off it at a good price. They are very robust pistols, and a used one with a low round count shows up pretty often. In fact, high round count 1911's may even be a better deal. My Kimber has 20,000+ rounds through. It is still in great shape. My Baer has well over twice that and is still running great. In fact I shot it in a three gun practice match today, and was reminded what a great pistol it is.

dachan
08-29-2012, 8:18 PM

Here's a new one, still at the dealer for $850 out the door; has many more upgrades than a comparably priced Colt or Kimber.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=456595

cjc16
08-29-2012, 8:29 PM
Springfield Mil-spec + ammo.

Kendoka
08-29-2012, 8:30 PM
If you are serious about getting a "Made in the USA" pay attention to the Springfield choices. Some frames are made in Brazil and marked accordingly. But they are all finished in Illinois.

InGrAM
08-29-2012, 8:52 PM
SIG, Colt, Kimber, Remington

The SIG will have the most and best features out of the four in the $800-$900 price range. You really should look at the SIGs.

If you can find an XSE for $900 jump on it but I usually see them going for $1000+ locally and that is when they have them. The 1991 is a lot more common and in the $900 range after DROs and tax but it is very basic design but it is still worth having, IMO.

Good luck

Damiiaaannn
08-29-2012, 8:53 PM
Springfield

Press Check
08-29-2012, 8:53 PM
If those are the only choices, I'd go with Colt.

2shotjoe
08-29-2012, 8:54 PM
Colt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

INFAMOUS762X39
08-29-2012, 8:54 PM
You have great taste, Colt and Kimber are both fantastic choices. It really comes down to personal preference in what you want in a 1911.

I love my Kimber TLE II "worth the extra $ for the strap checkering and night sights", I am saving up for a COLT 1991 Series 80 Government next. I am leaning towards the Blue finish even though I love the Stainless Steel.....

When it comes to 1911's, save up and buy what you want from the start. If not you'll regret it down the road. Just my two cents and most would agree.

SparkYZ
08-29-2012, 9:05 PM
Everything on sigs website has an msrp of 1000+. What models are you talking about?

ChaneRZ
08-29-2012, 9:10 PM
Colt

InGrAM
08-29-2012, 9:10 PM
Everything on sigs website has an msrp of 1000+. What models are you talking about?

Do you buy your cars at or over MSRP?

whipkiller
08-29-2012, 9:53 PM
If you are serious about getting a "Made in the USA" pay attention to the Springfield choices. Some frames are made in Brazil and marked accordingly. But they are all finished in Illinois.

I think you've got that backwards.

dachan
08-29-2012, 9:54 PM

Why pay MSRP? Again, here's a new one, still at the dealer for $850 out the door; that'll save you about $500 off of MSRP, tax and fees.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=456595

dachan
08-29-2012, 9:55 PM
I think you've got that backwards.

No, he had it right.

East Bay Cop
08-29-2012, 9:58 PM
I would say Colt. Seems like Kimbers quality control over the past few years has been down. Several people approx 8-10 I know of bought Kimbers in the past year or two and nothing but probs out of the box. Springfields are great but at that price point your more than likely going to have a Brazilian Springer

Thomas1190
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Another vote for Colt. It may cost a little more but I think it'll all be worth it. Granted there's not as many new Colts as there are kimbers and springers, but when was the last time you've seen a thread where a Colt had finish issues or needed to go back for repair? I havent seen one. I have a Colt O1991 and its been fantastic right out of the box. I love it. Just my two cents :)

keenkeen
08-29-2012, 10:10 PM

No, he had it right.

No, he has it backwards...

The frames are all made in Brazil...

Some are finished in the US and then considered "USA" products.

dachan
08-29-2012, 10:32 PM
No, he has it backwards...

The frames are all made in Brazil...

Some are finished in the US and then considered "USA" products.

No, not all SAI frames are made in Brazil, but all forgings are made in Brazil. Some raw forgings are shipped to the US for machining; the frames that are machined in Brazil are marked Made in Brazil, the ones machined in Illinois are marked Made in USA. Furthermore, some final assembly (mostly the GI models) is performed in Brazil, the rest in USA, but all finishing and packaging is done in the USA.

There is a big difference between forgings and machined frames, in terms of markings and manufacturer. As a measure, consider the case of AR lowers, just the forging and then the completed lower, like how many people care about the forger verses the manufacturer.

Finally, a little research will most likely show that even Colt and Kimber will have foreign made content. At a minimum, I would be extremely surprised if the steel on these guns still came from the US given current USA manufactured steel prices verses China's.

Kendoka
08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I spent all day Saturday with the West Coast independent rep for Springfield. Dachan has it right. Keep in mind that he raw forged piece is not yet a serialized part. If the raw forging is machined and finished in Brazil, it is at the point where it gets a serial number and is roll marked as manufactured in Brazil. If the machining and finishing of the frame from the forged piece is done in the Illinois plant, it get a serial number and is roll marked as made in the US. My understanding is that right now all pistols are assembled, fit and finished in the US. I am not sure if that has always been the case however. As is frequently the case, manufacturers with plants in multiple locations shift production around. Car manufacturers come to mind.

keenkeen
08-29-2012, 11:02 PM
No, not all SAI frames are made in Brazil, but all forgings are made in Brazil. Some raw forgings are shipped to the US for machining; the frames that are machined in Brazil are marked Made in Brazil, the ones machined in Illinois are marked Made in USA. Furthermore, some final assembly (mostly the GI models) is performed in Brazil, the rest in USA, but all finishing and packaging is done in the USA.

There is a big difference between forgings and machined frames. As a measure, consider the case of AR lowers, just the forging and then the completed lower.

Finally, a little research will most likely show that even Colt and Kimber will have foreign made content. At a minimum, I would be extremely surprised if the steel on these guns still came from the US given current USA manufactured steel prices.

A few comments here...

You state that it's "mostly the G.I. model" that is completely built in Brazil...not ture. In the past this model was built in Brazil but not today as the G.I. model has been on "production hiatus" for almost a year. If it comes back I am sure it will be made in and marked "Brazil"

The Mil Spec is now one of the main models mostly completed in Brazil. Lots of US made ones are out there but current production is focused in Brazil.

Other variants are 100% made in Brazil the majority of the time as well. For example, I have yet to see a 9mm Loaded with fixed sights that was not 100% Brazil produced...Every 9mm Loaded with Target sights I have seen has been US produced.

You also state the guns "machined in Illinois are marked Made in USA." are you sure? I have owned many SA 1911s and none of them have been marked with "Made in USA". They have sn#'s starting with NM and are marked "Geneseo Illinois USA"...but the guns completely made in Brazil with sn#s starting "N" or "WW" also say "Geneseo Illinois USA" You will often find "Imbel" or "Brazil" on these guns (under the grips, or on the bottom of the frame under the rails.)

Kendoka
08-29-2012, 11:08 PM
If "made in the USA" is important to anyone, then you should be looking at Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and Nighthawk. Definitely made at home, but get your checkbook out.

t0kie
08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Between those two: Colt, but try to find the Series 70.

keenkeen
08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Finally, a little research will most likely show that even Colt and Kimber will have foreign made content. At a minimum, I would be extremely surprised if the steel on these guns still came from the US given current USA manufactured steel prices verses China's.

Someone about a week ago was claiming the Ruger SR1911 was 100% US made with Stainless Steel produced in the USA. Said they where told that by CS at the Ruger plant...No idea if it has been or can be verified.

1000stars
08-29-2012, 11:22 PM
This thread has become about Springfield Armory USA or Brazil.

Anyways, save $200 more and then look at your options.

Kendoka
08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Here is a decent primer on making a 1911 choice. Creds to the AnarchAngel for his blog post.

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2008/02/so-you-want-to-buy-1911-basic-primer.html

There is also a ton of commentary on M1911.org on this subject, but as is the case everywhere in the 1911 Universe, there are brand zealots for whom the roll mark means as much as the pistol. If you can get to a range that rents guns, shooting them for yourself is probably the best thing you could do. There are also a lot of generous 1911 fans who will let you shoot theirs. I have always been happy to help a guy decide on his first 1911.

cannon
08-30-2012, 7:53 AM
Colt

Iknownot
08-30-2012, 9:40 AM
Lightly used older kimbers ( TLE II) are in your price range. That's the way I'd personally go out of all the choices being talked about. You'd get the best fit and finish, great trigger out of the box, and the most features for your $ if you went that way. You'd just have to be patient until one comes up for sale.

Just my 2 cents.

DArBad
08-30-2012, 9:54 AM
Looking for a US made 1911. Budget is 8-900. Looks like best bang for buck in this range is a Kimber Custom 2, or a Colt XSE series...

What's a better option? Anything else American made in that price range?

In that price range, the stainless Kimber Custom II w/ night sight is my recommendation.