PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Loaded shooting Low

indobos72
08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
So I just took out my 1911 SA loaded to the range and I noticed that it was shooting low. I had to set the front sight above the rear two dots. So basically I had the front sight dot above the top of the rear sight bar. Any idea's on what this could be? I was shooting the Federal 230gr Wally world RN rounds. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

lwlaml
08-29-2012, 3:06 PM
Shooting offhand or from a rest?

What distance?

More often than not, it's the Indian not the bow. Not saying that's true in this case, but try to remove all of the variables to narrow down the problem.

9mmepiphany
08-29-2012, 3:12 PM
Whenever a gun isn't shooting to POA, the best thing to do is shoot it off a bench/rest or have someone else shoot it to see if it shoots to the same place.

How far are you shooting?
How big are the groups you're getting?

If you are, you shouldn't be aiming by aligning the dots on your sights.

static808
08-29-2012, 3:17 PM
my SA milspec also shoots low. supposedly its a widespread issue. a quick google search shows quite a few complaints about it. it doesnt bother me since its not a competition gun, its a HD weapon. if i aim for chest and hit crotch, im okay with that... (okay, that was an exaggeration, my milspec doesnt shoot THAT low!)

i'll eventually send it back to SA for some fine tuning, but she's running like a champ for now...

5.0Driver
08-29-2012, 3:35 PM
You could be anticipating recoil. Have someone else shoot the gun.

Or have someone load a snapcap in the magazine without you knowing where it is in the magazine. That way you can see if you are dropping the gun low when you fire. Proper training and practice can get rid that habit.

CK_32
08-29-2012, 3:40 PM
Your shooting your Springfield low...

Fix one or more of the following
#1 flinch
#2 smooth trigger pull
#3 stance/grip

In that order and you will fix your problem.. And just practice.. I had the same problem with my Glock. About 1k rounds later I finally learned the feel of the gun and now I hit bull. Just go shoot and adjust your guns are like women learn each other. Feel and love each other.. Help eah other out.. And then you will find happiness.

HighLander51
08-29-2012, 3:43 PM
Stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, the fundamentals. That gun should shoot 230's to POA/POI at 25 yards.

JTROKS
08-29-2012, 3:54 PM
230 ball should be grouping high. You can either install a shorter front sight or taller rear sight. My advise is to shoot other ammo brands and weight to see the general POI and if you find one that hits nearest POA to stick with it.

dc2integra
08-29-2012, 4:11 PM
My brother had the same issue with his loaded not to long ago.IT was shooting like 4 inches to the left.He sent it to Springfield and it turns out it had a "burrow" on the barrel.Now the loaded shoots like a champ.

Legasat
08-29-2012, 6:21 PM
My pencil is mis-spelling words...must be a bad pencil ;)

Damiiaaannn
08-29-2012, 6:39 PM
No offense, but it's most likely you.

indobos72
08-30-2012, 9:56 PM
Could be operator error since this is my first 1911. I was out about 15 yards only just to get used to it. I had a blast and love the thing, but even when I steadied and tried my best not to flinch. It still was shooting low. It was 230gr federal RN. I read others had the same issue with the heavier rounds. I appreciate the tips and will try to switch to rest next time. I was shooting off hand but I am pretty accurate with my sig SP2022 and it shoots Dead on all day.

Have to take my daughter shooting this weekend so will try again.

Thanks