PDA

View Full Version : remington model 11

courage1
08-28-2012, 11:10 PM
ok i was given a old remington model 11 and the barrel is really pitted and rusted the receiver isnt that bad it does have a little bit of light rust inside and out the im wondering if its savable i know i probably shouldnt take it out and see if it fires... what would you guys do?

courage1
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
pics

tpuig
08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I'd clean it, and if it functions, shoot it. Then I'd worry about cleaning it up. Might be a good candidate for a coating.

courage1
08-29-2012, 12:05 AM
I'd clean it, and if it functions, shoot it. Then I'd worry about cleaning it up. Might be a good candidate for a coating.

it racks good a little tight though. any chances the barrel could blow up on me? the bore looks nice and shiney from what i see

fal_762x51
08-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Don't use steel shot and keep all 2 and 3/4" lead shot under 1 and 1/4 oz.

tpuig
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
If the bore is clean, you shouldn't have a problem. As mentioned, just use a light load to try it out.

Sicarius
08-29-2012, 6:59 AM
Looks like you may have a crack in the foregrip too. The model 11 is a close cousin of the browning a5. The foregrips are swapable if you do find that you need one. Ramline makes a synthetic for the A5 that I heard swaps over but the stock needs some modification. Unfortunately not all the parts swap over but some can be modified to fit. Barrels are not swapable but I heard that the savage 720 shares the same barrel as the model 11. I have a couple A5s and just recently purchased a "military finish" WW2 model 11 flamimg bomb marked(still in jail). Great shotguns though. Bonnie and Clyde favored the model 11 that was cut down. I would go through and replace all the springs and friction rings before shooting. Worn springs can cause the bolt to bottom out on the receiver thus cracking the bolt which isn't uncommon to happen. Also make sure that you have your recoil settings set right(look up the settings for an A5). Shooting heavy loads and having the recoil settings set for light can also result in a cracked bolt. This is what usually caused the issues I believe. Before putting any effort into refinishing it, Go through and inspect it and see what damage is done. Once you feel confident that it is shootable, replace the old springs and give it a really good oiling/cleaning. Shoot it. If it shoots good then look into getting her polished up nice. I have only shot A5s so far and they are wonderful shotguns. In fact, for a 100+ year old design, they were rereleased this year.
Kevin

courage1
08-29-2012, 2:39 PM
Alright I've been cleaning it up and there is no gauge markings... where do I look

mjsweims
08-29-2012, 7:59 PM
Should be 12 ga.

courage1
08-29-2012, 8:23 PM
Should be 12 ga.

how do i know what " shells?

Sicarius
08-30-2012, 9:37 AM
All model 11s only take 2 3/4 as far as I know. Normally it will be on the barrel but that part might have turned to dust...
Kevin

tpuig
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
IIRC, they only came in 2 3/4"

Carefully test one for fit.

courage1
08-30-2012, 4:14 PM
it chamberd a 3 inch mag shell.. thats why im confuesed

tpuig
08-30-2012, 4:57 PM
I've never seen a barrel marked for 3" on one. They usually say "2 3/4 or shorter shells". Not to say it's the original barrel though. Guess you need to scrub some of the rust off the outside of the barrel with some 0000 steel wool and see if you can read it. I wouldn't shoot a 3" out of it unless you can absolutely determine it's chambered for it.

courage1
08-30-2012, 7:21 PM
I've never seen a barrel marked for 3" on one. They usually say "2 3/4 or shorter shells". Not to say it's the original barrel though. Guess you need to scrub some of the rust off the outside of the barrel with some 0000 steel wool and see if you can read it. I wouldn't shoot a 3" out of it unless you can absolutely determine it's chambered for it.

we cleaned it up and we can see all the markings but there isnt a " marking.. i think im going to take it and ask my local gun shop guy

tankerman
08-30-2012, 7:38 PM
any military markings?

Shrubmaster
08-31-2012, 3:10 AM
Looks like you may have a crack in the foregrip too. The model 11 is a close cousin of the browning a5. The foregrips are swapable if you do find that you need one. Ramline makes a synthetic for the A5 that I heard swaps over but the stock needs some modification. Unfortunately not all the parts swap over but some can be modified to fit. Barrels are not swapable but I heard that the savage 720 shares the same barrel as the model 11. I have a couple A5s and just recently purchased a "military finish" WW2 model 11 flamimg bomb marked(still in jail). Great shotguns though. Bonnie and Clyde favored the model 11 that was cut down. I would go through and replace all the springs and friction rings before shooting. Worn springs can cause the bolt to bottom out on the receiver thus cracking the bolt which isn't uncommon to happen. Also make sure that you have your recoil settings set right(look up the settings for an A5). Shooting heavy loads and having the recoil settings set for light can also result in a cracked bolt. This is what usually caused the issues I believe. Before putting any effort into refinishing it, Go through and inspect it and see what damage is done. Once you feel confident that it is shootable, replace the old springs and give it a really good oiling/cleaning. Shoot it. If it shoots good then look into getting her polished up nice. I have only shot A5s so far and they are wonderful shotguns. In fact, for a 100+ year old design, they were rereleased this year.
Kevin

Everything he said.

Might make a great trench gun copy too:cool:

Sicarius
08-31-2012, 8:14 AM
The 870 magazine extension has the same threads so you can make a great HD/tactical/IPSC gun out of it. You may need a 1/8th spacer depending on which company you go with for the extension. Some actually make ones specifically for the A5 which will bolt right up.You can also replace the carrier with a 2 piece A5 carrier with a little modification to take advantage of the auto chambering feature of the A5(2 piece carrier). The A5 is still to this day, the fastest reloading shotgun from an empty chamber with the bolt locked back.
Kevin

gun toting monkeyboy
08-31-2012, 8:14 AM
It didn't say because in all likelihood, 3" shells didn't exist. It may very well chamber them, but that doesn't mean it is safe to use them. You have an older, beat-up shotgun. Why on earth would you run 3" shells through it in the first place? Clean the whole thing up. If the pits on the barrel aren't too deep, it will shoot 2 3/4 inch shells just fine. Swap out any older springs just to improve it's function, lube it up, and go have fun.

-Mb

Sicarius
08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't think the recoil system is made to handle it to begin with even if it does chamber a 3 inch shell. It may not eject the shell at best and probably wreck the bolt by bottoming it out.
Kevin