PDA

View Full Version : Question about 870 super mag

gradfield
08-28-2012, 6:54 PM
I own a factory spec remington 870 super magnum shotgun (The kind that can use the 3-1/2" shells). The barrel on it is 28", non-rifled which leads me to my two questions which are separate.

First, are there barrels of about the same length that are both riffled and chambered for 3-1/2" shells? I'd like to get the most out of the powder charge when shooting 3-1/2" slugs, although they are VERY accurate in the smooth bore as is.

Second, I'd like to take a tactical shotgun class where we'll definitely be shooting some slugs in self-defense scenarios. To do so however, it is advised I get a much shorter barrel (smaller target presented, maneuverability and all). My only question is, would it be recommended to get a threaded, or non-threaded barrel for this? I've seen how accurate some sabot slugs can be, and it's recommend to have riffling when shooting them; but would it be such a concern with other slugs that I give up being able to shoot shot?

I suspect your answer for the second question may be a resounding "smooth-bore barrel," but I don't know, which is why I ask.

Plisk
08-28-2012, 7:05 PM
I don't thing Remington makes a tactical length barrel for the Super Magnums, at least one doesn't appear in my parts book.

You're going to want a smoothbore, the rifled barrels are intended for shooting ONLY slugs. If you plan to shoot both, smoothbore is the way to go. Remember, the slugs themselves are rifled.

sephy
08-28-2012, 7:47 PM
You should be able to use a regular 18" 870 barrel on your super mag, but you'll be limited to whatever shells the barrel is designed for.

cgates
08-28-2012, 7:59 PM
You should be able to use a regular 18" 870 barrel on your super mag, but you'll be limited to whatever shells the barrel is designed for.

this.

you can put an 18" barrel that has a 3" chamber on your super mag reciever, but then you are limited to 3" shells. Thats ok, because you probably really dont have a true need to be shooting 3" buck/slug loads for a tactical course. Save the big shells for bigger creatures and steel shot.

I have had a super mag for 10+ years and have yet to find a real need for 3.5" 12 ga shells. I thought it was pretty cool when I got it though

from what I understand a rifled slug is not a substitute for full length rifling and I am not even sure how rifling on the projectile would make it spin as it exits the barrel.

mikajo39
08-28-2012, 9:16 PM
I am not even sure how rifling on the projectile would make it spin as it exits the barrel.

It doesn't, the fins or the "rifling" on a rifled (foster) slug reduces the contact surface with the barrel, reducing friction and increasing velocity. How they maintain a straight path of flight is because it is front heavy. Foster slugs are hollowed out. Brenneke slugs are a solid slug with a wad attached to the bottom that stays connected after firing and works as a drag stabilizer maintaining a straight path.

Rifled slug barrels are mostly meant for guys shooting sabot slugs which are designed to take advantage of a rifled barrel and impart spin on the projectile.

doke
08-29-2012, 3:18 PM
Does anyone know which is less expensive if so how much is each new? Exact price would be helpful. : )

gradfield
08-31-2012, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the earlier advice on the barrels guys, much appreciated!

bombadillo
08-31-2012, 8:13 PM
I'd say get a smooth bore super mag barrel and have it cut down to 18.5" or so if you're looking for a good HD gun.